New Tuning parameter "Force Effects Intensity" (FEI) - Beta Firmware & Survey

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
We have developed a new firmware and driver (v291) for the CSL Wheel Bases and we kindly ask you to test it and give us your feedback. 
On one hand the CSL Elite Wheel Bases (CSL E WB, CSL E RW PS4) can reproduce high-dynamic force feedback effects as intense as sent by games/simulations. On the other hand some of you and some reviewers reported that these harsh effects can cause some mechanical noise within the new and extremely direct (single) belt drive system. Even if this behaviour does not harm the hardware in any way, in some situations the mechanical sounds of the wheel base might be perceived as being too loud, depending on your game and tuning menu settings.

To provide optimizations according to your personal preference we are introducing a new tuning menu parameter called 'FEI' ('Force Effect Intensity'), adjustable within the range of 000 - 010. The current default setting is 000 which is equal to the parameters in previous public released firmwares for both bases. Increasing the value for FEI means that the motor will decrease the attack impact, when FFB effects are leading to immediate direction changes. Higher FEI values softens up the intensity of harsh effects to reduce mechanical sounds and can even make them feel more natural. 

We’re giving you full ability to tweak your wheel within the FEI scale to find your preferred sweet spot, or still enjoy the product even without using this new parameter. 

Please tell us which FEI setting you would recommend to be our new default setting providing a perfect balance between effect intensity, feeling and noise. This should suit to the average customer out of box, not only the hardcore sim-racer. Please test it in as many simulations/games and platforms as possible.

If there is anything you want to let us know then please post it in a comment.

Changelog:
Driver changes:
Included new CSL rim option "Disable CSL Steering Wheel RevStripe" in Property Page - Settings tab.
Included new CSL E WB PS4 option "Allow CSW V2 Compatibility mode on PC" in Property Page - Settings tab.
Various small improvements and bug-fixes

Firmware changes:
New firmwares for CSL E WB and CSL E WB PS4 (CSL Elite PS4 Racing Wheel)
“FEI” function has been added to tuning menu
CSL P1 rev-stripe can be de-activated by the driver

There is no new firmware for other wheels, wheel bases, pedals or accessories included in this package but the driver still can be used for other devices as well.
New "FEI" Tuning function default value
  1. What FEI value would you choose to be the new default setting?49 votes
    1. 0 (same as all previous firmware versions)
      24.49%
    2. 1
        0.00%
    3. 2
        4.08%
    4. 3
        4.08%
    5. 4
        2.04%
    6. 5
      34.69%
    7. 6
      10.20%
    8. 7
        4.08%
    9. 8
        4.08%
    10. 9
        2.04%
    11. 10
      10.20%
  2. Are you satisfied with this new feature?49 votes
    1. Yes
      91.84%
    2. No
        8.16%

Comments

• Mark AmbroseMark Ambrose Member
    edited August 2017
    Will there come a mac update app ?? Dont use windows
  • Great work again from the Fanatec crew! I will test the firmware soon an leave my feedback here. Many thanks so far!
  • edited August 2017
    Thanks for this firmware, it is something unexpected but really appreciated.
    I've been driving in rFactor 2 at Silverstone with US2000, as this sim is probably the one where the rattling over kerbs is worse. In order to get a big improvement and almost fix the issue I had to set FEI to 6 or 7. There still are some noises here and there, but it's much more limited: let's say that FEI fixes the major rattling that I could hear over each kerb, so for 90% of the time I would say it's a big improvement.
    FEI does smooth all the effects, though: rF2 with the track/car combination I mentioned has a distinct "noise" that can be felt while driving in any condition, increasing FEI it is to notice that the effect is reduced up to the point where it can't be felt anymore. To me it's not a bad thing per se, but this might lead to future developments where Fanatec creates a plugin dedicated to each sim, so to get the most out of their bases. rFactor 2 suffers from major rattling over kerbs and while going off-road, so you might check with a dedicated plugin if the car is on the road or if it's on a different surface and (in the second case) smooth effects that should be played.
    This is just an idea, I don't know if it's feasible on your side: it would be nice to have a dedicated control panel for each sim where you can fine tune the effects as long as you use the dedicated plugin. I know this would definitely require much more work, but it would definitely bring Fanatec products to a whole new level of possible fine tuning.

