V3 brake performance kit help needed

Hi, I have purchased the V3 pedals with the Brake Performance kit and need some help please.

So when I set up the Brake performance kit even on the soft setting I feel that the pedal travel is too short for me. I like to have travel on my brake can anyone give advice on how I can setup the brake performance kit to allow the maximum travel available when using the kit. When the brake has very low travel I really struggle with brake control and trail braking etc. Also on a side note does the BRK get softer after a period of use. Hope someone can help me with the above. Thanks

Comments

• If you want more travel then with the softest setting of the brake performance kit (BPK). Just don’t use the kit, the default gives you more travel.

You only need to use the BPK if you want a fermer pedal with less travel. The harder you go with the setting the less travel you will have.

• I understand what your saying but if there is a way I can further improve the braking from the default without losing so much travel then I would like to consider that also. On a side note what was the brake like on the CSL elite load cell pedals is the V3 brake better worse or the same

• Psql .Psql . Member
    edited March 2021

The CSL is already a lot fermer out of the box in my opinion. It also requires a higher force on the pedal with the same BrF setting. Maybe it’s even comparable with the softest setting of the BPK. I used the CSL’s with softest bushings before I upgraded to the V3s and found the default V3 bushings way to soft. Ended up using the medium setting of the BPK.

But have you tried the V3’s without the BPK? What is your real goal? Only to have a travel setting that is in between the default and the softest BPK setting? You could play with the preload which removes some travel in stock config. But don’t think you can do anything else. Or try to find a BPK of a 3rd party that has a softer setting. But never seen any other options.

• I m really curious about the value of red preload screw using brake performance kit. With red 13 and green 13, which should be the value?

• Michael GrayMichael Gray Member
    edited March 2021

Yes I have it currently without the BPK and the preload dial around 2 which is better but not perfect just yet. One other thing I was thinking is maybe using the BPK with one of the default blocks as part of the mix. Is this a viable option or should you not mix the two

• Just try some values and stick with the one you like. It’s so personal, not something we can answer.

• Can I mix the original blocks with the BPK so one of the original and one from the kit

• edited March 2021

Yes, you can mix them, just as long as the overall length is equal to the original two long white elastomers, that are installed from the factory. Or the same length as two green/red, and small white from BPK. Those two combinations are very close in over-all length.

If the combination you choose is longer than the originals(or red/green, and short white from kit), you will have to cut one down, so that the original over-all length is preserved.

Because if the over-all length is longer, it doesn't provide the minimum required length of piston rod into the cylinder, and may gall/damage piston wall by being forced into cylinder at an improper angle, because enough of the piston hasn't been allowed to be inserted deep enough to afford proper alignment with cylinder wall.

And, if you exceed the original over-all length, it will also be more difficult to re-install piston rod to pedal.

And if you don't use at least one white elastomer(short or long), you will have a VERY difficult time trying to re-install piston to pedal.

I believe a white elastomer MUST be inserted into cylinder FIRST, prior to any other elastomer. At least the BPK states the small white must be installed first, prior to installing the red/green elastomers.

• Ok thanks for the detailed response I did ask the same question to Fanatec direct and they said no don’t do it as the default elastomers are softer and you can bend or break them mixing with the harder elastomers so not sure what to do

• I use the softest setup from the BPK and I had the same issue as you. I mostly drive rally and like a bit of pedal travel.

It took a little while but the BPK did loosen up some and allowed for more pedal travel. Now that it is settled in, it actually feels very similar to the brake pedal in my Focus RS and Veloster N. Make sure that you don't add a bunch of pre-load with the adjustment on the brake pedal. Just take up the slack if you have any.

• edited March 2021

Also, don't forget that there are softer combinations of elastomers, that give you three more options, and can provide even softer pedal pressure/travel limits.  12red/13red; 13red/13red; 12red/12green. Which will provide soft; medium; and hard, in that order. That are not included in the Fanatec BPK installation guide. These are even softer than the ones in the guide booklet, and not even shown in the BPK hardness graph.

Just because Fanatec doesn't list them in the BPK installation guide book, doesn't mean you can't use them. 

I personally use the softest option of all, 12red/13red/small white. It provides what I myself feel, similar progressive pedal pressures, that I find in my personal automobiles. That may not be what race cars are like, but as they say, it's ALL purely subjective, and it's what I am use to using in my daily driving. It's all about "muscle memory", and if I don't have to get use to a different "muscle memory" than what I use in my daily driving, my braking is more consistent on sim games.

You could even use one of the original large WHITE elastomers, in combination with any ONE of the red/green elastomers. Play with ANY combination you need to, to get what YOU feel is something that works for you. 

But, ALWAYS remember, the over all length of ANY combination used, has to fit into the cylinder, and allow you to screw the preload adjustment screw, into the ALLOWABLE adjustment window

• I’ve done the 12 red 13 red works really well thanks man

• Big shout out to grant the red red combo brilliant I can even trail brake now cheers man I’ve spent a lot of money and really couldn’t get the brakes down they need to include the options you gave in the set up chart thanks again pal

• edited March 2021

You're welcome, Michael.

I'm glad I could help.

I can't understand why Fanatec doesn't include those other three options in the chart.

Why constrain the possible combinations, when there are three more combinations available, with the elastomers provided, in the BPK?

I tried the 12red/13 green/small white, and it still felt like pushing an immovable brick, with very limited pedal travel. Trail braking seemed to be almost impossible, with such limited travel.

YMMV, since it's ALL purely subjective.

By adding every elastomer into the equation, including cutting/modifying elastomers, ANYONE should be able to find a combination that suits their style of driving.

I have a feeling Fanatec may include those three "missing" options, into a future Installation Guide. Since they must have listened to customer complaints, when they provided the (new) BPK's, with the plastic angled wedge piece, to ease brake pin to pedal installation.

• Hello, I followed Grant's instructions, so I added them in this order: the small white first, then the 13red, and last the 12red.

But it's horrible, the max I can press is 1-2 cm, it's horrible stiff.

Did I do something wrong, or maybe the wrong order?

I just upgraded from G27 pedals to V3 pedals with the Brake Performance kit. Everything is a bit overwhelming now, and to be honest the experience is not so great :( I was really hoping for a realistic feel.

I am playing normal stock/streetcars in Assetto Corsa, I am interested in getting better with my muscle memory. I want the pedals to feel like real cars as they can.