Will there be an upgraded version of DD1?And some of my doubts~

I am still using CSW and it is perfect for me~But I really want to experience DD, Due to various doubts, I still haven't purchased DD, DD1/2 seems to have some deficiencies~?

1.I often see the problem of insufficient firmness of the steering wheel from some DD1/2 user videos or discussions. I guess it seems to be caused by the deformation of the rubber?

2.In addition, DD1/2 will the power switch be changed to be like DD PRO /DD CSL? Place the power switch to the front. Not in the hard-to-reach tail.

3.Regarding the display screen, I would like to know if there is a possibility that the OLED will burn out? For example, erythema after long-term use~? This is just my concern. I have not seen any feedback on this issue. In fact, I prefer it to be a more stable LCD.

Comments

• Gagaryn .Gagaryn . Member
    edited December 2021

All products from all manufacturers get updated or replaced periodically. When this will be is anyones guess but the current DD1 and DD2 models are now 2+ years old...

The current quick release shaft (QR1) is a pain. A new version (QR2) was due to be released at the beginning of this year but did not appear. No explanation why from Fanatec and no revised timescales. Only the usual - soon™.

Having the power button on the front poses the risk of knocking it with your knuckles accidentally whilst racing. For this reason alone, I think the back is a better place for it. The DD2 comes with an emergency stop button. This also includes a power on/off button. I have never used mine as an emergency stop but use it all the time power on/off.

The OLED will degrade over time. This is an inherent issue with OLED technology. My DD2 is almost two years old and the OLED is still fine. I do have a couple of other items with OLED displays and these needed replaced, one after 8 years and the other after 10 years. I don't expect to be using my wheelbase in 8 years. Also to note that the OLED screen is absolutely useless - using it to display telemetry negatively impacts the quality of the FFB making it redundant.

• Looking forward to the QR2 version~~ The video looks like QR2 can achieve a real quick release of the steering wheel.The official information is too little, perhaps to avoid the sales of old products?but it also makes people like me who have been waiting for them to make improvements feel that they are far away~ very helpless

Unfortunately, Through some user experience, DD1 is not equipped with an emergency switch~ As a result, you need to touch the rear panel to find the switch every time you turn on it. This is a shortcoming for DD1~ and the price of emergency switch is a bit too high~

Although I haven't used DD CSL before, in my experience of using CSW, the distance between the switch and the steering wheel is completely enough to prevent accidentally touching the power switch. In fact, to turn off the base, you need to press and hold the power switch to turn it off. Assuming that it is touched, no error will occur. It would be more reasonable if they changed the switch of DD1 to front like DD CSL.

My ROG water cooling also uses an OLED screen. After only three months of use, it has erythema (screen burn), which causes me to lose confidence in the durability of OLED~maybe it is my stereotype. Although this does not represent the quality of FANATEC~ but there are concerns after all~ and LCD may not display as good as OLED~ but at least it is more durable than OLED.

• For me the QR1 works fine. It sticks trying to pull it off, but there's no official timing me. I'm sure the QR2 will be better but I have no plans to upgrade my P DD & 4 wheels whenever it's released.

I bought the emergency switch. It's expensive for what it is, but it's a nice feature. I made the grave mistake of letting the wheel go, then trying to catch it again. Now anyone that tries the rig gets strict instruction on the kill switch. Plus I always use the power button. In the end it makes the whole system safer and better so money well spent.

The OLED may burn in/out in a dozen years. I'm sure I'll order the part a tear it apart for under $100. My rig isn't even on for more than couple hours at a time, every couple days. More when it was new, and more when GT7 comes out, but typical usage over the years won't be a screen-murderer. The overall quality level of all my Fanatec products tells me nothing is going to fall apart anytime soon.

I'd say go for it. That's what I did and I don't regret it (mostly). I MIGHT have gone for the 8nm DD Pro w/ LC if that package was even remotely available (like it is now) when I purchased my setup just because it would have been over $1k cheaper than the P DD w/V3 pedals.

If you're anywhere near Santa Maria California, you're welcome to come hit some laps on my rig.

• jiahon xiejiahon xie Member
    edited December 2021

😃thanks~

I Continue the long wait.Expect them to make better products

• The DD1 QR is fine. Finger trouble in videos when attaching wheel, so make sure the rubber is nipped up so can't be pushed back when sliding wheel on.

I made a remote switch for my DD1. Details in forum.

Great bit of kit.