Fanatec Beta Driver V277/V278 for CSW V2 and V2.5

Armin HabermannArmin Habermann Member, Administrator
New beta driver for testing purpose!

Install only if you are used to beta software and potential issues using such early software.
No support can be given to beta software.
If you have problems...revert to driver v273 and the included firmwares FOR CSW V2.5 users!
If you have problems...revert to driver v261 and the included firmwares FOR CSW V2.0 users!

Changes:
  • Dual signed driver for Windows 7 users! Microsofts Windows 7 updates are not working perfectly any longer. This is why we do have to add an older/alternative Windows driver signature.
  • New CSW V2.5 motor driver firmware included (FFB optimized)
  • New CSW V2.0 firmware included (no new features / should resolve issues which happened with the firmware included in driver v276 -> FFB shut off / Fan issues).
Known issues:
  • Sometimes the Fanatec driver panel does not open. Windows has to be restarted. We are working on a solution for the next public driver version.
  • Sometimes after a base or motor driver FW update the wheel base starts quite a bit faster than usual. If that happens OR if the wheel base restarted just perfectly normal, please let us know in this thread.

Please report all issues which are found in this thread. Like mentioned before...there will be no support for the beta driver but all issues will be investigated to be resolved in future versions.

If you find any issues please post clear steps how the issue can be reproduced.

Please make sure that you mention as much information as possible (products/hardware involved, OS version, FW version, etc.) when you are describing problems with the new software. Videos/screenshots might ge a great help to analyze the issue.

UPDATE:
Driver V278 can be found a bit further down in the thread.

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Just installed it.  FFB feels more prone to developing strong osculations going in a straight line now in iracing.  When holding the wheel i think this translates into feeling a bit more notcheyness from the FFB impulses.  It could just be me though as with all these things.

I run with drift mode set to off.

Is that the sort of info your after or more after bugs ect?
  • Its dialled back out with a Drl settings of -4 or lower.  
  • edited March 2017
    Updated to 277 on CSW 2.5. Still the same issues (P1 wheel does not switch to PC mode and formula wheel does not enter calibration mode). Also, the the motor firmware upgrade step threw an error saying "Windows power shell stopped working" or something along the lines, so I suspect the motor firmware upgrade did not go well. Since I cannot flash the motor firmware manually, I don't know what to do now. @Armin, can I get the motor firmware as an independent file (I had asked for the same in the other thread as well) so that I can try to flash it and see if it works. I know that this is an early firmware and things are still being worked on, but I at least need the calibration working correctly to drive even with manual settings.
  • Do we still get fw's with updates for v2.0 too? Would be kind a sad if you ditch v2 all together and only do fw's to v2.5.
  • edited March 2017
    I am not sure what is causing the issue, but I think these are probably the reproduction steps:

- have the csw 2.5 wheelbase with the earliest firmware (shipped on 7th March from Hamburg)
    - install the 273 driver pack and flash both firmwares (both wheel and motor)
    - flash the wheel firmware again from the software (this time you won't be asked to flash the motor firmware).

You may now try to upgrade to 277 as well after the above steps (in which case the motor firmware upgrade will show an error).

My issue is that P1 wheel does not enter PC mode and formula wheel does not enter tuning mode (RevLED test and display test fail as well).

I am 100% willing to send you any logs and help with the testing. I have windows 10 with latest updates. 
  • edited March 2017
    We're all too spoiled guys. Remember there was a time that we had to reboot our PCs when installing a new program? Same here. I've done it with driver package 273 and 277, and the control panel popped up without any problems ;) Control panel even gave me 2 separate messages for updating the base firmware and motor firmware.
  • edited March 2017
    I am sure that my problem is not of being spoiled. I do not mind rebooting after reinstalling a driver. The issue that is mentioned above is that you have to reboot every time you restart your wheel. But my issues are far more serious as explained above. Just give me a way to calibrate my wheel and I will be driving all the weekend not bother about rebooting or anything. There are some definite annoyances with CSW 2.5 that needs to be fixed. Antoine Goossens, are you also on CSW 2.5 ? In that case, you can probably revert to 273 and flash both firmwares and then flash the wheel base firmware a second time (as I mentioned above). Then you will make sure if you are too spoiled or you are just a guy who wants his wheel to work.
  • edited March 2017
    My wheel works. Testing it as we speak on X1 and yes using the 2.5 now With the formula wheel, and I'm not saying you're dumb or stupid just starting steps one by one, did you push black button when it says "CAL" on display? After pushing black button, push both joysticks IN simultaneously and then push black button again. "CAL" shouldn't be seen anymore and calibration is done
  • Do we still get fw's with updates for v2.0 too? Would be kind a sad if you ditch v2 all together and only do fw's to v2.5.
    Read Armin s comment FULLY
  • edited March 2017
    Antoine, I am not able to "see CAL on display". As I said previously, my formula wheel does not enter calibration mode on pressing the tuning button as it should. The display does not turn on at all after upgrading the firmware. I suspect the motor firmware was not flashed correctly. It is really frustrating and I hope there is some way to fix this soon. When I got the wheel and turned it on first time, it did display some things (which I did not dig into much, and proceeded to upgrade the firmware after which it stopped working). Again, though I stated already above, I suspect this happened because I flashed the firmware twice (on 273, after a motor firmware flash, flash the firmware once again). Upgrading to 277 did not fix my issues. Is there another way to enter the CAL mode/ Is there some sort of debug mode? Also, does anyone know of any way to force flash the motor firmware? I tried to run the FwBaseMotorUpdate.exe but it says "no response received for ping command".
  • Normally, you can check of you can calibrate the wheel in the function test window. The wheel slider can be set to 0 manually. So open function test window, turn your wheel to mid point and see what value it gives. Then press the little black button, for wheel settings, and push the 2 joysticks simultaneously and see if the slider value changes to 0. Did you completely remove the Fanatec program off your pc and reinstalled it? Or did you overwrite it. Overwriting usually goes bad. I always completely Uninstall the program before installing new.
  • edited March 2017
    @Antoine, Finally I was able to enter the calibration mode when I removed and reinserted my formula wheel a few times while the wheel base was on. This was strange why it worked like this, but finally I was able to drive with a calibrated wheel. Anyway, thank you for your suggestions. And about your questions, yes, I had tried to remove the entire program and reinstall it rather than overwriting. I think this was some issue with the firmware, but anyway I am glad that it randomly worked. Waiting for the SDK release and native support in more games now :-)
  • edited March 2017
    How do you get the rev lights and gear/mph to work in rfactor 2 or any race game with this

