Fanatec Driver 450 (Prev. Official Release) for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• Now that I've updated the base and motor, it shows the WQR as up to date on the firmware.

A friend suggested I do some tests with Fanalab ITM, and that produced some interesting results. When driving in a sim, I can see the FFB data coming to the wheelbase. I see it fluctuating around 5-10% while driving, and see it go up to around 25% when I crash into a wall. However, when I look at the motor data, it always shows 0 Nm, sometimes flickering up to 1 Nm, and immediately dropping back to 0 Nm.

It seems like the torque is disabled somehow? I don't have an e-stop connected - that should mean torque is enabled by default, right? If I short-press the power button, I get the message about torque being turned off, then I can short-press the button again and that message goes away. But I still don't get any actual torque from the base / motor.

• Thanks for the quick response. Does anyone have the particulars as to why Playstation has no issue with this stuff but Xbox does? Your company pays the additional burden of an encoder chip so they handle security and peripheral exclusivity. The Xbox is merely a PC in its fundamental form, and capable of releasing telemetry and operating stuff like the lights. The only explanation I have read on the past is their security only allows for a perpheral to map to the buttons avail on a controller and no more. Surely this kind of constraint, if articulated to Xbox leadership, puts their console at a competitive disadvantage to the PlayStation while costing its vendors more to buy the encoder chip and put it into a immersive steering wheel whose capabilities are cut off at the knees. Then they market Forza like titles as exclusive game against Gran Turismo. Bad business, inferior game experience while making fanatec and Codemasters /EA look like they don’t know have to make a driving game work with their premiere podium base/rims.

• edited January 2023

As I said already twice and now a third and last time: your base is broken. Contact the support.

• Because Microsoft changed their SDK/GDK and did some error and so now they need to fix this. Until then the implemented workaround by Fanatec is the best interim solution.

• Thanks, didn't mean to be a bother. I opened a support ticket last night, waiting for them to respond. I'll stop bugging you, thanks a lot for helping me out here.

• Check your private messages I've sent you some info that might help

• Fabulous support from Alexander via the support ticket....

Disconnected the QR hub, and reconnected it.. and we have solved the fault...

• My Podium DD1 P stopped working completely after the upgrade to 447. The help provided by Fanatec ("go back to the previous version and upgrade the motor firmware first") is of no help as

1) the base does not get recognized by a PC anymore

2) there is no way for a user to obtain an old version of a firmware.

PLEASE HELP BEFORE YOU RELEASE ANOTHER BROKEN FIRMWARE AND EVEN MORE TURN THER WHEELS INTO SOMETHING UNSUSABLE:

• Wheel Base Model: Podium DD1 PS
    • Steering Wheel Model: F1
    • Driver Version: ..
    • Base FW Version: 3.0.0
    • Motor FW Version: 30.0.0

• edited January 2023

The problem is that you somehow flashed the Base Firmware first instead of the motor firmware and now the motor firmware and base firmware are incompatible with each other.

How to recover from this:

1. uninstall your current driver
    2. install driver 336 (Link: https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/778/fanatec-beta-driver-v336-for-csl-csw-and-podium-bases-all-wheels/p1)
    3. start the base by holding down the power button for 10seconds, this will force a firmware update
    4. after that the base should be working normally, but is on older firmware
    5. install driver 447
    6. flash firmware through the automatic process, NOT via manual update!

Regarding your 1): It is not needed that the PC recognizes your base when doing the above procedure.

And regarding your 2): I have linked you to the driver which you need which actually IS possible for the user to obtain.

I HOPE THIS IS HELP ENOUGH TO GET YOU OUT OF THIS.

• weemartenweemarten Member
    edited January 2023

Hi,

For a long time, I have had a weird issue with Fanatec drivers after installing major windows updates. I have always solved this problem by reinstalling the driver, but it happened again on driver 448 after installing Windows 11 22H2 update last night. Note that this is not specific to driver version 448 (or to my DD2 base) as this has been happening since the early days of Windows 10 when I had a CSW v2 base.

The issue is that after installing a major windows update and powering on the wheel, the wheel feels like a centering spring is enabled (no other FFB) when turning it more than 90 degrees, and the driver software displays this error (it used to crash, so this is a big improvement). After doing the repair (or reinstalling on older versions) everything works fine. This isn't a major drama for me, but does anyone have any idea why this happens?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but I'm not 100% sure what the right thread should be.

• edited January 2023

Exactly for this driver 448 has the now pop-up implemented which is shown in your Screenshot.

Click ok so the driver runs the repair function and everything will work properly again.

This is a Windows thing since forever where some USB devices get screwed after a Major Windows Update. There is nothing which can be done against this other than the new pop-up of driver 448 to run the repair automatically when the driver detects that the base cant be recognized. Does affect a lot of USB devices and is not related to Fanatec only.

