Finding the right force feedback settings on PS4

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
edited October 2017 in Blog
The CSL Elite Racing Wheel is the most compatible racing wheel out there. It works with all PS4 and PC games as well as all Xbox One games if you connect a Xbox One steering wheel to it.

Finding the right setting is easy but you need to know how to do it. Therefore I will give you some guidance how to tune your force feedback settings.

First of all you need to get the latest firmware. Please make sure that the wheel is in PC mode (red) if you open the game controller options to do the firmware update. It also works on an Apple PC if you install Windows on it.

Some games (e.g. Assetto Corsa, WRC 7) also require that you first configure the game with the Dualshock controller and choose a wheel in the controller options menu.

Selecting the right mode for PS4 is important. You need to do that before starting the game.
For most games you can use the blue mode. This list will tell you what games require the compatibility mode (purple).
For Dirt Rally, F1 2015 and Project Cars 1 I recommend to use the yellow mode. You need to press and hold the mode button for 10 seconds to go to yellow compatibility mode.

Please note that Project Cars 2 currently has a major bug in the support of our wheel so we recommend to use the purple mode until this is fixed. They are fully working on it.

Every new game will use the blue mode so it will get easier.

In game settings:
The most important is to avoid force feedback clipping. This means the game sends out signals which are to high for the motor to reproduce. You will lose fine signals from the road. If the ff is very active on straights but in corners you only feel the full power but no more details then you probably have clipping. Lower the ff strength in the game (not the wheel) to avoid clipping.

I also suggest to add some small dead zone on the pedal axis which will avoid that you accidentally press a pedal if your foot rests on it.

Tuning parameters on the wheel:

FEI Force Effects Intensity
Always start at 100% and if the effects are too sharp or there is a strong and noisy rattle which you do not like then turn it down to a lower value.

FF Force Feedback
Some games like GTS do not have the option to adjust overall force feedback strength. Therefore you can reduce the strength in wheel. Otherwise I would always suggest to keep this value at 100 and adjust the ff strength in game.

SPR Spring
Very few games use spring effects instead of force effects. This value controls the signal coming from the game. Keep it at 100 unless you notice dull force feedback because there is a permanent spring over all other force effects.

DPR Damper
This option controls only the damper effect signals coming from the game. It really makes sense to keep it at 100 unless an effect really annoys you. Usually a damper makes sense for example when the car is standing and you try to turn the wheel.

DRI Drift
The default is -5 but all values from -5 to 0 will add a damper over all other effects. A natural damper will avoid shaking on straights and also make the car feel more realistic but you might want to choose a higher value if you prefer a faster response from the wheel. Values above 0 will  use motor power to artificially accelerate the steering wheel. Please note that this can cause the wheel to shake heavily if you release it. Those higher values are recommended for heavy steering wheels or for drifting in games.

And if you think that you screwed up all settings then simply make a reset by pressing the Tuning menu button for 10 seconds until you see "rst" on the display.

Please let me know if you want to know more or still need help.

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Hi Thomas, 

We appreciate this"tutorial" some of us are just going mad for the problems from my point of view have total confidence all the problems will be solve in some point because I know most of them are just present in the console version of the games, since most of the youtubers just talk good think about our wheel and uses as a "daily driver" so my only complain is you and your partner in FANATEC lets us make a lot of noise after you make a proper explanation of what is really happens, I know you are a very busy guy  and honestly prefer you to stay concentrated in the development of new innovative sim products for us, so please hire someone to keep us just calm doing comments like this one, really appreciate the way you interact with us taking care personally of ours complains and problem (like no other of the products makers do). I'm a fan of yours products because yours are made for Sim fans for mortals like the mayority here that wants a premium product with affordable prices even if we have to wait a long time to pay for it. So keep pushing hard in those new CSL Steering Wheels and make your partners game developers solve all this "issues" his games have for the console version.

Regards, and have a good race!!!!! 

