CMP vs PC mode - CSL DD

From everything I've seen, I've been led to believe that functionally, the two are identical. No loss of FFB fidelity or anything like that when switching between modes.

When the CSL DD was first released, for compatibility purposes, games needed it to be run in CMP mode (which again, from what I'm led to believe, ONLY changes the wheelbase's USB ID to make the game see it as a CSW 2.5).

So if everything was working fine in CMP mode, what exactly is the point of PC mode? I mean, surely there must be some sort of performance or functionality benefit, right? Otherwise why even make it "a thing"?

What am I not getting here? 🤔

Comments

• There is no difference other than a different USB ID to make it compatible with old games which are either EOL or didnt got updated to natively support the new base yet.

That's it.

• Ok, I get that. I guess I just don't understand the purpose of PC mode then. If CMP mode gives the advantage of compatibility with older games, and still works fine with new games, why do we need PC mode?

• To get the base work with their real Name.

It's odd that you have to select a ClubSport Wheel Base v2.5 in games, just looks better to select the correct Name.

• Hmm. Yeah, I guess that makes sense for new games that you buy which already support the wheelbase at the time of purchase. But there's really no need, for games that you've already set up to work with CMP mode, to then go and switch to PC mode and reassign mappings to a new control profile once the game devs have updated the title to have native support for the wheelbase, right?

And as far as FFB and recommended settings...there's no reason anything would change there, once devs implement native support for PC mode, right? Sorry if these are obvious questions, I just want to make sure I understand what's going on.