Wheel base causing usb devices to disconnect

Hi all,

a few months ago i received my CSL DD. Been really happy with it so far apart from one major issue - every now and again it causes all my usb devices to cut out at once. I will be racing and all of a sudden my pedals stop working, the sound cuts out and the wheel freezes. I have to restart the computer to get it working again.

this issue has only started since i started using the CSL DD. Could this be an issue with my USB ports? Or a power issue?

any help would be appreciated,

ciaran

Comments

• I had an issue like this not long after I got my CSL DD back in August. Steering and pedal inputs would suddenly cut out, and I'd invariably crash into the nearest wall. M+K would become non-responsive so I couldn't Alt+Tab, Alt+F4, nothing. Only a hard reboot would fix it.

I was able to narrow it down to what I then presumed to be the cause because I noticed that when my base was in CMP mode, there were one or two USB ports which weren't recognizing the base (but they did recognize it in PC mode). So, going forward, I made sure to avoid plugging anything into those particular ports. I also made sure to turn off the setting which will cause your USB ports/ devices to go to sleep after a set amount of time if no inputs are being received. I also unplugged any other unnecessary USB devices like headphones, controllers, etc.

For about 2 months or so, that seemed to have worked. Then, while playing F1 2021 last night, it happened again. Before it happened, I noticed that while I was hotlapping in TT, the steering gradually started to feel more damped, and more grainy than usual. I thought maybe it was just because it was a new track that I wasn't used to, so I adjusted some of the FFB settings through the wheel menu. I ran maybe 2 or 3 laps after that, and that's when the wheel froze again (for the 1st time in ~2 months) along with all of my USB devices.

So...bottom line? I'm not sure what the heck causes it. Maybe it has something to do with adjusting FFB settings through the wheel while in-game? That's something I don't normally do (I have all my FFB settings pretty well set and haven't touched them in a while... when I do need to adjust them, I usually do it in Fanalab and not through the wheel interface). It's definitely not game-specific, as I've had it happen in AC, ACC, DR 2.0, and now F1 2021. I don't think it's specific to a particular driver package or Fanalab version, as I believe I was on 415 and 1.57 when I first experienced the issue, and I'm now on 429 and 1.60.

I had suspected back in the beginning that maybe it had something to do with my computer being under heavy load (heat issue perhaps?) The base itself never feels warm, but I have noticed that when playing F1 2021, my computer's fans sound like they're pretty much constantly running. I have tools to check CPU/GPU heat, but I can't seem to bring them up while playing F1 for some reason. I think I may try to go in and see if I can lower some settings and see if that helps. I recall the last time it happened a couple of months ago, I was playing DR 2.0 and I wound up dialing down the settings. But I also did the other mitigation measures I mentioned around the same time, so I was never able to pin down what exactly was the key.

Anyway, bit of a ramble, hopefully that'll at least give you a few options for things you can think about and try. Good luck!