By the way whats your favorite F1 Team?
  • Just when I thought I had the optimal settings tuned in Thomas comes with a new tutorial J

Thanks tho for reconfirming my/our thrust in your products and aftercare.. 

• edited October 2017
    Thank you for the update, the reassuring attitude and the tips ;)

It's been two weeks I've added my CSL Elite (+ accessories) to my shopping cart and I will use this wheel on PS4 AND on PC. When I've discovered that GT Sport didn't officially support the wheel at the launch I understand because the game is new, Polyphony Digital have a partnership with Thrustmaster and they are also a little slow. So if I have to wait one month or two it's ok for me.

But what I don't get is Project Cars 2 ! The CSL doesn't seem to work well neither on PS4 or on PC (no road / curb feedback...) ! The other fanatec products seems to work well on PC so how is this possible ? I mean the CSL Elite is not far from the ClubSport Wheels (2.0 or 2.5) ! Does the game send the same feedback infos for all the fanatec wheels but the CSL Elite can't interprete them ? Or the game developpers forgot to send feedback infos just for the CSL Elite (strange because the wheel is well detected in the menus) ?

I'm more positive about the wheel now I've read that :) 
    I think I just need a small answer or another positive attitude post from Thomas and I will order mys CSL :D

PS : I've also read that Assetto Corsa ffb was weak on the CSL Elite (still the best on the 3 games) but I don't know if it's on PS4 and / or PC ? There is an update in a couple of days... Do you know something about that Thomas ?

• Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    SMS changed something fundamental in the communication to our wheels and the intention was to improve ff. Unfortunately this went wrong. But we are in daily contact with them and they work hard on a solution. They love our wheels. AC has great ff on PS 4 and GT Sport works as good as with other wheels. Just the button mapping feels strange as you cannot see our CSL wheel in the options menu. It does work fine though.
  • Ate there any News about the support for GT Sport? It seems like Poly dont wont Fanatec Users to be happy. I cant belive this situation was a mistake and they have only forgotten to support the csl elite. Can anybody tell good news about our situation pls?
    edited October 2017
    GT Sports works well in compatibility mode so please go ahead and enjoy this game. No need to wait for anything. They are working on the implementation of advanced features which are not needed to play the game but will add to the experience. Kazunori Yamauchi himself assured me that this implementation will happen within this year.
  • I dont mean the simulated logitech modus - i want to know when this wheel will fully suported
  • Hi Thomas can u confirm that gt sport will be supported in blue mode. or will it be purple mode with advanced features. 

Hi Thomas can u confirm that gt sport will be supported in blue mode. or will it be purple mode with advanced features. 

Of course it will work with the blue mode in future. This is an official PS4 wheel and it will work as good or better than any other wheel on GTS.
  • Thank you Thomas for the update. Seeing your support of your products is what convinced me to go with you guys over Thrustmaster and so far I am still impressed. Thank you for getting the wheel to work good enough for now with GTS and it is good to hear we have an expected time frame of 1-2 months for full support. I assume this would include the vibrating gas pedal as that is a great feature I seriously underestimated. To me, it gives almost as important feedback as wheel FFB and adds so much to PC2, despite the current errors in support. Thank you Thomas!
  • edited October 2017
    Ups..
  • Hi Thomas, MANY thanks for this tutorial here and your statements regarding SMS and PD! Cheers, Thorsten
  • Hi gyus! Is this some issue or what,when i start the csl elite ps4 i se the Firmware version 335 and next 18. Some times only 335 comes and then nothing,and drift option is only off and +5 and wheel feels like drift option on -5?? Is just some bug when wheel starting or some big problem?
  • many thanks thomas. Great info for someone who  never owned fanatec stuff.  i know have it set just right. I have owned  g25 g29 t500 t300. and can say the wheel is a lot better quicker and smoother than all of them. I also have the v3 pedals  best pedals i have ever had period. might order gearshifter v1.5 
  • Hi guys, thanks Thomas.

No doubt even with some initial issue about Fanatec.

Great products, great customers service.

