Fanatec Podium Series - UPDATE

Comments

• Good afternoon,
    I would like to congratulate Fanatec for its products designed and made with the utmost professionalism.
    On the other hand comment that I am a user of PS4 for its simplicity and I have the pack of CSL PS4, but to see that the most powerful bases are only compatible with PC and XBOX makes me think of going to XBOX to sell CSL PS4 and buy the base V2. 5 or the new DD.
    As I read in many forums the XBOX does not get to get the full potential as in a PC of Fanatec products, is that true?
    I do not want to change to XBOX and buy a base like DD or V2.5 and then it does not yield 100% by being connected to a console.
    I hope your comments will help me.
    Note: I have no option to put a PC in the room connected to the TV
  • edited September 2017
    Good afternoon,
    I would like to congratulate Fanatec for its products designed and made with the utmost professionalism.
    On the other hand comment that I am a user of PS4 for its simplicity and I have the pack of CSL PS4, but to see that the most powerful bases are only compatible with PC and XBOX makes me think of going to XBOX to sell CSL PS4 and buy the base V2. 5 or the new DD.
    As I read in many forums the XBOX does not get to get the full potential as in a PC of Fanatec products, is that true?
    I do not want to change to XBOX and buy a base like DD or V2.5 and then it does not yield 100% by being connected to a console.
    I hope your comments will help me.
    Note: I have no option to put a PC in the room connected to the TV
    I play PC, PS4 and Xbox1 and Pcars ---> with the right FFB tweek the FFB feels almost identical on all of them... The Biggest Diff is the Graphics of course PC blows both systems away.... The FFB strength on XB1 is Much stronger than PC and PS4 but once you adjust the Game Master FFB correctly FFB Feel is almost identical on all 3 systems ....Ex: PC,PS4 GM FFB = 75 -vs- XB1 GM FFB = 20---> all other FFB tweek settings are the same... allthough PC puts out finer more detailed FFB feel its Not Night and Day Difference... Console has come a long way. I used the v2 on all 3 systems and v2.5 on PC and XB1 and the Feel is Really Good across the board... IMO PS4 and XB1 are even when it comes to FFB feel...I spent alot of time Tweeking FFB and playing Pcars on PC and PS4 the FFB feel is Very Close... Now I spend More time Playing Pcars on PC and XB1 and again the FFB feel is Very Close ---> The Biggest difference between the 3 systems is the Graphics... XB1 Pcars Graphics are 3rd place out of the 3 systems but they are still Good Enough to Really Enjoy the Game.... If you havent played all 3 systems then this fact you would Never know.... Hope this Helps \m/
  • Great naming for this new product series. I have to wait for the second generation of the DD wheel as I'm racing on PS4 only. But I will keep on tracking this product...
  • Préco to come !!!
  • First pics of the base, courtesy of Team Redline @ the SimRacing Expo 

• Ok we see new DD. More specifications are welcome Thomas.
  • That camouflage paint needs to come off now, its now been officially revealed, but the size does look nice and compact oowweee  :-c
  • edited September 2017
    So here it is.and about to feel it too. Yeah
  • Rami AholaRami Ahola Member
    edited September 2017
    Same mounting holes/pattern than in CSW's? And does it have separate box for electronics like every other DD-wheel in market has?
  • Hristo GoshevHristo Goshev Member
    edited September 2017
    Someone who can translate from German?
    about four hours from the start of the live broadcast:

• edited September 2017
    Someone who can translate from German?

Heyho hristo,

a few words about this interview with Thomas ... and sorry, english isnt my mother tongue ;-)

2 different versions of Fanatecs DD wheel will be available and can be tested at Simracing EXPO. Both versions of Fanatecs Podium-Wheelbases differ in strength and price. Thomas mentioned compatibility of all Fanatec wheels with DD- Wheelbases and announced other simracingperipherals of Fanatecs Podium (hardcore) series like wheels, pedals, shifter and handbrake.

Thomas underlined the collaboration with Porsche and he "gave us a secret" about developing brandnew Porsche Wheels ;-)

A community event will possibly take place in November, where simracing community will be able to compare Fantecs brandnew DD-wheel to other simracing competitors.

Thomas said that prices of DD-Wheels will be within the expected range of the simracing community. Nothing new about release date ... its ready when its ready, like Thomas said.

Greetings

• Someone who can translate from German?

Heyho hristo,

a few words about this interview with Thomas ... and sorry, english isnt my mother tongue ;-)

2 different versions of Fanatecs DD wheel will be available and can be tested at Simracing EXPO. Both versions of Fanatecs Podium-Wheelbases differ in strength and price. Thomas mentioned compatibility of all Fanatec wheels with DD- Wheelbases and announced other simracingperipherals of Fanatecs Podium (hardcore) series like wheels, pedals, shifter or handbrake.

