CSL LC pedal pressure point

Hi just installed the LC and out the box its like pressing a brick, I had to turn the brake force down from 50 to about 10 to get any decent braking. I also found that the braking was inconsistent, sometimes full pressure does not give me full braking in the game (PC2). Then I noticed that the ball of my foot naturally rests on the lower half of the pedal and full pressure there does not give full braking but if I press on the top half of the pedal the braking is better.

Is this normal? I thought the hall sensor works off pressure but it looks like it depends where that pressure is applied. I guess its something you need to adapt to as on the non-LC pedal it didn't matter where on the pedal you pressed.

Comments

• Phisics man. The hall sensor is working off pressure.

But a pedal is working with the lever application (the one we used in physics back in school)

So the lower you try to press the pedal (closer to its moving position) the more force you have to apply with your foot to move it.

The moment arm (lever arm) of a force system is the perpendicular distance from an axis to the line of action of a force. In other words, moment arm determines the quality of the torque. An important concept to remember is that the moment arm changes with the angle of application of the force (angle of insertion).

Simply stated, torque is the ability of a force to cause rotation on a lever (moment of force). The more detailed definition of torque is that it is a force applied over a distance (lever arm) that causes rotation about a fulcrum (axis of rotation).

So in the above pic is easy to spot... The lower you try to press the more force you need to apply.

• Now looking at your diagram it makes sense, it was never noticeable with the non LC. Thanks for taking the time.

• AndreasAndreas Member
    edited March 2021

So, Andrew, I had exactly the issues you describe.

Somewhere I came across a recommendation (by Fanatec I guess) to not use values below 30 or 40.

I finally returned the LC after a lot of fiddling around. However there seem to be quite a lot of "happy users". They tend to use higher force though.

(The so called "physics" post above is the most BS I've ever seen, btw. Trust me on this one.)

Sure, you have a bit more torque when pressing further up, but there was definiitely something strange going on when I was pressing different parts of the brake. Just too inconsistent.

Wonder what Fanatec would answer here. I'm still playing with the thought of getting a LC again, maybe mine was just a bit faulty. (and yours obv.)

• So the so called physics is bullshit? Maybe for you the earth is flat as well.

The physics above was to describe WHY when you press a brake pedal lower is harder to go on full pressure, since the OP described that

"Then I noticed that the ball of my foot naturally rests on the lower half of the pedal and full pressure there does not give full braking but if I press on the top half of the pedal the braking is better."...

And yes.... Because of the BS Physics example when pressing every time on different part of the pedal you will be inconsistent because you muscle memory always changing since you have to press harder or softer (depending where you press).

You got it now or do you want me to draw it for you?

• Indeed it’s just physics. Also a reason why more expensive loadcell brake pedals have some more tuning options to adapt the pedals and axle to your liking.

Also the reason why you will never need to push 90kg on a Fanatec pedal and need more in the neighborhood of half the force. If you are even lower on the pedal it can easily make a difference of a few kg more is needed then when you press higher on the pedal.

Maybe good to watch this video below:

• Calm down physics plebs, this is not facebook.

It's OK if you need a video or a convoluted drawing with copy/pasted text to understand what torque is.

I was talking to Andrew and maybe a Fanatec "official":

My point was that there is indeed a lot of inconsistency depending on how you press the pedal.

• A Fanatec "offical" will tell the exact same thing. Also Fanatec can't change the physics here.

Our point is also that it is inconsistent and we exactly tell why it is inconsistent. All load cell pedals have the exact same behaviour. Moving up or down the pedal face a little bit or change your foot position and the required forces has changed.

Nothing you can do about it except to accept it works this way and to train your self, adapt your setup so you press the pedal in the most consistent way. A lot of people know this and understand it and can get the most out of their loadcell pedals and don't want to go back to hal sensors or potentiometers.

• Quite an impressive assortment of "absolutes" there.

• Please re-read this: Posting Guidelines — Fanatec Forum, where it states, "There are plenty of ways to get your point across in a decent manner, rude behavior will always invite more rude behavior, which solves nothing".

• "BS Physics" LOL I have the CSL LC's and yes they can be inconsistent, but that inconsistency is in yourself. The higher up the pedal, the more force you exert. After a while you learn through muscle memory to hit it in the same place...gaining consistency.