In the end, I would keep FEI at 0 by default so not to lose any possible FFB effect, with the possibility for the user to tune it as he/she prefers.
  • I still use whatever default firmware came on my v2 wheel. Once I love how something feels and it's perfect for me, I'm scared to change it!
  • Firstly I'd like to thank Fanatec for taking the steps to try and elivate this issue for CSL Elite Base users, in my case I've been using the wheel on PS4 since June. I had noticed in online content that some customers had returned there CSL Elite's due to the mechanical noise and it was one of my main concerns when I began using the wheel with Project Cars. I stayed away from the game and instead purchased Assetto Corsa which is highly acclaimed and the issue persisted. After some research I found some settings that calmed down the issue and I happily used the wheel.

In the last two hours however this FEI Setting really has changed the CSL Elite Base and in my view allows it to flourish to it's full potential. I think many users like myself who've not owned a Fanatec product due to previous licensing issues were concerned that such a critically acclaimed company had produced a product that appeared on the surface not suitable for it's housing or the market as a whole.

The FEI for me has allowed me to run at default settings again across the board in both games and filter in my preferences there after and once my baseline has been found I can then adjust the FEI accordingly to where I maintain the forces but without the mechanical cogging which can actually be felt through the wheel as well as audibly and I have found it very distracting.

That said however, I do believe that moving forward as many titles themselves are new to Fanatec products that Fanatec themselves try to setup default profiles per title that the user can then specifically work with to cater for his or her needs. In Assetto Corsa for example there is no identification of the CSL Elite Base or options to tweak any part of the wheel itself asides standard FFB settings. This can be an issue when trying to get the best results with the hardware. 

My preferred setting was 6 or 7. Any higher I found it too smooth and detracted from the force being applied (Floaty) but any less than 6/7 I found the rattling to become a major issue again. What we must acknowledge is the technology is new in relation to PS4 connectivity but with the steps Fanatec and it's community takes I can see this being a partnership that can refine the market for racing for those outside of other product lines. 

In close, I feel if a profiling system could be implemented an app perhaps or something that could be installed to the wheel that would greatly enhance usability whilst keeping the core fundamentals simple for those less familiar with tweaking settings. Overall however this small step has been a major overhaul in just two games alone and with titles such as F1 2017, GT Sport and Project Cars 2 coming to PS4 later this year I feel it's a very good time to be apart of the Fanatec Community.   
  • Firstly I'd like to thank Fanatec for taking the steps to try and elivate this issue for CSL Elite Base users, in my case I've been using the wheel on PS4 since June. I had noticed in online content that some customers had returned there CSL Elite's due to the mechanical noise and it was one of my main concerns when I began using the wheel with Project Cars. I stayed away from the game and instead purchased Assetto Corsa which is highly acclaimed and the issue persisted. After some research I found some settings that calmed down the issue and I happily used the wheel.

In the last two hours however this FEI Setting really has changed the CSL Elite Base and in my view allows it to flourish to it's full potential. I think many users like myself who've not owned a Fanatec product due to previous licensing issues were concerned that such a critically acclaimed company had produced a product that appeared on the surface not suitable for it's housing or the market as a whole.

The FEI for me has allowed me to run at default settings again across the board in both games and filter in my preferences there after and once my baseline has been found I can then adjust the FEI accordingly to where I maintain the forces but without the mechanical cogging which can actually be felt through the wheel as well as audibly and I have found it very distracting.

That said however, I do believe that moving forward as many titles themselves are new to Fanatec products that Fanatec themselves try to setup default profiles per title that the user can then specifically work with to cater for his or her needs. In Assetto Corsa for example there is no identification of the CSL Elite Base or options to tweak any part of the wheel itself asides standard FFB settings. This can be an issue when trying to get the best results with the hardware. 

My preferred setting was 6 or 7. Any higher I found it too smooth and detracted from the force being applied (Floaty) but any less than 6/7 I found the rattling to become a major issue again. What we must acknowledge is the technology is new in relation to PS4 connectivity but with the steps Fanatec and it's community takes I can see this being a partnership that can refine the market for racing for those outside of other product lines. 

In close, I feel if a profiling system could be implemented an app perhaps or something that could be installed to the wheel that would greatly enhance usability whilst keeping the core fundamentals simple for those less familiar with tweaking settings. Overall however this small step has been a major overhaul in just two games alone and with titles such as F1 2017, GT Sport and Project Cars 2 coming to PS4 later this year I feel it's a very good time to be apart of the Fanatec Community.   

I Just tested too and in Assetto (ps4) is very good but probably i need some diffrent settings of wheel.

Jonahtan could you show me your settings of wheel  ?

• I Just tested too and in Assetto (ps4) is very good but probably i need some diffrent settings of wheel.

Jonahtan could you show me your settings of wheel  ? 

