CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator

We already put it on pre-order and here is a short video aboutr the main features. We have put a lot of attention to details in this steering wheel.

Please participate in the survey and let me know what you like on it. 

I will fly to to the factory next week in order to supervise the start of production. Can't wait :)
CSL Elite Steering McLaren features
  1. What is your most favourite feature of this steering wheel?160 votes
    1. Pricing
      36.25%
    2. Analog clutch paddles
      39.38%
    3. 4 modes for the analog paddles
        7.50%
    4. upgradeable QR system
        7.50%
    5. OLED Display
        8.75%
    6. Integrated Allen key tool and screw storage
        0.63%
  2. What is your second favourite feature?160 votes
    1. Pricing
      22.50%
    2. Analog Clutch paddles
      22.50%
    3. 4 modes for the analog paddles
      20.00%
    4. upgradeable QR system
      15.63%
    5. OLED Display
      18.13%
        1.25%
  3. What is your third most favourite feature?160 votes
    1. Pricing
      17.50%
    2. Analog clutch paddles
      11.25%
    3. 4 modes for analog paddles
      23.75%
    4. Upgradeable QR system
      18.75%
    5. OLED display
      24.38%
        4.38%

Comments

• Nice promo, please put your autograph on my wheel :-)
  • A great video. Just as usual.
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Can't wait to get this! Tell them they need to send out an early batch LOL
  • Like any other product from FANATEC, Superb!!!!!!
  • edited November 2017
    I ordered as well. As a one-monitor guy I'm looking forward to use secondary paddles as my look left/look right buttons. It would be great if racing games implemented something like analog-kinda looking left and right, so if I press analog paddle a little, I only look to the side a little, not "full time" like it is right now. Something like a level, horisontal trackIR, but with paddles :) 
    Now waiting for some news on podium direct drive wheelbases :)
  • Awesome steering, can’t wait to get in my hands, just hope it can map the clutch paddle to clutch pedal in the driver to not have to map in the game every time you switch to H pattern cars.
  • The rubber grip does not look or feel as nice as Alcantara (those used on the formula rims).
    BUT while Alcantara may feel nice (when new), it does not work well with my sweaty hands. 

Among the limited materials I know, I prefer leather, but that looks out of place on a formula-style rim. So I actually have no better answer to this myself. 

I actually don't mind the rubber grip if there are no other better options, I just hope it's not the kind that degrades to sticky stuff in a few years. 

• Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Awesome steering, can’t wait to get in my hands, just hope it can map the clutch paddle to clutch pedal in the driver to not have to map in the game every time you switch to H pattern cars.
    The clutch paddles work in parallel to the clutch pedal for your foot. No need to remap anything.
  • The rubber grip does not look or feel as nice as Alcantara (those used on the formula rims).
    BUT while Alcantara may feel nice (when new), it does not work well with my sweaty hands. 

Among the limited materials I know, I prefer leather, but that looks out of place on a formula-style rim. So I actually have no better answer to this myself. 

I actually don't mind the rubber grip if there are no other better options, I just hope it's not the kind that degrades to sticky stuff in a few years. 

I'm also a big fan of Alcantara... but... please note:

"This is an exact reproduction of the steering wheel used in McLaren GT3 race cars"

You won't find any Alcantara in the original McLaren GT3. Then why should Fanatec deviate from it?
    I think we will be supplied with a high-quality steering wheel. That's why I trust Fanatec and have pre-ordered it as well.
  • Jure SirokJure Sirok Member
    edited December 2017
    I just wanna know why CSW V1 is not supported?
  • Any news on when it will be shipped? Do we really have to wait until February? :/ You're missing some options in the poll: Rotary switches!
  • Haowei HsiehHaowei Hsieh Member
    edited December 2017
    The rubber grip does not look or feel as nice as Alcantara (those used on the formula rims).

I'm also a big fan of Alcantara... but... please note:

"This is an exact reproduction of the steering wheel used in McLaren GT3 race cars"

You won't find any Alcantara in the original McLaren GT3. Then why should Fanatec deviate from it?
    I think we will be supplied with a high-quality steering wheel. That's why I trust Fanatec and have pre-ordered it as well.
    I pre-ordered it too. And knew the "exact reproduction" claim. 

Maybe I should reverse all my paragraphs so you'll read my last sentence first about my hint to Thomas: "I just hope it's not the kind that degrades to sticky stuff in a few years.", and you'll read in it that I am not really an Alcantara fan. (I had a 911GT3RS wheel that is still working, but requires frequent cleaning to keep Alcantara remain soft).

Appreciate your response, though. At least, to bring more of Thomas' attention, I hope. :-)
  •  I ordered aswell  so I can use ps4 elite wheel for xbox  X, plus the McLaren wheel is a good weight and dual clutch system. and at a good price.

