Throttle not registering correctly

I recently broke the pot (potentiometer) for my throttle so for the time being, I put my clutch pot in the throttle. I always had the suspicion that the pedal travel wasnt equal to the input sent but never checked it.

I was streaming to discord some practice laps I was doing and my teammate also noticed I was quite throttle heavy and I said that was only 50% but he saw 100% so we checked. With only 50% pedal travel, it was registering 100%. I tried recalibrating my pedal on fana software and iracing with no avail. Anyone know why this occurs? As I said I always had the suspicion it occured so I don't think it's related to the pot swap.

Comments

• Kieran CheungKieran Cheung Member
    edited January 2021

Fanatec CSL Elite LC connected to wheelbase

• It’s very possible the clutch doesn’t have the same length of travel as the throttle so it doesn’t need to rotate so much as the one on throttle.

It might be possible to adjust it but that’s something you should ask Google about.

• I can't confirm, but I think the throttle pot was the same. The numbering/lettering on the pot is the same on both and the gears seem to be the same. Will have to wait for the new pot to arrive to confirm if its because its the clutch pot or not but Im leaning towards no.

• Definitely posts your findings after you get the new pot, I am very interested in this as well. I would sometimes get random throttle spikes or even dips in throttle input. It did happen very rarely, but during one practice session I was randomly spinning out in some corners every handful of laps even with the same throttle input. At first I thought I was just maybe tired and not being consistent with my inputs, but surprisingly it wasn’t. It’s seemed to be tied to a specific throttle input within the range. I did put some compressed air to the sensor and that really seemed to help with that problem. The area that I do game in is carpeted, so I think maybe some lint or dust or something possibly got up in there.....it kind of comes with the territory.

• David SmithDavid Smith Member
    edited January 2021

When you say you broke the pot (potentiometer) was it the black plastic gear of the pot alone or some other of its housing? If it's the plastic gear you could have simply prised it off from the shaft of the other pot and slipped it in the other. They are all the same size. I've had cause to replace many pots and plastic gears from my throttle and clutch during the course of owning my previous CSL Elite pedals and have done so...Either replacing the entire potentiometer or swapping the plastic gear/s when teeth got worn or broken.

Whether replacing the entire potentiometer or just swapping the gear there is a proper way to install though re positioning of the gear (otherwise you may have problems). When I was having my issues a helpful Fanatec customer rep sent me the following guide for so doing so I'll share with you. This is the guide for properly replacing the potentiometer. Hope it helps. Let me know.

• Hi, I broke the gearing but since I don't have many tools around or the knowledge. I had it RMAd. New pot should come soon as I received an email from support a couple days ago. Thanks for the pdf, I received this off them too - going to try knocking it back a tooth or 2 and seeing if that helps tomorrow.

• Cool. Hope you get the new pot soon. I had to change so many I just happened to have one or two spares around to swap gears at least until I got new pots. That's the thing I don't like about the CSL Elite pedals. Those damn potentiometers get dirty so quick and cause sticking and/or the gears teeth get worn and broken. I guess the same goes for all potentiometer pedals. I've had my full of frustration with them. Since gotten a V3 pedals set and breathing a sigh of relief ever since...no more potentiometers Amen. Do some research on it and if you can buy ASAP.

• Originally looked at the V3s however, budget constraints of a uni student stood in the way. I tried moving it a tooth or 2 and it just meant the throttle started at a constant 20% and moved upwards with travel so rip that idea. Just waiting for new pot now as my final solution before RMA or selling it