I haven't had enough time to test with the new FEI setting only 2 hours or so. My old settings prior to this update where as follows:

In Game:

FFB 100%
    Road 20%
    Curb 20%

Wheel:

FF 100
    Sho 100
    ABS 100 ( I like the feeling with clubsport rims it helps me with my disability)
    DRI Off
    FOR 120
    SPR 120
    DPR 100

As I explained these are old settings that were given too me, first trying them with the new update the difference was substantial so I'm starting from scratch. 

Hope this helps somewhat. I think the best option is to start from baseline values and work with the manual to best understand what each bit does and adjust accordingly.

Best wishes

Jonathan

• I have just upgraded to this firmware and seem to have a problem using my shifter 1.5 now

My setup is as follows

PC
    • CSL Elite PS4 Connected to USB port on PC (Driver version 291 Beta, Firmware version 312)
    • CSL Elite Pedals LC (Handbrake 1.5 connected and Shifter 1.5 connected to pedals) connected to USB port on PC (Driver version 291 Beta, Firmware version 1.9)

Using control panel Fanatic Wheel properties displays the problem

The manual shift no longer works properly, selecting 1st gear selects reverse, selecting reverse is reverse, 3rd gear is 5th). Everything else seems ok.

Unfortunately I cannot downgrade as the previous driver won't install.

If you could investigate or other users with same setup could confirm that would be very helpful! Thanks

• Did you calibrate the shifter?
  • Kevin BrutonKevin Bruton Member
    edited August 2017
    :-) Thankyou! No I did not! It's now working, thank you for the prompt reply!

Edit: 
    PS. I love my Fanatec wheel +Shifter +Handbrake + pedals :-)
  • pretty good, I reckon level 3 gets rid of the clacking in projects cars. Assetto Corsa depends on the car for me. F1's level2.
    Cheers Fanatec bloody good stuff!
  • Did anybody try it in Forza Motorsport 6. This game has very "hard" (yes i know, and bad)  FFB. This parameter should change that a bit for fm6.
  • Hi, having an issue since doing the update... easiest way to explain is by video..

probably a simple setting tweek, but i'm not the brightest
    Thanks
  • edited August 2017
    Hi, having an issue since doing the update... easiest way to explain is by video..

probably a simple setting tweek, but i'm not the brightest
    Thanks
    Try turning the drift mode off or at least to a lower setting.

• Try turning the drift mode off or at least to a lower setting.
    Drift mode is off,  first thing ii did...lol does it whether it is in game or not so i assume its a setting in the wheel

• edited August 2017
    Really good to see people engaging here. However I think the settings can cause confusion for the wider community. My reasoning for that is we all use different settings in every title we choose to use and of course we're all giving our views. But for example if we take Project Cars because of the vast array of FFB options in the title where 3 on the FEI maybe suitable someone may require a higher or lower setting dependant on the in game settings that he or she uses. 

Much the same for Assetto Corsa as these are the only two real titles on console with GT Sport, F1 2017 and Project Cars 2 to come. 

With this said whilst I think the FEI is a superb addition and hopefully together we can eliminate the issues persisting to get the most out of our hardware, I do however feel a profiling system would need to be developed to start everyone on the same footing. From there we can adjust per title. Otherwise I could see a lot of responses being made that themselves don't eliminate or help the issue as explained it's merely impossible to cater for every FFB in game setting. My suggestion is  perhaps a global profiling system per title would be a better system which people can then adapt from rather than Fanatec having to adapt to every individual which isn't practical nor feasible in my opinion with everyone having different settings from one extremeity to the other. 

• Try turning the drift mode off or at least to a lower setting.
    Drift mode is off,  first thing ii did...lol does it whether it is in game or not so i assume its a setting in the wheel

I had issues with this as well when starting in game from menus in Asetto. I reset the wheel back to default settings on the adjustments panel and let the wheel re calibrate and then applied my settings again and it seemed to solve the issue.

Hope it helps!

• I had issues with this as well when starting in game from menus in Asetto. I reset the wheel back to default settings on the adjustments panel and let the wheel re calibrate and then applied my settings again and it seemed to solve the issue.

Hope it helps!
    will give it a go, thanks

• I have just upgraded to this firmware and seem to have a problem using my shifter 1.5 now

My setup is as follows

PC
    • CSL Elite PS4 Connected to USB port on PC (Driver version 291 Beta, Firmware version 312)
    • CSL Elite Pedals LC (Handbrake 1.5 connected and Shifter 1.5 connected to pedals) connected to USB port on PC (Driver version 291 Beta, Firmware version 1.9)

Using control panel Fanatic Wheel properties displays the problem

The manual shift no longer works properly, selecting 1st gear selects reverse, selecting reverse is reverse, 3rd gear is 5th). Everything else seems ok.