I love your wheel base and pedals and i will very very happy when everything will be ok with PJC2 (brake pedal most of all).

GTS is already really good in compatibility mode.

Thanks for the FFb guide, now i've something to try to change to implement my driving simulation

• Hi Thomas

Question to V2 Wheel Base on Xbox on F1 2017

Can not use FFB of the "Effect on Track" if i go higher than 7 it Starts Rumbling hard in the Wheel
    i have no Chance to set it on 30 like Friends an many other i know got this Wheel..
    Try all new Drivers of the V2 and do a correct Calibration but nothing helps.

Ich habe mit Support mehrmals Kontakt aufgenommen und mitgeteilt mit diesem Wheel stimmt was nicht. Denn 4 Kollegen benutzen genau dasselbe und können das FFB  "Effekt auf der Strecke" bei 30 nutzen was eigentlich Ideal wäre aber bei mir leider nicht möglich ist. Mit O Effekte auf der Strecke ist es praktisch unbrauchbar. Mit diesem klopfen im Wheel und komische Vibrationen bei 30 unmöglich. PC2 lassen wir mal die Kritik da teils von SMS kommt. Zurzeit sind viel Racegames draussen und ich hab ein unberechenbares Paket  Dafür brauch ich kein teures Lenkrad..bin nur noch genervt hätte dies Base nie kaufen sollen am liebsten würde ich es verschenken da sein Wert ja über Nacht so oder so verloren hat durch die unangekündigte V2.5Wheelbase. Sorry das musst mal raus 

• edited October 2017
    Just placed my order today ! So impatient to finally try a Fanatec wheel ;)
  • I have the CSL Elite wheel and V3 pedals and they are of the highest quality. It's been a little frustrating trying to get them set up with PC2 but it's still been a good experience playing the game. It's really great to hear from the boss himself that they are working on a solution!! If people are reading this and wondering if they should buy these products, I would say to just do it. The wheel and pedals are already fantastic to use and will only get better in time. Thanks to Thomas for the continued support.
  • Hi Thomas

Question to V2 Wheel Base on Xbox on F1 2017

Can not use FFB of the "Effect on Track" if i go higher than 7 it Starts Rumbling hard in the Wheel
    i have no Chance to set it on 30 like Friends an many other i know got this Wheel..
    Try all new Drivers of the V2 and do a correct Calibration but nothing helps.

Ich habe mit Support mehrmals Kontakt aufgenommen und mitgeteilt mit diesem Wheel stimmt was nicht. Denn 4 Kollegen benutzen genau dasselbe und können das FFB  "Effekt auf der Strecke" bei 30 nutzen was eigentlich Ideal wäre aber bei mir leider nicht möglich ist. Mit O Effekte auf der Strecke ist es praktisch unbrauchbar. Mit diesem klopfen im Wheel und komische Vibrationen bei 30 unmöglich. PC2 lassen wir mal die Kritik da teils von SMS kommt. Zurzeit sind viel Racegames draussen und ich hab ein unberechenbares Paket  Dafür brauch ich kein teures Lenkrad..bin nur noch genervt hätte dies Base nie kaufen sollen am liebsten würde ich es verschenken da sein Wert ja über Nacht so oder so verloren hat durch die unangekündigte V2.5Wheelbase. Sorry das musst mal raus 

English only please. It’s in the forum rules. Thanks
  • Aiutoooo ! Volevo sapere se fanatec csr elite va bene su ps4 grazie
  • Hi Davide, in English only in this blog please.

I'm italian too and you can write to me in mp if you like it.

CSL Elite is official licensed for PS4 but you i've to choose the right one (not XBOX's one)

• edited October 2017
    Hi gyus! Is this some issue or what,when i start the csl elite ps4 i se the Firmware version 335 and next 18. Some times only 335 comes and then nothing,and drift option is only off and +5 and wheel feels like drift option on -5?? Is just some bug when wheel starting or some big problem?
    Did you place this same comment also in the fw335 feedback topic. If not, please do.
  • Bought the Wheel about 2 Weeks ago. Still cant play on PS4 because my Clubsport Pedals V2 arent working while connected via PS2-RJ12.
    They work fine via USB on PC or via PS2 on my old CSR Wheel. I opened a Support Ticket but there isnt any solution for over 10 Days now.
    I like the Wheel Base but im thinking of sending the Wheel back to be honest, because downgrading to the CSL Elite Pedals isnt an option.

