PlayStation compatibility UPDATE 2

Comments

• It's well possible that new games will only support officially licensed wheels only.
  • edited July 2016
    It's well possible that new games will only support officially licensed wheels only.
    I hope that is Not the Case...That Would Mean Sony has done a turn about from what was originally stated that they would allow Game Devs to program wheel support into the Games if they Choose to...But in any event that would be a poor Choice on Sonys Part... It would Cost them to lose Customers... The only Reason i bought a PS4 was for Pcars and it would work with Fanatec wheels as is No add ons Needed... As it is PS4 Pcars, Dirt Rally, F1 2015 will Hold Me over until a Final solution is Reached... PS4 Hub or Stand alone Rim??? Hopefully a PS4 Stand alone Rim unit like the Porsche Rim. For Sony to Deny Fanatec wheels to work with future titles would Only Serve to Boost XB1 and Fanatec XB1 Hub/ CSL Rim sales!!!... Its Still Business and you Know $ony is Not trying to let M$ gain Ground in Console sales and support...Business wise it would just be a bad move on $onys part. Its just the Not Knowing part thats Fueling all the Rumors and Making people Crazy... Shrugggs. I will Not accept any PS4 updates until the Matter is Made Clear that it will Not Stop My wheel From working...LOL... Nope i wont do it. I guess i have to Brush the Dust off My XB1 Hub... LOL
  • I think the closed beta he is talking about if F1 2016. If $ony are locking out Fanatec in their next console then they will definitely be losing me as a customer and I am already starting to get funds ready and searching out parts for a triple screen, VR ready pc
    Why go triple screen if you're gonna buy a VR headset ? I simply don't care about all the rumors and speculations....I bet development of a PS rim had begun since this announcement was made. So we're gonna have at least one PS rim/hub in very near future. And like I said before, I think it's gonna be the PS hub, cause that's the fastest way to provide us, chip or whatever build in, PS button caps and the funky switch becomes the PS home button...like they did with X1 version. And if that's what it takes to keep racing on PS, I'll buy one too just like I did with that crappy X1 of mine.
  • I think the closed beta he is talking about if F1 2016. If $ony are locking out Fanatec in their next console then they will definitely be losing me as a customer and I am already starting to get funds ready and searching out parts for a triple screen, VR ready pc
    Why go triple screen if you're gonna buy a VR headset ? I simply don't care about all the rumors and speculations....I bet development of a PS rim had begun since this announcement was made. So we're gonna have at least one PS rim/hub in very near future. And like I said before, I think it's gonna be the PS hub, cause that's the fastest way to provide us, chip or whatever build in, PS button caps and the funky switch becomes the PS home button...like they did with X1 version. And if that's what it takes to keep racing on PS, I'll buy one too just like I did with that crappy X1 of mine.
    I will go triples purely for the resolution but getting a GTX 1080 for next gen VR HMD @ 4k and also will have no need for $ony controlling what wheel i can use .
  • I think it's funny people say Sony won't lock out existing Fanatec peripherals because they'll (Sony) lose customers when MS did this exact thing with the XboxOne. Sony has now adopted MSs business plan because they see it makes them more money. When this was announced and everyone was so excited I tried to point out this meant new gear would be necessary to purchase. People replied that it was fine to get 100% compatibility with all titles. Now people are complaining they'll have to buy new a rim. What didn't you understand from Thomas's post? He said this would happen. I don't think any more comments are necessary until they have a rim to announce. Just my .02
  • edited July 2016
    I think it's funny people say Sony won't lock out existing Fanatec peripherals because they'll (Sony) lose customers when MS did this exact thing with the XboxOne. Sony has now adopted MSs business plan because they see it makes them more money. When this was announced and everyone was so excited I tried to point out this meant new gear would be necessary to purchase. People replied that it was fine to get 100% compatibility with all titles. Now people are complaining they'll have to buy new a rim. What didn't you understand from Thomas's post? He said this would happen. I don't think any more comments are necessary until they have a rim to announce. Just my .02
    The difference is MS Blocked every wheel from Day 1.... Sony Stated that it was upto Game Developers to program in wheel support for their Games...if something has changed where Game Devs can No longer program in wheel support then Sony should Make a Official anouncement....i understand that its Not Native support... im ok with using the Controler to Navigate the dash board...in Game support is Good enough until a soulution is reached.
  • The situation is very different from the XB1. There, MS introduced a new platform with new hardware constraints. XB1 games were made with these constraints taken into account.

Now there is a PS4 for which there are already many games working with existing hardware. If Sony suddenly changes the hardware constraints/support for those existing games and the platform in general, at the very least all these existing games will have to be updated to remove support of existing hardware and only support licensed hardware. I don't think that that's going to happen.
    Or, the PS4 is being changed such that all these existing games are not playable at all anymore, since controller support is done in-game so a PS4 SDK change cannot overrule this internal support to make it licensed-controller support only. That is also something that will never happen.

