CSL DD FFB Variances AC vs ACC

My CSL DD and McLarenGT3 arrived last week, I've been using a G920 for over a year with AC. When I first used the CSL DD, I found the movement and feel of the wheel+base to rattle and jolt - nowhere near as smooth as I was expecting (from all the youtube videos of people amazed by the same upgrade). The FBB was not particularly strong or smooth either - the wheel would bang from side to side. I spent a few hours adjusting settings but never achieved anything I would consider a massive upgrade from the G920. I thought something was wrong with the product and was about to contact fanatec.

The next day I tried ACC (fresh install on my PC so all settings at default). And wow, what a difference! The smoothness, precision and detail through the wheel was exactly like I was hoping for, it's addictive.

I've really struggled to understand the difference here. I know the physics and FFB is expected to be better in ACC over AC but should it really be this significant? At the moment, I would not bother returning to AC knowing how much better ACC feels :(

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have advice?

Some potential points of relevance:

• I've updated all firmware and drivers
  • My PC is made from old parts. I built a budget gamer from spare parts on ebay/fb (Athlon 2 X4 640, GTX 970, Asrock Extreme3 970) - no USBC
  • When first setting up the wheel and base, both kept disconnecting from the PC, this interrupted the first firmware update. After a couple of reboots everything has remained ok.
  • Performance in AC is the same in both PC mode and compatibility mode.

Comments

• David ChiengDavid Chieng Member
    edited November 2021

You can tell from the in game FFB settings that AC and ACC is quite different and you just have to tweak it to your liking.

I tried using the same settings from ACC and feed that into AC and it felt really heavy and rough. Had to reduce the gain and put in a bit of road effects etcetera...

I don't think the 2 games transmit the same information to the wheel base for the same settings. Seems AC may be over amplifying the effects to compensate for detail?

I am currently using, in ACC, for CSL DD + McLaren GT3 V2:

gain 70%

minimum force 2%

dynamic damping 100%

road effects 0%

What are you using?

Still want to try out other possibilities.

• Are you running the dad in comparability mode for ACC ? Mine don’t see the CSL DD, if I’m in pc mode ?

• Yup. ACC does not recognise base in PC mode. Updated drivers in PC mode.

Lets see how long before an update in ACC will recognise the base.

• Gregg DomainGregg Domain Member
    edited November 2021

Re: Settings for AC, I had been pretty happy with the Fanatec Recommended Settings here on the forum with my CSL DD (5nm), with a bit of tweaking.

Tonight I tried Ermin Hermanovic's (sp?) settings just to experience any difference and see what I thought. He seems to like very noisy, rough feedback (tried his settings for RaceRoom as well and came to the same conclusion). Even just driving down a straight, there was an excessive amount of vibration and chatter constantly coming through the wheel... it felt like I had granite tires rolling over rough concrete.

I needed to bump up the Gain in game to about 75-80 to get a good feeling of weight while cornering, but this made the "constant granite tires" feeling worse. However, I did find that by increasing the wheel's INT setting to about 4 or 5, and dropping FEI to 90, I was able to smooth out a lot of the harshness and it actually feels really good to me now. Some cars still need individual adjustments, but for the most part I'm very happy with how AC feels with the CSL DD. 👍

• frits meijfrits meij Member
    edited November 2021

You are better off asking this question in an AC-forum, since it is probably not a base problem. From memory it is best to start new, which you do by deleting the Assetto Corsa folder, think it is in documents, or parts of it (you can delete the entire folder, but I think it also has setups in it etc.). That forces the game to create these file new and so you have a fresh start. Alot of people like the FFB of AC more than ACC btw, but in any case both should be good.

• Something is wrong with your AC installation, that is not normal. Especially the older cars like the 250 GTO are way better to control with the CSL DD, coming from a CSL Elite. In fact I was blown away how much better the FFB is, and I was pretty happy with my CSL Elite, too. I'm using the CSL DD in pc mode only, no need for compatibility mode.

Verify your game files and if that doesn't help rename your "Assetto Corsa" folder in your documents folder to start with a new profile.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

I agree with the post above, it sounds like something is wrong with your AC installation. Of course AC and ACC feel a bit different but it is not night and day and you can use pretty much the same Tuning Menu settings on both and have a decent experience.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• You managed AC with PC mode on CSL DD base? I did not try that. Will give it a go to see if there are any differences… 👍️

• edited November 2021

Thanks for the responses everyone, the feedback was really helpful. Sorry for such a late reply, I ended up re-installing windows and re-installing the fanatec drivers. This has resulted in a huge improvement for both AC and ACC.

Previously, most FBB resulted in the wheel base rattling and banging, it was nowhere near smooth. Kerb and braking effects were also quite unpleasant. It almost felt like an old belt driver motor that was losing grip. The CSL DD also used to loose resistance under high FBB, which was awful. All this has disappeared now and the wheel is perfectly smooth and the level of detail is excellent.

On a side note, it also fixed an issue I was having with my pedals, both the brake and acceleration pedal used to reach max at about 10% pressure, they are back working smoothly now as well.

I'm really not sure what went wrong in the first place, the driver and firmware installation appeared to be correct but obviously something wasn't right.