Unfortunately I cannot downgrade as the previous driver won't install.

If you could investigate or other users with same setup could confirm that would be very helpful! Thanks

I know you said you didn't recalibrate the shifter because it's not working. You should be able to preform this function though. Hook it up as if it were brand new and go through the setup calibration process. That should fix the problem.
  • Can't understand why folks are having issues with rattling thing in pcars, sounds to me like in game and wheel settings are wrong. My settings on wheel are FFB-100,  SEN-AUT,   DRI-+2 FOR 20 DAM-OFF SPR-OFF.   In game. (ffb cal).  Turn down the tyre force to 80 default much to high. Turn down the linkage stiffness to 65 higher if you want more wheel weight.  I turned down the linkage damping to 0 not to sure about this one but seemed to make the wheel feel better .  I also turned the menu spring to zero.  Individual cars ffb setting are more or less default , master scale can be adjusted to taste but default 26 or 24 depending on car class. Fx Fy Fz Mz can be experimented with to find out what dose what and set to taste.  I found that the Mz scale to high and turned it down way past half the others, even less for road and vintage cars. I also must point out that Fx smoothing can remove buzzing or rattling.  I may be way off the mark for some people but I like my ffb not to heavy more informative , on the realistic side, I don't get any base rattling, the ffb feel great with this new light weight rim.
  • edited August 2017

I have the same problems as with v289. Tuning menu on wheel opens itself. 

CSL Elite, P1 Wheel, CSL Elite Pedals with Load Cell
    Xbox One, Assetto Corsa, Forza Motorsport
  • Ich hoffe es ist in Ordnung das ich in deutsch schreibe.

Habe mit dieser Version die gleichen Probleme wie mit der v289. Das Tuning Menü öffnet sich selbstständig. Ausserdem läuft der Lüfter extrem lange nach. 10 Minuten reichen da nicht. 

CSL Elite, P1 Wheel, CSL Elite Pedale mit Load Cell
    This forum is English only.
  • Oh sorry, edited my post.
  • Aldis PolisAldis Polis Member
    edited August 2017

• I have the same problems as with v289. Tuning menu on wheel opens itself. 

Report this issue to Fanatec: I had the same problem and I was told they would open a case for future reference, as they never had anyone reporting it. In my case I also had buttons pressed when I did not touch them, resulting in random downshift and strange behavior. With more people reporting this hopefully they'll be able to investigate more.
    The issue seems to be related to P1 rim, at least it was for me.

• I have the same problems as with v289. Tuning menu on wheel opens itself. 

Report this issue to Fanatec: I had the same problem and I was told they would open a case for future reference, as they never had anyone reporting it. In my case I also had buttons pressed when I did not touch them, resulting in random downshift and strange behavior. With more people reporting this hopefully they'll be able to investigate more.
    The issue seems to be related to P1 rim, at least it was for me.
    With you we are 3 people having this issue (friend of me has the same issue). I already reported this problem to fanatec some time ago. 
  • I loved my wheel before but it's more alive than ever making games feel new again. Big fan of this update and fanatec.
  • I loved my wheel before but it's more alive than ever making games feel new again. Big fan of this update and fanatec.
    I can only echo this. Fantastic update guys.
    Also, my P1 wheel now remembers to start in PC mode - no more switching from Xbox mode. Thank you!!!
    :)
  • Hi all,

So I re installed project cars to test with the new update following my Assetto Corsa testing. I had some issues tuning Project Cars and even with the FEI setting I think the game as a whole will be very difficult to tune for console users and i'd like to express my thoughts as to why.

1. The wheel (CSL) Is recognised as a CSW V2 (PS4). For me this is the first issue as the games interpretation and delivery of forces to a wheel that isn't the actual hardware that you're using can be problematic. Even using other community setups I think the nature of the wheel not being recognised as a CSL brings issues itself. I'm aware Project Cars 2 is supported for the CSL PS4. With this in mind that itself is a big hurdle trying to build settings to be used on a wheel the settings aren't designed for. 

2. The in game settings. For me this was the biggest downfall of the game irrespective of what wheel you was using. I found the settings far too over engineered and whilst you would be expected to achieve this on your own in a real car, I don't feel the assistance to support you with that was offered in enough detail from the game to complement what you was trying to achieve therefore making it very challenging to dial in.