Furthermore, the PS4 was sold from the beginning as supporting all hardware (as far as the developer supports it in the game). If Sony now changes this, it basically means the functionality of the system is changed/reduced compared to what was promised when selling it originally. That makes all of their customers eligible for compensation or a return/refund of their PS4. That's something I'm sure Sony won't want to get involved in.
    Hence, one way or the other, this new licensed wheel thing will only apply to new games. If not, then Sony's Playstation division will soon be extinct.
  • Well my PS4 is very likely to be sold now. I have no intention of buying a Sony branded Fanatec wheel if that's the plan because my current setup is both extremely expensive and also working fine with previous titles on the PS4. To change everything now is a huge kick in the face to all racers on Playstation but shouldn't be too surprising considering what Sony have already done to Logitech wheel users. 
  • Chris  BrosharChris Broshar Member
    edited July 2016
    Ever read your terms of service? Sony can change anything they want. Companies do this ALL the time. Believe me if Sony wants to move forward with a new plan for peripherals they will. They've already contacted Fanatec so it appears they have started this plan regardless of whether you, I or anyone else agrees. Don't like it start commenting directly to Sony as Fanatec can't change a thing in this regard. People will threaten to sell their PS4 but if history is an inductor it's a empty threat. Just like all the "no Fanatec support for XboxOne" threats people issued then posted photos of their Day One edition X1. LOL.
  • nah, third party developers will still support every rim, it's only the official sony racing games which will require you to buy a special rim, as the wheel support completely depends wheter the developers wants it to add into the game or not.

@ShareGamePlay @heinekev @imjustthecouch As a Sony published title we're only allowed to support officially licensed peripherals.

• Ok I understand the reasoning behind removing this.
    But could someone tell me what 'May' work on the PS4?

Will any rim work with my Clubsport base or is it rim specific? Just trying to judge where I stand with Gran Turismo Sport coming out.
    edited July 2016
    Ok I understand the reasoning behind removing this.

Will any rim work with my Clubsport base or is it rim specific? Just trying to judge where I stand with Gran Turismo Sport coming out.
    Not sure I understand your question. But I'll try. Any new rim released will work with the CLUBSPORT base. Future PS4 support will need a specific PS4 rim and yes that will work with the CLUBSPORT base. When it will be released we have no idea. Although I can only imagine Fanatec is working on it. Rims that currently work on the PS4 should continue to work on the PS4 unless Sony makes a change.

Not sure I understand your question. But I'll try. Any new rim released will work with the CLUBSPORT base. Future PS4 support will need a specific PS4 rim and yes that will work with the CLUBSPORT base. When it will be released we have no idea. Although I can only imagine Fanatec is working on it. Rims that currently work on the PS4 should continue to work on the PS4 unless Sony makes a change.
    Obviously any new wheel will work, I'm curious on what wheel rims were previously advertised as working?

Because obviously Fanatec haven't changed the design of those rims, they have just been asked by Playstation to stop saying they work.
    So I should still be able to purchase one of them and have it work with supporting games.

edited July 2016
    Ok I understand the reasoning behind removing this.

Obviously any new wheel will work, I'm curious on what wheel rims were previously advertised as working?

Because obviously Fanatec haven't changed the design of those rims, they have just been asked by Playstation to stop saying they work.
    So I should still be able to purchase one of them and have it work with supporting games.

Got it. I completely forgot that if you didn't know before it was removed you couldn't find out. Ok here's the list: All rims that work on the CLUBSPORT base. It was that easy before this new Sony mandate. EDIT: I don't think the CSL P1 works with PS4.

Got it. I completely forgot that if you didn't know before it was removed you couldn't find out. Ok here's the list: All rims that work on the CLUBSPORT base. It was that easy before this new Sony mandate. EDIT: I don't think the CSL P1 works with PS4.
    Your still Getting it wrong... Very simple.SMS, Codenasters ETC/ any Game that is developed by a company that is Not Owned by Sony or under exclusive Contract with sony the Current wheel Rims will work with PS4 if the Game Developers Choose to program in wheel support for their Games. Gt Sport will Never work with any Fanatec Wheels because it is Made By a Company that is Owned by Sony or under Exclusive Contract with Sony... The Only Hope of Fanatec wheels working with Gt Sport is if Fanatec would come out with a official PS4 Rim that Gives Fanatec Wheels Native Support like they did with the XBox 1 Hub Rim Combo....

Your still Getting it wrong... Very simple.SMS, Codenasters ETC/ any Game that is developed by a company that is Not Owned by Sony or under exclusive Contract with sony the Current wheel Rims will work with PS4 if the Game Developers Choose to program in wheel support for their Games. Gt Sport will Never work with any Fanatec Wheels because it is Made By a Company that is Owned by Sony or under Exclusive Contract with Sony... The Only Hope of Fanatec wheels working with Gt Sport is if Fanatec would come out with a official PS4 Rim that Gives Fanatec Wheels Native Support like they did with the XBox 1 Hub Rim Combo....
    No I'm correct. He asked, "I'm curious on what wheel rims were previously advertised as working?". The rims I listed were previously listed with PS4 support. He also knows that it's up to devs by his comment,"So I should still be able to purchase one of them and have it work with supporting games.". Sorry my reply to his specific question was correct.
  • Shruggg's... Nothing to debate here.... Gt Sport has about a 0.5% Chance of working without a Rim/Hub that provides PS4 Native Support...It will be just as Drive Club is years later...
  • Make that 0.0, it's an first party Sony game.
  • edited July 2016
    I'm with JW too. Unless Fanatec comes with a PS rim, NONE of all current rims/wheels will work with GT Sport. I do hope that once Fanatec is selling a PS rim the rest of the current rims will work with GT Sport too....but for some strange reason I doubt that. Cause it won't boost the PS rim sale in any way...only the new and some current (collectors) customers will buy it.

