Something is wrong with my DD PRO :_(

So, I receive my new CSL GT DD PRO today, mount in on my rig and there is a problem from the moment I turn my base ON.

There is a constant, tiny but constant vibrations (and it change frequency) in the base. No matter if wheel is on the base or not, no matter is base connect to my PS5 or my PC, in game or without game, there is a constant vibrations, more pronounced if the wheel is attached. I tought it was vibrations from my F1 wheel but no, with UH is the same. If I detach the wheel, when I put my hands on the base, I can feel it.

When driving Gran Turismo Sport, those vibrations are always there and they are so irritating, completly ruining my experience.

Second problem, when I center my wheel it can't stand still in that place, it will roll a little to the left or right, no metter if the wheel is attached or not. Same thing no matter base is on or off.

So, is my Express Delivery turning into a ruined Christmas or there is a problem in the drivers/firmware?

Comments

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Zeljko,

When the motor is turned on, there can be very slight vibrations/noises due to the motor controller, which is constantly active. It controls many aspects of the performance. So it could be considered normal (depending on how much vibration/noise you are talking about).

The wheel rolling slightly left or right is normal due to the position of the magnets inside the base, although the behaviour should be significantly reduced when the base is turned on, and reduced further when the base is receiving an active force-feedback signal with strong self-aligning torque.

I suggest that you open a support ticket including a video that demonstrates the noises.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Noises ain't a problem, you can hear them when your ear is very close to the base or wheel, vibrations are real problem, no matter am I driving, or standing still or even don't play anything, just put the hands on wheel, vibrations are constantly there and when I start to drive it's still vibrating besides normal vibrations from the game

About rolling, if I use default settings, when I let go wheel on the straight car will start to turn to one or another side. I noticed, when I raise NFR above 20 it can be still and hold the straight direction (but that is way above recommended settings from forum for GTSport)

Should I before opening the ticket, try to reinstall the drivers first?

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

You can try updating firmware contained in the 432 beta driver: https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/24389/fanatec-driver-432beta-for-csl-csw-and-podium-wb-all-wheels

A higher NFR value increases overall resistance to any rotation, so this is why it reduces this behaviour. But a high NFR value is not recommended because it hides the fine detail and reduces responsiveness, which are the key advantages of direct drive.

Bear in mind that the responsiveness of direct drive is contributing to the wheel moving from side to side. As soon as you are rolling at a reasonable speed, the FFB signal is providing self-aligning torque which wants to hold the wheel straight, but subtle bumps in the road, and other physics cues will be constantly creating small movements to the left or the right. If you let go of the wheel while a car is rolling, there are so many factors that influence what happens next. This behaviour also varies massively between sims, and even between cars and tracks (some are far more prone to oscillation than others, which is a related topic). The hardware characteristic of magnet positions affecting slight movement off centre is only one of many factors. Generally it is not recommended to let go of the wheel while you are driving.

• Damn... Today, when I back home from work, turn my base on and shock, no vibrations. I didn't change firmware or settings, just turn it on.

Sometimes there is a slight vibrations, just like you describe it, but that is nothing compared to last night. Same thing when I'm driving.

Like this was completely different base from last night 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Perhaps the time spent in a warm room helped after a long time at low temperatures during delivery 🤔

Thanks for the help Dom 🍻

• The vibration will come back. I had the same problem, I got an RMA for mine.

Touch the back of the wheelbase when it happens, mine was quite warm, a lot warmer than my CSL DD ever got even after hours of driving, and my GT DD Pro would get warm within minutes when the vibration occurs.

• You have my sympathy, I've just received my GT DD PRO today and Wheel base motor is under firmware v.0.0.0.0 and I can't update it... I can't find a way to flash the right firmware.

I believe that were damage made on transportation, outer and inner boxes with signs of strong impact :-(

I've opened a ticket, but I am highly frustrated as I've paid the premium to get the express version and now I have no idea when can I play again, just hope Fanatec support provide me good support.

• edited December 2021

I noticed that vibrations come occasionally, sometimes when I turn base On they are back, sometimes don't. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last night I was driving 5 hours and it was OK. I will monitor the situation, maybe wait for new firmware and if it's continues I will send it back, but I will rather wait after New Year because now it will be madness with delivery services

You can see here how wheel jerks when vibrations occurs. And that vibrations are pretty intense and annoying. Never noticed that base getting warmer in any case, but I am using base for short time. As i said, I will monitor the situation, we'll see.

• Ouch, I can understatnd how are you feel mate.

Can't blame Fanatec for anything, this things are normal these days, as I noticed they have very good support and I don't expect no problems with that, but I will rather wait until this Hollyday madness is over.

I wonder what causes this kind of behavior? It's not constantly there, it comes from time to time and only when I turn the base on. It will never comes while I driving. Maybe something while start-up calibraton?

• Hi m8, Have you got any response from Fanatec Support? I received my CSL DD PRO last week and i have also motor firmware 0.0.0.0 problem. The packege i received was ok, no signs of any damages. I have contacted Fanated 2 different ways, but no answers. I'm also quite angry of situtation because i spent extra 150 euros to get it fast and before christmas and now it looks that it was waste of money.

• Yes i did. But it was friday evening and close to 4pm. I founded that link too late and didnt think that would work that fast. It forwarded me to put some ticket. During the weekend i sended email to Fanatec. Usually companies with customer service replyes in next business day.

• I think I read somewhere on website that they will replay in up to five days or something like that.

• Dont know did it help but right after my posts here i received email from Fanatec and base is now on the way back to Fanatec. They will inspect it and lets see do i get new base or what happens..

• Good luck mate, let us know how it went

• I'm back racing, and I have to say that my experience with the RMA was great, in 7 working days, I was able to get the RMA validation (on a Saturday!!!), On a Monday, I've shipped back the GT DD Pro (took it to UPS facility to speed things up) and on Tuesday the following week I've got back a new bundle, this was from Portugal to Germany. I have to say that during the all process the communication with Fanatec was very fluid and the guys I've spoke understood everything perfectly and used UPS Express to get me the new bundle before Xmas (at no extra cost).

Funny enough, wheel base, Wheel motor and Rim came updated with the latest firmware, which indicates that Fanatec might have done it before shipping to assure the unit was working.

hope you guys get a similar experience.

• I'm back also racing.. Finally.. Tested new base with PS5, 5 and 8nm power, gran turismo wheel and F1 2021SE wheel. All working. During the weekend i hope i have to set it up with PC and run some ACC races and other simulators. RMA took one month for me.

• I contact customer service on December 27, sent my base next day and receive new one on January 10.

Chris from customer service was very fast at response and helpful, I also receive tracking number when they sent my new base back.

New base is working great