Podium DD1 Wheel: Fan Noise and dongle restriction

Hi everybody.

Just two quick questions:

1) How loud is the fan of the DD1?

2) how much force feedback power is left if you don't plug in the dongle that comes with it?

I am thinking about buying the Playstation Podium F1 DD wheel, but shoveling out 1800 bucks isn't easy.... I need to be 100% convinced that it is worth the money, because otherwise I will wait for the PS version of the CSL DD, which might be just a little underpowered for my taste, but still good enough. I don't need the full 20nm and I want to save some energy, so not using the dongle might be an option to consider.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Denis,

The fan is very quiet, and basically never needs to spin up to a high RPM in normal use (even at 100% FF). I'm sure your PlayStation is louder!

If you don't use the Torque Key, the peak torque at 100% FF setting is about 9 Nm. If you are considering this for energy saving, then running the overall FF setting lower with the Torque Key connected has the same effect. You wouldn't want to lose it! The Torque Key is just a safety measure, if you want to limit the strength with a physical key (for example if a young person is using it).

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• I don't know how much of a hurry you're in to make a purchase, but if you're ok with the idea of waiting until sometime next year at the earliest for the PS-compatible CSL DD (which as far as i know hasn't even been officially announced yet), it's worth considering.

Assuming that it's priced nearly the same as the Xbox/PC version, you'd be getting a base capable of generating up to 8nm of torque (with the boost kit), then pair that with a suitable formula-style rim and you'd be getting performance that's more or less on par with a DD1 (minus some extra torque), for roughly 1/3 of the price. Granted, for some people, that difference in torque makes all the difference, but for a lot of people, I think the price/ performance ratio of the CSL DD is going to prove to be tough to beat.

• Denis BrownDenis Brown Member
    edited October 2021

thank you for the info! That is some valuable data for me. I play on the PS5, though, which is barely audible.

Please note that I wrote you a press request via mail (well, to your german staff that is).

yeah, I have been considering it, but that wheel might not be released so soon, and I really want to move on to a DD wheel soon. 8nm is just a bit lower than what I'd prefer (10 - 12nm are perfect in my eyes)