Therefore as a rule of thumb : always run the driver repair or even completely re-install the driver after a Major Windows Update.

• Ok thanks Maurice, just wanted to check if this was just an issue affecting me or more common.

• Hi,

der Funkyswitch überspringt in Assetto Corsa jetzt im Pitmenü immer einen Menüpunkt. Also ich drück einmal nach unten und im Pitmenü springt er immer gleich zwei Menüpunkte weiter. Gleiches wenn man nach oben drückt. Links/Rechts bin ich mir jetzt im Moment nicht sicher. Das Problem besteht nicht im Podium Wheel Settings Menü da funktioniert alles einwandfrei.

• Hello, successfully upgraded to 448 drivers, but now the wheel is only found by the system in PC MODE, if i switch to compatibility mode the wheel is not detected...

• ...got the same issue, I updated my to 448 and updated my firmwares after and after that I got the same issues Fanatec CP freezing and the base is recognized only on one of my USB ports on my pc, all others the base/wheel didnt recognize :( with 447 I dont have these probs, I will try 447 now.

• Since its not tagged in the known issues, i assume only me and the other user that got the exact same problem have issues with 448 and a Fanatec shifter connected to the base ?

• Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

I think this are the only cases so far but I would like to learn more about it and hopefully find a way how to reproduce it so we can look into a fix.

The P DD came with a RJ12 cable which has ferrite cores, originally meant for use with the pedals, could you try to use this cable with the shifter and see if it solves the issue?

Please export log files with the button on the settings page and upload them here

Please export log files with the button on the settings page and upload them here

If your fan is running at 100% and the motor FW is not updatable, then this is a sign for the motor not communicating with the rest of the base.

If the wheel is connected and working well then the motor will output FFB as long as the torque was not disabled by the power button and the FFB strength settings are not 0/OFF.

So if you still have issues even though

• Wheel is connected and working
    • FFB is not set to 0/OFF
    • FFB is not disabled via power button
    • Firmware is not in a weird uncompatible state

then the communication between motor and base firmware is not working and support needs to investigate the base

Have you already tried the trouble shooting steps shown like running the repair function with the button in the bottom left while having the base in compatibility mode?

I can understand German, but most others not, so please use English in the future 😉

Which wheel?

Only on one specific wheel or with all wheels in case you have multiple ones?

Which base?

Does the driver UI show a double input as well?

Does the issue also happen in other games or when navigating game menus with the FunkySwitch?

Did the instructions Maurice gave help to solve the issue or is there still an issue I could try to help you with?

• Lino CarreiraLino Carreira Member
    edited January 2023

Ok, need to find out where on earth i have the Podium DD box...been a while, was one of the initial batch :) ... and i just asked since I like to have stuff always updated to last driver since you guys are always adding improvements, to my luck after a huge wait for something to pop up on the horizon shifters wise i gave up and pulled the trigger on the Fanatec shifter the week before the driver... otherwise i wouldnt even notice any problem with the driver. Thanks.

• Hello!!. I also have the problem in which the gear does not go up sporadically. In my case I only noticed it when going up. As some fans comment too. Regards!! It already happens to me since v447

DD1 ps4

V3

Porsche gt3 r

V448

• Same thing is happening to me since I went to the USB adaptor. I no longer have a Fanatec Base to connect it to, so had to use USB adaptor. Have tried in a powered hub as well as direct to PC. Also tried a couple of USB ports. Same result wherever I put it.

• Hi, I have the following issue with rFactor 2 ( not happening with any other sim ):

Force feedback works fine for some time. Then from nowhere it becomes super grainy. Usually at session change or after returning to garage and going back out. Its random and not at defined time frames. Closing game and restarting gets force feedback back as normal. But then in happens again some time later.

• Wheel Base Model (product ID): DD1
    • Steering Wheel Model (product ID): CubeControls CSX3 and Fanatec Podium Hub
    • Driver Version: 448 beta
    • Base FW Version: 3.0.1.3
    • Motor FW Version: 3.0.0.2
    • Wheel FW Version: CSX 3 ( latest CubeControls FW ), Podium Hub ( 6 ).
    • FanaLab Version: 1.69
    • Tuning Menu settings: Default rFactor 2 for DD1 on Fanalab.
    • Driver/FanaLab installed on C: Yes C ( 2TB SSD )

• edited January 2023

That's a known game issue since basically forever where the game triggers the DPR channel for no reason and spams it the more often you go to the menu.

Workaround until the game Developers fix this issue is to set DPR to OFF and also to change these lines in the JSON file of the saved profile:

(located in the ...Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller)

"Steering resistance coefficient":0

"Steering resistance saturation":0

Make sure to re-load the profile in game after you made any adjustments to the JSON file.

Afterwards the grainy feeling is gone.

• Does anyone have more information about the miss shift problem? It seems that there are several of us who have the problem, and I would like to know if the problem is known at fanatec? 

This discussion has been closed.