Gran Tourismo DD Pro Wheel Burned Out After 3 Hours of Use

I received my GT DD Pro wheel a little over a week ago. I set it up and was excited to use it. It was a great experience playing GT7 with it, but after only 3 hours of use the wheel started to smoke and disconnected from the PS5. Now it wont power on. I purchased the additional booster kit with the wheel and was using it while playing.

Now im sitting here with a $1,200 paperweight and Fanatec support is not responding. Unless i get resolution on this immediately I will be raising a dispute with Amex on this purchase. The support from Fanatec has been terrible so far.

Comments

• i also having issues with support. im so disappointed afetr saving for so long to get a fanatec wheel and base. support been very poor so far. actually not even heard from them

• That makes me not want to use the booster pack......if I ever get my pedals fixed. Support has not been good. I also have a big paperweight in the living room.

• RJ DRJ D Member

Well that’s $400 per hour of use, which I think is totally fair.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Muhammad,

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the support team will resolve it for you.

Hi Troy,

This is very much a rare incident, and not something that is more likely to happen as a result of using the Boost Kit. The base is tested and proven to be operated at max output for extended sessions. If you recall the Podium DD 'battle' video we posted, we performed similar stress tests with the CSL DD / GT DD Pro bases too.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Dominic,

Where would I find that video? Looking on YT and not seeing the one you're referencing.

Thanks,

Troy

• Muhammad ShahMuhammad Shah Member
    edited April 2022

Its been almost 2 weeks and all I got from support is that someone will reach out to me. What kind of customer service is this? How do I get a hold of a live person? This is some of the worst customer service and buying experiences I've had with a company.

• The first few emails I got a response in about 3-4 business days. The last email I got was 6 business days. I doubt they work weekends, so it seems to be getting worse

• How about addressing my comment instead of posting useless videos.

• Hey Muhammad,

I have had the same issue with you. On my second use of my new DD pro without boost kit, it suddenly started burning inside and generated smoke and smell out of the base. I have had to stop using it and afraid something worse might happen if it kept on. It is so frustrated since its my birthday gift. By the way, have you ever heard back from Fanatec support team yet?

• I hope you got your issue resolved.

After saving and waiting my DD just went up in smoke after about 3 hours as well, completely bricked. Reading this thread does not put alot of confidence that my issue will be resolved very quickly.

No live chat or phone # in the US seems like a really annoying way for fanatec to save a buck when the products cost 4 figures. I even woke up at 6am hoping to live chat in EU to get the RMA proccess going but with no luck.

• No resolution. No communication. They asked for a video of the issue and pics. I sent it to them 2 weeks ago, and support has the nerve to tell me they cant troubleshoot unless i send them more details, and that i should attach a video and some pics weeks later. I am giving up on this product at this point. Im having my credit card company charge them back and moving on with my life.

• Wow thats incredible. If yours failed like mine did with smoke and a burning smell filling my whole downstairs I feel like that should be the end of discussion. There is nothing to troubleshoot.

I will be keeping your response in mind and If my issue cant be resolved before their 14 day return policy is up I will be taking the same chargeback route. Really sad.

• edited April 2022

Mine has the same problem. Mine smoked up after a few hours and stopped working I'm really annoyed with this. I hope fanatec takes the time to just swap out the thing No questions asked. I don't want to wait any longer

• Good chance all of our wheels came from the same stock considering the time frame which would explain alot. Bad batch? im sure their already poor customer service has gotta be crazy right now then.

Their live chat does work, but only very very late at night in the US. They only confirmed they got my request and a tech will email me back soon.

• Wow, that sucks. How come they could troubleshoot a problem hardwire-wise internally just by seeing pics & vids.

• I agree. There is no way a simple troubleshooting could help out the electronically damages that burning creates. Mine is over 14 days return policy now, so I am sitting with bricked-down wheels while waiting reply from Fanatec support team.

• Swapping out seems a reasonable solution but I doubt how long that will take.

• It seems we all got the same batch with poor QC internally. I bought mine back to March 21st as soon as I saw DD pro stock status is available. I believe they are short of hands now since they really posted hiring ads on Insta. It has been 4 business days now since I submitted my ticket but still no response from support team yet.

• Hey just to share my experience too, i had the same problem 5 days ago and contacted fanatec support with no answer yet. I used it for about a week 1-2 hours per day and on thursday it started smoking, i disconnected it and waited to the next morning. Then i connected it again and it did not turn on. I used the 5nm power supply.

• edited April 2022

Hi, bro,

I'm living HK and purchased the DDpro from Japan website. Yesterday well received it and tried playing with PS4 for GT7 today. Just played for an hour then discovering that the white smoke emitted from the casing with plastic burning smell and great heat on back. However, later night time I connected it with PC, it comes white smoke again and went into brick forever. 😫

P.S. the wheel base upper part of back panel is quite hot when toucing. I already reported and sought for custom service and help.

Kelvin

• "Fanatec-n-Stein" is starting to scare me.

They don't seem to have a presence (or care) here in the States. And shipping RMA hardware to... Germany ?!

I wanted to bail out from Logitech but the stories up in here are creeping me out.

Logitech Support has always sucked...at least they HAVE customer support.

• Peace to the Simmers.
  • Hi i have the same problem. I ordered a fanatec csl dd, the order was delivered to me on monday, on wednesday the base died. As you wrote above, there was a stench for no reason, followed by white smoke and a lot of heat on the back of the wheelbase, then death. Fanatec is not responding ....

• hi, bro

As I just reported the same problem of white smoke emitted & bricked on 26 Apr 2022, now I've got the new one on hand and working fine for two days so far. Fanatec have replied my RMA at 10th days providing me the RMA reference no, for returning defective base to them at Tokyo customer offce . Then I fast post from Hong Kong on FRI noon and they confirmed receiving on next TUE am. However, their response is satisfied to me as they release the new one the next two day as my transferring agent at Osaka notifed me that they have received the good addressing to me on the following FRI. And they also allow me to claim for the oversea transportation fee from HK to Tokyo in the following up email.

Just share my case to you all.

Br

K.

• Same exact problem here. Got maybe an hour of use before smell of smoke and wheel became unresponsive. Have filed a ticket, but I this is extremely disappointing, especially now that I'm learning I'll have to wait weeks for some action.

• I posted this in a few places when it happened because I was pissed, but I'm following up in fairness because I think Fanatec did a pretty good job of fixing this for me. I had a replacement in hand exactly 2 weeks after submitting the ticket. Timeline:

June 9 - submitted support ticket

June 13 - RMA number received (2 business days later)

June 14 - Received prepaid FedEx label

June 22 - Replacement shipped to me

June 23 - Replacement received

• It happened to me too. After one hour of first use (Fanatec recommended GT7 settings and boost kit), disconnected from PS5 and burned out with little smoke and burnt smell. Now, waiting for a reply from Fanatec. Total disappointment.

• Yes, same problem again.

Unfortunately, the Granturismo DD Pro, which I bought after waiting for a long time, burned down before I could use it.

First I did the updates and connected it to Playstation 5. It turned off automatically after the first 5 minutes of use. After checking the connections, I turned it on again, this time it shut down within 5 minutes and smoke started to come out with the smell of burning plastic.

Technical support responded quickly with some questions to describe the situation, but 3 days have passed since I replied to the e-mail, but there is no response yet.

I'm really sorry because I've been waiting for a long time, I hope the product replacement is completed quickly.

I will update the status here.

• Hi, how did the process go? Can you share what is the situation?

• On October 11, I received a shipping e-mail to send the DD Pro to Fanatec. I sent the DD Pro the next day.