Thomas underlined the collaboration with Porsche and he "gave us a secret" about developing brandnew Porsche Wheels ;-)

A community event will possibly take place in November, where simracing community will be able to compare Fantecs brandnew DD-wheel to other simracing competitors.

Thomas said that prices of DD-Wheels will be within the expected range of the simracing community. Nothing new about release date ... its ready when its ready, like Thomas said.

Greetings

Thank you very much!
  • oohhh! the camouflage haha can't se the esthetics, guys make a review of the ddw, how is it? It doesn't look like a prototype anymore, I like it !

• Same mounting holes/pattern than in CSW's? And does it have separate box for electronics like every other DD-wheel in market has?
    Yes, it has the 3 hole pattern like CSW base, without angle mount, and CSL E bases. It only has an external power brick. All electrics inside are wireless!!! It also has a display to navigate trough different type of settings like torque, with telemetry, temperature etc I'm hyped!!!!!

• I am sure there are a decent amount of console players out there like myself who would certainly upgrade to a DD wheel. It is true that the DD base will probably be much more expensive than the consoles themselves, but to me that does not matter. I choose the simplicity of a console, but I still want the best wheel available to maximize my experience. My CSW v2 + XB1 Universal hub is awesome, but if there is something that is better, then I need it in my life!

I know that I could move to PC racing to enjoy a richer experience, but for the moment I like being able to hook up to my consoles and a big TV.

Looking forward to the unveiling!

Oh man ...take my money

I agree with and support both of the opinions above!
  • Nice beast :)

Curious to see how your own designed motor compete against other DD on the market.

Also curious to see what ffb settings/filtering/post processing you have included (is FEI supported ? I'm guessing it could be useful if a dd is even more analytic than your current belt driver bases).
  • edited September 2017

• The one question that still needs to be asked is what is the torque difference between the 2 DD wheels. The price will be what it will be, but the torque will give us a better idea of the power of the DD wheels vs the V2.5. 
  • I am old and i don't get excited easly but sim racing girl & the thought of a Fanatec DD wheel get me everytime...and who was that man speaking for Thomas ;)?
  • I am old and i don't get excited easly but sim racing girl & the thought of a Fanatec DD wheel get me everytime...and who was that man speaking for Thomas ;)?
    Yeah who the heck was that impostor lol, I think when growing your facial hair for the duration of a project from start to finish is dedication on its own.  =D>
    Yeah who the heck was that impostor lol, I think when growing your facial hair for the duration of a project from start to finish is dedication on its own.  =D>
    Agreed but these haircuts show me that Thomas is a progressive thinker...not muddled in the past and moving forward, i can appreciate this :). Oh and thanks for sourcing that interview Luca this base looks very promising...can't lie i am sold. This looks to be a very refined & user friendly product.
  • Is there a video from the presentation on simracingexpo?
    Ya. https://www.facebook.com/Fanatec/videos/1492461347496523/
    Ya. https://www.facebook.com/Fanatec/videos/1492461347496523/

Thank you
  • Hi,

A really very interesting piece of technique. I would like to apply as a tester.
  • Henri RufinHenri Rufin Member
    edited September 2017
    The one question that still needs to be asked is what is the torque difference between the 2 DD wheels. The price will be what it will be, but the torque will give us a better idea of the power of the DD wheels vs the V2.5. 
    This is a good question but obviously and for some unknown reasons Fanatec decided not to give any information about torque. I guess they want us to keep dreaming about the podium series as long as possible before the release date. 

Regarding Xbox PS4 compatibility Thomas did confirm in the video with Simracing Girl the podium series will be compatible with Xbox but he also implied they are doing their best to make it compatible with both the XBox and the PS4. So it's a bit blur... My wildest dream being having a direct drive wheel base with a quick release system to connect both a F1 and a GT3 wheel compatible with my PS4 and/or an Xbox. Yes despite the fact the whole rig might cost 4 times the value of the console alone, many drivers like me want an high end product providing a great driving experience without use complexity and space issues of a PC installation. I like using consoles and I believe these machines are getting powerful enough to allow such a performance now. Fanatec is doing right going down this path and they shall be rewarded for it. Democratizing true simracing experience to non geek customers... That is a huge market that has always been existing as this is not just about the sim racers community. It encompasses the whole driver nuts community which is just 10000 times bigger.  As a matter of fact I am 32 years old and this is my dream since I am 4 years old. So Fanatec please read my post and don't disappoint me ;-)))