And Chris...the CSL P1 also works on PS 4  ;)  I've got the X1 hub, CSL P1 and BMW rim and they all work with PCars and Dirt 
  • Not sure why you keep bringing that up when he nor I mentioned it or any game. He's obliviously asking about current support. But if you look at my very 1st comment I covered new game releases: "Future PS4 support will need a specific PS4 rim and yes that will work with the CLUBSPORT base. When it will be released we have no idea." Shrug all you want but I've covered it from new releases to his question about what rims use to be labeled with PS4 support.
  • edited August 2016
    Not sure why you keep bringing that up when he nor I mentioned it or any game. He's obliviously asking about current support. But if you look at my very 1st comment I covered new game releases: "Future PS4 support will need a specific PS4 rim and yes that will work with the CLUBSPORT base. When it will be released we have no idea." Shrug all you want but I've covered it from new releases to his question about what rims use to be labeled with PS4 support.
    Seems that you Must work for Sony and Have insider information that No One Else Has to make such a Big Bold Statement as "No Future Release Games will work with Current Fanatec wheels"...Unless Something Has Changed the Current State is that Game Devs Can program in Wheel Support if they Choose to...Yes Sony Can Change the Policy if they Choose to but to date there has been Nothing said that States Game Devs Can No Longer Program in wheel support....at this point we dont Know anything for sure there has Been No official info Given...unless you know other wise... My best Guess is Gt Sport will Not work with Current Non Native support Rim Status... But that is a Sony produced Game so best guess it will be just like Drive Club but again only a guess No one has any Fact based info right Now. JMO Sony Blocking/ Not programming Wheel support on their Games Has Nothing to do with other Game Devs programming wheel support in if they choose to.

GT Sport IS mentioned in his question Chris ;)
  • Not sure why you keep bringing that up when he nor I mentioned it or any game. He's obliviously asking about current support. But if you look at my very 1st comment I covered new game releases: "Future PS4 support will need a specific PS4 rim and yes that will work with the CLUBSPORT base. When it will be released we have no idea." Shrug all you want but I've covered it from new releases to his question about what rims use to be labeled with PS4 support.
    Seems that you Must work for Sony and Have insider information that No One Else Has to make such a Big Bold Statement as "No Future Release Games will work with Current Fanatec wheels"...Unless Something Has Changed the Current State is that Game Devs Can program in Wheel Support if they Choose to...Yes Sony Can Change the Policy if they Choose to but to date there has been Nothing said that States Game Devs Can No Longer Program in wheel support....at this point we dont Know anything for sure there has Been No official info Given...unless you know other wise... My best Guess is Gt Sport will Not work with Current Non Native support Rim Status... But that is a Sony produced Game so best guess it will be just like Drive Club but again only a guess No one has any Fact based info right Now. JMO Sony Blocking/ Not programming Wheel support on their Games Has Nothing to do with other Game Devs programming wheel support in if they choose to.
    You are 100% correct

Thanks dude, that's exactly the information I was after.

Ok so the rims I have already have a small chance of working should PD support the Fanatec option.
    Here's hoping because I ain't buying a PS4 and a new wheel just to play one game.

Thanks dude, that's exactly the information I was after.

Ok so the rims I have already have a small chance of working should PD support the Fanatec option.
    Here's hoping because I ain't buying a PS4 and a new wheel just to play one game.
    No problem dude. Glad to help.
  • A few weeks before I asked for compatibility of V2 Base, BMW Wheel, V3 pedals and handbrake for PS4 with Dirt and Project Cars.

Finally I bought them. I have to say that it runs prefect!!!!! I tried yesterday, I updated firmware and drivers of base and pedals on a PC. I am very happy!!!!!!  the one problem now are the Led Display .... on Dirt it doesn´t work, if anyone knows.... Thank you.

• Hi, Dirt devs have not implemented the led display.

On PC you may use Fanaleds :
    http://www.fanaleds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624

On PS4 you ll'have to deal with no leds...

Not too much of a drawback anyway, the game and the rig are still great.
  • Hi, Dirt devs have not implemented the led display.

On PC you may use Fanaleds :
    http://www.fanaleds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624

On PS4 you ll'have to deal with no leds...

Not too much of a drawback anyway, the game and the rig are still great.
    Thank you very much!!!, you are right, it´s not so important. The wheel goes fine.

We will see with Asseto next month....

• What do you guys make of this?

Quote from head developer of GT Sport: “We plan to continue supporting PS3 wheels, but we also launched new wheels and we hope you’ll buy them.”