Rfactor 2 .... when game started rf2 would show in display on wheel on v1 an v2 bases, the displays are dead in game with 2.5 but you can get led and lights to flash with propertys panel

tried iracing, raceroom , assetto and pcars all the same 

I have tried this on driver 273 and 277 and the firmwares with them where is driver 276?
  • @Antoine, Finally I was able to enter the calibration mode when I removed and reinserted my formula wheel a few times while the wheel base was on. This was strange why it worked like this, but finally I was able to drive with a calibrated wheel. Anyway, thank you for your suggestions. And about your questions, yes, I had tried to remove the entire program and reinstall it rather than overwriting. I think this was some issue with the firmware, but anyway I am glad that it randomly worked. Waiting for the SDK release and native support in more games now :-)
    Make sure the small center screw inside the wheel QR hub is securely snug...take a allen key and turn it in until you feel it get snug....that screw used to become loose on my 918 and F1 rim...finally last year i took it out and put a tab bit of blue loc tight on it and never  had that problem again....I'm pretty sure that's your problem when that screw is loose the pins push back inside the Rim Rub instead of the wheel base Hub...Nothing complicated its a easy Quick fix.
  •  Windows 10/64bit...I had no problems installing Either driver on the Windows 10 PC...I uninstalled the old Driver before i install the new 1

I was able to flash both FW with No problems...also i had No problem updating the electronics and Motor on Either FW.
    the only problem with both FW is that when you shut the Wheel off you have to reboot the Pc...This problem is present in both Driver_273 and 277.

Other than this minor issue with having to reboot PC the New FW and FFB motor update feel really good!!!

I have been playing Pcars for about 4 hours and not 1 problem!!!  i heard the base fans come on and run their cycle and shut off....after this is when i really felt the FFB come alive with a Vivid FFB feel that i have Not felt before using the v2...I use My same TF/RAC 75 tweek that's posted on the Pcars forum and also the same exact wheel settings that i use on the v2 wheel... same settings but what a Nice difference in feel.

also it feels that the v2.5 has less drag than the v2.0...i believe this less drag (wheel especially from TDC seems to move much more freely than the v2) is what makes the wheel FFB more vivid especially with subtle FFB forces.

I always use 0 Dri settings on both wheels...i tested the v2.5 @ dri -3 at this setting it feels as if it has the same drag as the v2.0 

Nice job!!! I know it will only get better =D>

My Windows 7/64bit PC has not been tested for proper install yet i will report back soon with my findings.

The title says v2/v2.5 so yes they are still supporting v2 bases. Everyone PLEASE READ fully before you comment.
  • Armin HabermannArmin Habermann Member, Administrator
    How do you get the rev lights and gear/mph to work in rfactor 2 or any race game with this

Rfactor 2 .... when game started rf2 would show in display on wheel on v1 an v2 bases, the displays are dead in game with 2.5 but you can get led and lights to flash with propertys panel

tried iracing, raceroom , assetto and pcars all the same 
    Hi Steve,

the CSW V2.5 does have a new USB-ID which is not yet supported by games and apps. The developers will need a new Fanatec PC SDK in order to enable support for this new product. Developers will receive the new SDK tomorrow.

;Ashik M Kizhakkepallathu 
    Your issue(s) do not sound like driver/firmware problems. Please contact the Fanatec support team to get everything resolved. THX!

