DD1 notchy into center, any firmware newer than 3.46 / 662 / v30

Bought this DD1 & CSL P1 Xbox wheel in September 2020 and it's been great. Yesterday, on a friends recommendation, I went about upgrading firmware, installed Fanalab, etc. The new features & functionalities are nice however I now have a problem:

If I turn the wheel a few degrees and then return it back to "center" / straight it feels as if it is notching into place / center. I'd say that camming into location may better describe it, as it's not a sharp action but rather as if rolling over a smooth but significant lobe.

The feeling is absolutely coming from the motor / wheelbase, and not the wheel, as I can duplicate with a friends wheel and without a wheel at all (though difficult). It does this whenever the base is on. In Windows, in games, and with the PC off / usb disconnected.

Its a bit more than a minor annoyance because in-game if I'm driving down a straight or around a broad curve and I make minor corrections or overtakes this minute jump has led to corrections and basically poor outcomes.

I'm sorry that I don't know for sure what versions I had before I updated because I honestly didn't realize that there are nothing but betas available for this hardware. I believe (best guess) that the segmented LED on the wheel used to say 556 on power up, but not sure. Here is my update / downgrade progression though:

3.81, 680, V40 - whoa significant concern. Removed and reinstalled again to be sure, issue repeats.

3.80, 681, V40 - same

Removed fanalab - same

3.73, 674, V40 - same

3.56, 670, V38 - slightly reduced concern

3.46, 662, V30 - good experience again, and where I have left it.

I followed the update instruction PDF throughout, including lots of reboots and power cycles.

There are alot of cool features in the newer stuff, and in fanalab, but they aren't worth the very irritating bug. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Comments