Fanatec CSL DD and "expensive" boost kit

However, I often see people criticizing Fanatec for offering boost kit for CSL DD at a whopping $150. And claims that Fanatec is milking their user base for profit.

Well, I think it is the other way around.

I used to have their CSW 2.5, a belt driven base with 8Nm that costed me $583 excluding shipping. CSL DD with boost kit costs $80 less, being a newer and better technology base.

I really think they offer CSL DD with boost kit at great and even discounted price compared to their old offering and they discount it even more to offer a 5Nm starter pack - a very smart move to get more people on the ecosystem.

tldr - CSL DD 5Nm costs exactly like CSL Elite 5Nm. CSL DD 8Nm costs $80 less than CSW 2.5 8Nm. And at both options it offers much better performance and value.

If I am mistaken in my conclusions, feel free to change my mind.

Unrelated, but having owned CSL Elite, CSW 2.5, DD2, SC2Pro, I do consider CSW 2.5 a great base, super smooth, delivering DD-like FFB quality and fidelity. And if any of you waiting for CSL DD can get a good deal on CSW - go for it, as logistic issues are not gonna improve any time soon.

Comments

• When you compare it to the previous hardware it replaces, you are absolutely right. It is cheaper with new tech. Yet by making the boost kit a separate item with a pricetag, you open yourself to critic if DIY options are less than a third of the price. If they would have offered the CSL DD with just the boost kit PSU instead of the 5NM PSU, no one would have batted an eye and the base price could have been even lower because of the absence of the 5NM PSU.

The 5NM base option, did we really need it? The Elite (+) was 6NM not 5NM, so the 5NM DD is in terms of torque a step back. Considering this, I personally think they should have skipped the whole 5NM base version and just should have released the CSL DD with 8NM PSU. Yes, the base version would probably be a bit higher priced than the Elite it replaced, but it offers higher torque, less moving parts and newer tech in general.

Would I be making a DIY PSU for the CSL DD or GT DD Pro instead of buying the boostkit? No. I do not like to tinker with power and risk my wheelbase's warranty. Did Fanatec leave something on the table to criticize? Yes. But I am not going to say the are milking the customers, because that conclusion is way too easy. It could be they did a bad deal wholesale buying these PSU's or these PSU's do offer something for that higher price. I don't know.

• Hello

I hv a question regarding CSL DD 8nm compatibility. I searched on forum and i did not find the answer.

It is only compatible with PC/XBOX? not for PS?

Best regards

David

• Correct. The CSL DD is not PlayStation compatible.

And Xbox compatibility is dependent on the steering wheel/hub you use. If you don't need console compatibility, then there is probably a version of the wheel without the compatibility charge.

• William OtisWilliam Otis Member
    edited March 2022

From my understanding, the CSL DD was intended to be an 8Nm wheelbase. Fanatec paired the wheelbase with a power supply that has 1/2 the wattage of the BK180, and then ate the costs while offering it as a 5Nm option. Maybe they should have priced the 5Nm version at $425?

• David HayatDavid Hayat Member
    edited March 2022

So means that CSL DD is not compatible with PS, and I need to buy GT DD PRO with 8nm option ?

Weard....😅