• Natalie BNatalie B Member, Moderator, Betatester
    Looking good so far (apart from the afore mentioned control panel issue) all is well here.
    I will do some further testing with some older games (such as Dirt 3 and Grid etc too) just for information purposes.
  • edited March 2017
    Windows 10/64bit, Oculus Rift.... CSW v2.5 DR 277 and wheel FFB feel test... i must say that the v2.5 wheel, DR/FW performed and felt really good... I can Feel every spike shiwn in the FFB Graph!!!

I chose to test the CSW v2.5 DR/FW with Pcars @ Sakito GP because while i know the track layout i don't drive the track often so i am not spoiled by predetermined driving lines or expectation of how the wheel should feel or react.

I am using Gt3 Ruf W/stock untuned car suspension with only my TF/RAC 75 FFB settings dialed in....i was testing to feel how well the CSW v2.5 conveys Road, Bump, Weight transfer and Cornering feel.

I must say that it doe's its job Really Good!!! I was able to keep My lap time within .300 per lap with most laps getting progressively faster as i found where i could push the car harder based on wheel feel....i ended up with a 1:43.0xx to end the video but my fastest for the night was a 1:42.7xx!!! Not bad for a track i don't run much with a New Wheel & FW that I'm unfamiliar with!!! the 1:43.0xx i ended video with would have put me in the top 50 on the leader boards!!!

My on screen driver hands are moving 99% 1 to 1 with My real on wheel hand movements...Nice!!!

[video]
  • edited March 2017
    The v2.5 Wheel FW  & FFB feel test results are speaking for them selves!!! I set the World record last night =D>
    The wheel and FW performed flawless the entire 4+ hour gaming session!!! No wheel Disconnects, No loss of FFB, No random issues to be reported....it is already a known issue...when you shut wheel off you can not access the wheel properties page with out a PC restart... other than that minor snafu after a PC restart the wheel works flawless for all day gaming \m/

Any one who may Need FFB settings for Pcars this is the link to my thread...The PDF with the FFB Settings is 3/4ths down the page...it would be good if you read the front page there is a lot of info that will help you to understand the FFB settings.

The v2.5 Wheel FW  & FFB feel test results are speaking for them selves!!! I set the World record last night =D>

Congratulations! Looks like "good" FFB really is crucial to archive top performances :-)
  • ANY WORD ON THE DISPLAY AND LEDS FOR THE BMW RIM NOT WORKING ON IRACING?

• ANY WORD ON THE DISPLAY AND LEDS FOR THE BMW RIM NOT WORKING ON IRACING?

iRacing should implement support of the new v2.5 base.
  • NOT YET I GUESS. SUCKS ALL THE MONEY FOR A GOOD WHEEL AND NOT EVERYTHING IS WORKING YET
    @ Andrew
    Is it really that painful that you do have to wait for maybe 1-2 weeks until that is done? Would you really have preferred waiting for your wheel some more weeks until the game developers. Would this have been better for you? We can think about handling things like this on the next release if that eases up the situation for all our customers.
  • I didn't think there was going to be any problems im not mad what so ever its just I didn't know everything wasen't going to work right away

• edited March 2017
    Fanaleds Not working!!! i would have Never Known...I play in VR so My problem is that the Thumb Sticks and Buttons wont Map to control PCars Menu... But i Quickly found a way around that!!! i Activated/Enabled the Mouse feature in the Wheel property page and assigned the right thumb stick as a Hot key... I also Reduced the VR pointer time to 1 sec... Now anything i look at i click the thumbstic to activate...I still need a Joystick controler to Navigate some features until the wheel gets fully supported but for Now im Good.... Hope this will Help some one else who is using VR. Where there is a will there is a way... Some time you just gotta be Creative \m/

Edit: I know the v2.0 and v2.5 are supposed to be almost the Same But it dont Feel like it!!! I find with the v2.5 its Much easier to be Consistent Lap after Lap and I can just hit Every Apex with Little to No thought... I was Getting Fast Laps with the v2.0 but im Eather toying around Matching or Beating Many of My Best Lap times in Online Races!!!
  • I have installed v277 yesterday and my frustrations in Dirt Rally have been 98% solved. At the moment there is only 1 button which does not seem to be properly mapped. 
    F4 which in Porsche TurboS mapped to button4 in Dirt Rally is currently the only which is not working.

Happy camper here :)
    edited March 2017
    I have installed v277 yesterday and my frustrations in Dirt Rally have been 98% solved. At the moment there is only 1 button which does not seem to be properly mapped. 
    Hi Nuno,

the mapping in a game is not really related to the driver and firmware. The game developer will decide how the buttons are mapped. If you don't like it then you will have to change the mapping in the game. As long as you see all buttons working in the driver menu as they should there will be no hardware/driver/firmware issue ;-)
  • Hi Armin,

Yes, I understand that, but with the official driver most of the buttons were not being properly used on the game.

In the game you cannot customise this F4 button, as such, I guess that the game devs choose which wheel button to use on their own and they forgot button 4 assignment in this case.

I need to check if there was any update to the game between monday and yesterday. maybe that was what solved the problem and not really the driver :x
This discussion has been closed.