3. The different schemes for FFB. This again relates to point two, the game having so many different settings the overall setting you select may not be suitable for global settings you've adopted therefore rendering the settings counter productive. I believe if the game was designed into categories which it now has been for Project Cars 2 it would be far easier to build the overall profile you wanted both in game and for the wheel itself.

To close, Whilst Project Cars 1 is still playable and enjoyable to a point on PS4, I feel because of the compatibility issues and the complexity of the force feedback system I don't believe this title is a good way to contextualise the effectiveness of the FEI setting.With F1 2017 available next week Project Cars 2 in September and closing with GT Sport in October for PS4 users I think we can collate greater research on how the setting effects the wheels performance and pin down to the Fanatec team of any changes in due course.

Until then I suggest for PS4 at least we use Assetto Corsa as the benchmark as the game recognises the CSL Base and that's where I've seen the biggest benefits and improvements with the FEI setting but again I would prefer to see a profiling system to aid in dialling in the FFB between titles given there is 5 setup options available per wheel.

Hope this helps!
  • edited August 2017
    Hi all,

So I re installed project cars to test with the new update following my Assetto Corsa testing. I had some issues tuning Project Cars and even with the FEI setting I think the game as a whole will be very difficult to tune for console users and i'd like to express my thoughts as to why.

1. The wheel (CSL) Is recognised as a CSW V2 (PS4). For me this is the first issue as the games interpretation and delivery of forces to a wheel that isn't the actual hardware that you're using can be problematic. Even using other community setups I think the nature of the wheel not being recognised as a CSL brings issues itself. I'm aware Project Cars 2 is supported for the CSL PS4. With this in mind that itself is a big hurdle trying to build settings to be used on a wheel the settings aren't designed for. 

2. The in game settings. For me this was the biggest downfall of the game irrespective of what wheel you was using. I found the settings far too over engineered and whilst you would be expected to achieve this on your own in a real car, I don't feel the assistance to support you with that was offered in enough detail from the game to complement what you was trying to achieve therefore making it very challenging to dial in.

3. The different schemes for FFB. This again relates to point two, the game having so many different settings the overall setting you select may not be suitable for global settings you've adopted therefore rendering the settings counter productive. I believe if the game was designed into categories which it now has been for Project Cars 2 it would be far easier to build the overall profile you wanted both in game and for the wheel itself.

To close, Whilst Project Cars 1 is still playable and enjoyable to a point on PS4, I feel because of the compatibility issues and the complexity of the force feedback system I don't believe this title is a good way to contextualise the effectiveness of the FEI setting.With F1 2017 available next week Project Cars 2 in September and closing with GT Sport in October for PS4 users I think we can collate greater research on how the setting effects the wheels performance and pin down to the Fanatec team of any changes in due course.

Until then I suggest for PS4 at least we use Assetto Corsa as the benchmark as the game recognises the CSL Base and that's where I've seen the biggest benefits and improvements with the FEI setting but again I would prefer to see a profiling system to aid in dialling in the FFB between titles given there is 5 setup options available per wheel.

Hope this helps!
    I have explored Pcars FFB settings to the Fullest PC/ PS4 & XB1!!!! Most of the settings are Redundent and Not Needed....While it is or can be a Enjoyable Game to Play it is Lacking in Cornering Road Feel VS Assetto Corsa ---> Pcars Has a Rubberband Road Feel that you can Not Dial out. The Key to Controlling PCars Harsh FFB effects is TF 75 (can be set to taste) <--- Constant wheel Weight/Torque , RAG 100 <--- FFB Max Power Level of FFB Forces * this should always be set to 100/1.0 No Matter what ... Its purpose is to be a Limiter ---> any force that try to Rise/Spike rise above this will be Cut. RAC 75 or Less <--- RAC directly sets the power Limit of FFB Spikes and Must be set Accordingly ---> Ex: When you cut the power off to a Fan the Fan blades will keep spinning until the residual Power Dissapates ---> The FFB is the same way RAC 75 stops adding power to FFB at 75% but FFB power will continue to Spike until the residual power wears off. if your wheel is Rattling too Much Lower RAC until Rattling stops or FFB Effects curbs, Rumble strips etc feel Good to you ---> RAB sets the time that FFB power will be cut to create changes in Wheel weight to Create FFB effects feel ---> a Good starting point is 0.08 ---> all this info can be found in My thread AKA GrimeyDog ---> Pcars Forum "Lets talk FFB thread" you can find it in the PS4 section \m/ Feel Free to post if you like i have Moved on to R3E and AC but i will update the Thread with additional info if any 1 Needs Help..... Be warned its alot of Reading ---> 750+ pages LOL