[LIN] FFB Linearity Tuning Menu Setting now set to ON by defaut?

So, with the new Driver 400 package what is recommended for sims like AMS2 and Raceroom with regards to LIN setting? Should it be on?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Personal preference. Try both, stick with what You prefer. Ignore other people's opinions. Including mine! :-)

• LIN will flatten the peak force available with the current FFB settings and makes them more linear, so holding force and peak force are closer together. Overall FFB will feel weaker with LIN on, so as Gary already said, it comes down to personal preference, try both and see what you like more :)

• Thanks Guys, I'll give it another go both ways.

• Does LIN work like before or is there something changes how it filter FFB peaks?

With older drivers/firmware I liked to keep it OFF so it don´t filter anything, except iRacing ON where collision FFB is way too strong and you can´t tune it from game.

Is it really just "personal taste" of matter or is there anything to do with realism and immersion how it should feel, so ON/OFF...Barry from Sim Racing Garage turned it OFF with his Fanatec DD review.

• nothing was changed, it's really only the default settings which changed now. with LIN off you don't have to use high FFB settings to get good and strong FFB.

And yes that's personal taste, Barry's personal preference is to use LIN at off.

• Okay thanks, that was what I wanted to make sure 🙂

• It's still a mystery to me as to what this actually does in practice, despite understanding the explanation of what it does in theory. I don't understand why it seems to make all FFB weaker even when the wheel is at lower settings when spikes will still be below the max torque capabilities of the wheelbase. If it works as previously described I would have thought it would simply scale all forces down at higher settings so the highest forces don't exceed the max holding capability of the wheelbase so the response remains linear with the game output. I don't understand why for example all forces at 30 LIN on are weaker than all forces at 30 with LIN off. At such a low setting I would have thought the response would remain linear with the game output whether LIN was on or off and would expect either setting to feel the same.

Even more of a mystery why LIN on is the new default when Fanatec's recommended settings are LIN off for every sim. Makes absolutely no sense - thanks Fanatec for explaining so well why you did this.

• With LIN on the bases get limited to the rated holding torque, rather than the actual max torque they could output.

So the DD1 has a peak and holding torque of 15Nm, instead of a peak of 20Nm and the DD2 has a peak and holding torque of 20Nm, instead of 25Nm of peak. The whole FFB strength is adjusted to the new max torque available with LIN on.

So with LIN on 50% of FFB on a DD1 is 15/2 = 7,5Nm of max torque while LIN off it's 20/2 = 10Nm of max torque. So overall FFB is weaker and to reach the same forces you need to set the FFB higher.

The recommended settings simply aren't updated yet to this change.

• I guess that makes sense. I would have thought it would make sense to have LIN only have effect when there was a realistic possibility of the holding torque being exceeded though. In many instances this will have no negative effects, as spikes that increase force above holding torque tend to be short transients, kerbs, bumps etc. that can be handled well enough by the bases ability to exceed holding torque for short periods. Maybe Eau Rouge is the problem! Why change the recommendations if the functionality hasn't changed?