CSL DD (8nm) scratchy / light rough feedback for first few minutes when powered on

Hi all, curious is anyone with the CSL DD (8nm) notices a scratchy / light rough feedback for the first few minutes or so after turning it on?

I tend to leave mine plugged in most days but I'm noticing it after I do have it off until its "warmed up".

After reading about others with this issue but it not going away I'm hoping it's not a prelude to that bigger issue and needing to return it. I'm keeping a close eye on it for now and hopeful it doesn't get worse.

Also is there anyway to get the CSL DD serial via software, I'm going to log a case with Fanatec but would prefer not unmounting it to get the serial if there is a easy way to grab it through software.

Thanks!

Comments

• Serial number is on your my products page in your Fanatec account.

• Hey David, I bought mine from the webshop and that was the first place I checked, it has the order number but requires me to enter the serial.

• Grabbed the SN from the box the wheel was shipped in, lodging ticket with Fanatec now to see what they come back with.

• The Serial number is print on the box of your Gran Turismo DD Pro

i have rhe same issue with the Grand Turismo DD Pro line you and last week i send it back to fanatec tonget a new DD Pro

• edited March 2022

There are more comments about this issue here. For me the problem disappeared after the first month, maybe due to running in the wheel base, or by driver updates, I'm not sure which.

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/23688/csl-dd-feels-scratchy

• Yup, I have this problem as well. Scratchy/buzzy/vibration feeling in my 5nm Gran Turismo add Pro. It is very dominant when I first power the unit on then subsides over time but is always in the background which is felt as an additional feedback effect which shouldn’t be there. Kind of ruining the general experience of this wheel.My Dd is about 1 week old now. Seems to be a known issue as I see on these forums.This effect happens whether plugged into USB or not and yes drivers are updated etc. claim lodged with Fanatec. Let’s see what happens.

• Update: support has not returned to me yet,well they did say 7 days so I wait patiently. I would say after a few more days experiencing this feeling in the wheel it is more like a feeling of water flowing through the wheel, accompanied by a whooshing sound when you listen close to the wheel. So if you could „see“ the sound the wavelength would be quite extreme highs and lows so in that feeling it is sometimes rougher and sometimes smoother but constant up and down and not a smooth buzzing,scratching or vibration.

My assumption is that this behavior occurs in all direct drive bases but the original design idea is that this sound and feeling does not filter into the base and wheel so aggressively.Where it unintentionally interferes with the other feedback feel of the wheel. Seems that no one knows whether this is a software or hardware issue either and also some people have this feeling all the time, some after the unit has warmed up, some never had it in the first weeks of ownership and even for some the problem has gone away by itself.

I would suggest that fanatec take these defective wheelbases where this issue manifests and Single the issue out in those bases versus the silent ones. Then eliminate the issue in design and manufacturing. The wave of people wanting to get their hands on an affordable direct drive will continue to grow and as long as The competition doesnt have a product in the market yet, they have to make sure that every fanatec base that is in the hands of the customers stays in the hands of those customers so that they don’t go looking for alternatives once the competition brings their direct drive wheel on the market. The convenience of the competitors sales and after sales support cannot be understated, buy on Amazon, 30 day instant return policy, next day delivery plus anywhere in the world. Since fanatec doesn’t have these „normal“ consumer comforts they should make sure. But who knows, maybe it’s true and on these forums just 1% of us or or less have these problems.

• Fanatec asked I return the unit for repair, I've posted it in and now waiting on an update, will let you know the outcome.

• i just received a response from support they sent me two motor firmwares to test to see if it resolves the issue or makes any difference in the behavior at the same time they Said they will send a return label so as not to delay the process. I will let you know how this develops.

• the Motor Firmware didn’t help to remove the vibrations.

„I think“ there is a change in the wavelength of the buzzing/sound/vibrations with the new firmware though and it seems to be more constant now, rather than a feeling of up and down wavelengths as I experienced before but the buzzing still „dirties“ the experience of the wheel because you are feeling things you shouldn’t. So not happy with that.

yesterday they told me they will send a return label. I’m still waiting.

we need to monitor these posts carefully because I saw that quite a few people after getting new units ended up having exactly the same problem with the new units. I think I read one post where the person said the new unit had none of these buzzing issues.

• Can I ask you guys if you could check which motor firmware you have? I did some more tests today and with motor firmware 1.0.2.2 and 1.0.1.3 the buzzing and vibrations are definitely more aggressive in these versions and feels like sandpaper when I move the wheel. They sent me two versions of 1.0.2.3 firmwares market 18KHZ and 20KHZ to test which reduced the vibrations dramatically but I still don't know if I am happy with the current state.

• Assuming that Fanatec is monitoring these forums here is a note to them, which I have also sent today to technical support as I dropped my wheelbase with DHL

TO FANATEC:

Kindly send the below feedback to your designers/product developers as I have seen the problem now many times in the Fanatec forums which manifests differently for others. The problem does not seem to be solved by repair or is difficult for you to test so I think you should immediately exchange units with this problem, then carry out further internal tests to see how this problem can be eliminated in manufacturing in the future. Defective products are your responsibility to solve and the customer should not have to suffer any longer than they have to by delays in your testing, exchange and repair procedures. 

I would suggest to avoid delays to issue the replacement ASAP as I have now tested the base extensively myself with various motor firmwares. Seems that test firmwares 1.0.2.3 18KHZ and 20KHZ help a little but do not eliminate the problem completely so here is what I can report:

1. Firmware 1.0.1.3 Agressive vibrations with sandpaper feel when moving the wheel also without force and not connected to PS5 or PC seems to gradually get rougher over time and then subsides to lighter vibration after 10-15 minutes a high pitched whining/whooshing sound can be heard through the wheel and the wheel base

2. Firmware 1.0.2.2 Same as above

3. Test firmware 18KHz 1.0.2.3 Buzzy feeling starts immediately and gets a little worse but nowhere near as bad as the above two firmwares feeling stays at the same level more or less and comes and goes when moving the wheel or when it is not in use If I move the wheel from left to right lock against force the vibrations are more pronounced. The whining sound is barely audible with this firmware. 

4. Test firmware 1.0.2.3 20KHZ more or less same as above I think might be slightly worse than 18KHz

• have just received a replacement dd pro wheelbase today and guess what the graininess is worse than my previous wheel…..just horrible. I installed the special Motor firmware 1.0.2.3 they sent me for testing on my previous wheel when I opened the ticket and this seemed to calm the grainy feeling on the new wheel. I will do some more testing tonight but if they had tested this wheel properly or if QC was actually doing QC no way should I receive two brand new Problem units one after the other. I will update as I learn more.

• What happened with your 3rd wheel base? Did u ever get a working unit? Thanks