DD2 Dead on Arrival

Hi,

Like some other posts on this forum my brand new DD2 appears to be dead on arrival.

Essentially on first start the fan ran at 100% with no wheel detected. I opened up the Fanatec Wheel Properties and it asked me to update the firmware which I did. The firmware update completed successfully but the wheelbase disappeared from device manager and the Firmware Updater reported the following message.

Wireless Quick Release Update Mode

Error: Connect Device Failed(Error: Initial Ping Failure: No response received for ping command.)

In this state the display on the wheelbase shows nothing and it is no longer possible to access the Fanatec Wheel Properties rather the device is now detected as a FANATEC UPDATE PORT (COM3) in device manager presumably awaiting the Wireless Quick Release Update that never happens.

I am able to restore some access to the wheelbase by reverting to an older firmware (driver 373) but all that achieves is restoring it to the original state where the fan runs at 100% and no wheel is detected. Essentially still unusable.

For the record both the motor and wireless quick release firmware are listed as 0 which seems indicative of an error but any attempt to update the motor firmware manually fails and there is no option to do so for the wireless quick release.

I assume the wheelbase is fundamentally broken but with no other options I have tried the various troubleshooting steps described in the Driver & Firmware update manual to no avail and I'm posting here in case someone has found a silver bullet. Anyone?

I gather from other posts detailing the same problem that the wheelbase will have to be returned which is particularly disappointing given that I've yet to even use it. This is my first Fanatec purchase and whilst I do appreciate that I might just be unlucky here the other posts to the same effect do not exactly inspire confidence.

I raised a support case last Friday, it is now Tuesday, and I have yet to hear back from Fanatec. Can anyone advise on the expected turn around time for support requests?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• turnaround is minimum of 1 week or more from my expierence.

• Support responded Wednesday morning which given that I raised the request late Friday is pretty good. Thanks for that Fanatec!

As expected the wheelbase is being returned and was collected the next day.

• Just to close the loop here, the replacement wheelbase arrived the following Friday so it took two weeks in total.

Confirming that the new wheelbase works as expected.

• I have the same symptoms. Can you tell me what the problem is?

• John AllenJohn Allen Member
    edited June 2021

Same issue for me. Got the wheel on Thursday June 17th, installed on the 18th after work and updated the firmware. I was able to play with it for an hour before bed. In the morning of the 19th it was no longer working. I spent nearly all of that day running all of the fixes listed across the forums and internet. Its still not working, and like above the motor and wireless quick release now show firmware version 0 and wont let me update. if I update the wheelbase to the latest 684 I'm treated with a wheel that doesn't make any noise at all and has a blank display. Also, the shaft does not turn on boot with any firmware version. This tells me that the firmware broke the wireless connection between the base and the motor or was about to give out regardless. I don't know how many wheels are shipped like this but it seems something is getting past QC that probably needs to be re evaluated.

https://youtu.be/xGK-EGHMvOI