CSW2.5 shaft off centre

Hi I just received my Fanatec CSW 2.5 today and have noticed that the shaft that wheel slots onto is a few cm to the left almost like there is not enough tension to hold it in the centre. When mounting a wheel it tilts to the left, I have calibrated it and it calibrates ok or seems to. When holding the wheel central the software shows 0 which is correct but when i let go it slips to the left and then shows -5 on the software. Is this a hardware fault with the wheelbase or is there something I can do sort it.

latest firmware

BMW Wheel

F1 2020 wheel

Thank you.

Comments

• I think this is normal and just the result of the way the belts and motor interact to find a resting point. I see the same thing on CSL Elite, but it doesn't affect the usage at all.

• Psql .Psql . Member
    edited July 2020

Probably the belts have not moved enough yet and when you let the wheel go it goes automatically to the position it has been in for the last couple of weeks. If centered the driver shows 0 I would say it’s normal and you need to use the wheel a bit more, to make the belts a bit more supple.

• Thanks for the comments guys appreciate it. The only thing I would say is even when the unit is off it is doing it. So when you move it by hand to the central position as you let go it falls to the left but then when you start turning it left or right it stays at those positions it’s just those few degrees of movement at the central position it doesn’t stay still at. Don’t know if that changes anything.

• Also when mounting the wheels you have to mount them at that slight angle and not straight on being to where the shaft is resting.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

The belts have probably rested in that position for a long time, conforming to the shape of the pulley system. If this is causing it, the behaviour should be more apparent when the base is turned off. When it is turned on, the motor can counteract this to some extent, depending on settings.

Try leaving the wheel in a different position each time you aren't using the base, and this behaviour will fade.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Psql .Psql . Member

Yeah that sounds like the belts have a sort of memory location. Also normal that it happens only around that location. If you turn the wheel more the spot is on a long side for example and doesn’t have enough strength to change the wheel rotation. Also normal that it happens when the base is off. Probably in game you will notice it less because the motor is more active. With more usage it will also get less.

But keep in mind when you don’t use the base for a longer period it will return. You can make it less noticeable by rotating the wheel to the left or right so you don’t store it around the center position.

• Thanks Dom so although it moves when off it should operate normally

• ok thanks I was concerned as I could move it left and right and there was a few cm of movement where it wou return back to that off centre point even if you try and move it back to the centre it springs back to that position. Only when a wheel is mounted it looks a bit odd when not using it as it sits in a tilted position, but if you guys say it is normal then all good.

• After I got my DD2 a year ago my CSW 2.5 sat for 8-9 months without being used and I had the same problem with mine, but I didn't notice anything in use but started letting it sit with the steering wheel turned 180 degrees when not in use and the problem went away quite quickly

• Thank you very much.