• There's also an IN game problem with AC ffb. Curbs don't feel as good as they did before. I don't know exactly which update of AC created the issue. But to be honest. It feels much better in G29 mode as it does with PS4 mode. Armin has all info he needs, so hopefully you can pull some strings at the address of Kunos Simulazione, @Thomas Jackermeier to fix this problem ASAP. Could you also ask them to implement the CSL E like the have with G29, please.
  • Bought the Wheel about 2 Weeks ago. Still cant play on PS4 because my Clubsport Pedals V2 arent working while connected via PS2-RJ12.
    They work fine via USB on PC or via PS2 on my old CSR Wheel. I opened a Support Ticket but there isnt any solution for over 10 Days now.
    I like the Wheel Base but im thinking of sending the Wheel back to be honest, because downgrading to the CSL Elite Pedals isnt an option.

Verify your plugs are connected very tightly. You may need to tape them to keep the connection tight. Also verify both cables are in good working order. That could be a simple fix.
  • I'm having problems with the lcd display for the settings of the steering wheel, got some leds erased, one hour works, another not, is there any solution for this?
  • Today I had some problems with the new driver 293.
    I use the Wheel only on PC Win10 home 64bit

When i start the wheel everything is working fine, when i open up the property page, and i change something and press "ok" or "übernehmen" then the wheel suddenly disconnect ( its not shown on the property page anymore), the fan starts to run, but the wheel is "dead" , it don´t react anymore.(the red light from the mode also goes out)
    I have to pull the power plug , to start it again...
    sometimes it happens directly when i press "ok", sometimes it closes the property page normal , but when i open it again, the crash happens.

when i start the wheel and don´t open the property page, i could play a game and everything is working fine.

I have already the new "fall creators update" for Windows 10
    i don´t know if its something with the driver , the wheel or maybe Windows?

I already downloaded  the driver again, also i reflashed the firmware and installed the driver again, and changed the USB2 Port.

I mean normaly i don´t need to change anything in the property page, so i don´t know if the error was there from the beginning.
    If i don´t change anything in the property page,  i can use the wheel normaly, but it feels not good to know something is wrong...

• edited October 2017
    Hi Fernando, I had exactly the same issue with my rim. So I've sent it back to Fanatec and got a new one.
  • I'm having problems with the lcd display for the settings of the steering wheel, got some leds erased, one hour works, another not, is there any solution for this?
    Contact support, you'll be needing repair or new wheel.. Dunno how they'll solve it
  • Today I had some problems with the new driver 293.
    I use the Wheel only on PC Win10 home 64bit

When i start the wheel everything is working fine, when i open up the property page, and i change something and press "ok" or "übernehmen" then the wheel suddenly disconnect ( its not shown on the property page anymore), the fan starts to run, but the wheel is "dead" , it don´t react anymore.(the red light from the mode also goes out)
    I have to pull the power plug , to start it again...
    sometimes it happens directly when i press "ok", sometimes it closes the property page normal , but when i open it again, the crash happens.

when i start the wheel and don´t open the property page, i could play a game and everything is working fine.

I have already the new "fall creators update" for Windows 10
    i don´t know if its something with the driver , the wheel or maybe Windows?

I already downloaded  the driver again, also i reflashed the firmware and installed the driver again, and changed the USB2 Port.

I mean normaly i don´t need to change anything in the property page, so i don´t know if the error was there from the beginning.
    If i don´t change anything in the property page,  i can use the wheel normaly, but it feels not good to know something is wrong...

Try apply first before pressing okay. Might be that there's the iasue