Plz Thomas  the leather needs to be soft and comfy , my only negative thing on the the ps4 elite standard rim is it is very uncomfortable and hard and driving for long periods  have caused blisters  on the thumbs, 

Thomas what car do u drive real life?

• Will the display be able to show km/h and/or gear number?
  • Pre-ordered ;) Quick question guys, Is this Real or Fake carbon ? Sure I read or heard on video someone stating it was plastic with carbon affect using a special process, then again it could of just been one my weird dreams involving Fanatec products and sexy busty women(lol) 

Let me know which one is is please Fanatec ;)
  • Pre-ordered ;) Quick question guys, Is this Real or Fake carbon ? Sure I read or heard on video someone stating it was plastic with carbon affect using a special process, then again it could of just been one my weird dreams involving Fanatec products and sexy busty women(lol) 

High quality plastic.

High quality plastic.
    Thanks. Its Been driving me mad all today and lastnight after a guy said was all Carbon wheel and I said was sure was plastic with Carbon affect.

Now I am wondering where I read or heard this to begin with.  Can you help Maurice ?
  • Too bad there is no real alternative for the formula rim for use on an Xbox. I decided to pre order this but for my taste the diameter is a little bit too large and the lack of alcantara is a bit of a let down. It looks great though and can't wait to get my hands on it next April. :neutral:
  •  I ordered aswell  so I can use ps4 elite wheel for xbox  X, plus the McLaren wheel is a good weight and dual clutch system. and at a good price.

Plz Thomas  the leather needs to be soft and comfy , my only negative thing on the the ps4 elite standard rim is it is very uncomfortable and hard and driving for long periods  have caused blisters  on the thumbs, 

Thomas what car do u drive real life?

Your blisters on your thumbs. This has nothing to do with the quality of the product. To take a very common example, new shoes, very often cause this problem. It's your skin, which must adapt to new areas of friction, which it is not used to. It is a natural process that depends on the quick adaptation or not, of one person over another.
    Why do you want to push the blame elsewhere than at its obvious origin?
    X_X X_X
  • Is the current price of $170 the MRSP or is it going to go up? will there be another pre-order window before march release?
  • Paul CasilioPaul Casilio Member
    edited December 2017
    Is the current price of $170 the MRSP or is it going to go up? will there be another pre-order window before march release?

Whoa, whoa, whoa...whoa.

Wasn't it releasing February 15th?!

I'm going to have to end up building an F1 rim out of 80/20 tubing, pvc, and an electrical wiring set-up taken from an old lamp that...

...OK, I'll wait.

EDIT:  Just as an anecdote, the price.  I had it third, but it wasn't that important to me.  Don't get me wrong, with the QR adapter it comes in at about $270 which seemed just right.  I don't think I would have paid too much more, but i do know that I really didn't stop and give it too much thought at the $270 level that I was getting it at.  

The functionality and appearance were much more important to me and I am very excited about my pre-order.
  • ...will I need the QR adapter. I dont plan on changing out this wheel. im a big face of the mclaren gt3 car.
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    ...will I need the QR adapter. I dont plan on changing out this wheel. im a big face of the mclaren gt3 car.
    The wheel works out of the box however if you want a stronger longer life then the Clubsport QR would be a good option. Especially if you are planning on keeping it long term. 
  • Natalie BNatalie B Member, Moderator, Betatester
    Perfect :) Just what I wanted :)
  • Thomas said the Clubsport Adapter is only needed for the new podium series Wheel. CSL and CSW also work with the normal "quick" release.
  • Thomas said the Clubsport Adapter is only needed for the new podium series Wheel. CSL and CSW also work with the normal "quick" release.
    Depends on what you do.
    I frequently change wheels on my CSW base, so I prefer including the adapter, thus no need for the "safety bolt" either.
  • Marcel Loots said: 
    Will the display be able to show km/h and/or gear number?
    Maybe someone of Fanatec can answer this question?
  • ...will I need the QR adapter. I dont plan on changing out this wheel. im a big face of the mclaren gt3 car.
    The wheel works out of the box however if you want a stronger longer life then the Clubsport QR would be a good option. Especially if you are planning on keeping it long term. 
    Please explain that to me. Is Fanatec selling wheels made of crappy materials?
    Please explain that to me. Is Fanatec selling wheels made of crappy materials?
    No, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the CSW QR is stronger and will keep a better connection on the long run. For the CSL you better use the safety bolt, not needed for the CSW QR.
    Hence the price difference.
    There is zero reason to think the simple QR won't last for a very long time with zero issues. It holds the wheel on the base just as securely as the Clubsport QR, just takes more time to swap a wheel.