Podium Wheel Bases - All the Info you need

Comments

• in the two versions, it seems only about power / torque and has nothing to do with a possible ps4 compatibility. Will the mentioned ps4 compatibility be done with a firmware update?
  • Some dimensions would also be good to know, height and depth especially.
  • I‘m a bit disappointed as well, I would like to order a DD2, the price seems reasonable from my perspective. But I need PS4 compatibility. You said that you think it does not matter if someone is racing on PC or console, so I hope that the DD2 comes with PS4 compatibility as well. @Thomas: any more information regarding DD2 and PS4?
    The DD1 is really powerful enough. It will be hard to make use of the DD2 potential. For us it is just a showcase of our capabilities so that we can demonstrate the advatages of our outrunner technology but 99% of users will be happy with the DD1. We just don't see the market potential on PlayStation to go even more high-end.
    But you don't have to be only playstation user. Also stronger motor has more "headroom" for heat etc right (if turned down to the same performance)?.

I also suggest  making a comprising table with D1Ps4 D1 D2 . Because even psychologically 1 and 2 is twice the difference (I know it is not).  

As for other people getting OSW I'm guessing is just that they have to wait less.
  • Looking at your website under Packaging Details the Podium is showing the following dimensions:

Size (L x W x H) : 51.00cm x 26.00cm x 28.00cm

Is that the size of the box it ships in? I have an obutto rig and that is over twice the length of my mounting plate, not to mention the height would block my monitor! Can you please verify the dimensions of the Podium itself?
  • The live stream showing off a new highly anticipated product was awful, such a low standard, and so lacking in enthusiasm, the auction idea again, such a lame and bad way to go, just first come first serve should be the way to do it, but then again I wouldn't buy from the first few batches anyway, there's always teething problems, and I think they have gone to high on the price as well, they missed the gap in the middle, could be costly on sales.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    in the two versions, it seems only about power / torque and has nothing to do with a possible ps4 compatibility. Will the mentioned ps4 compatibility be done with a firmware update?
    The PS4 racing wheel is an entire different SKU and comes with different electronics as there is a security chip included.
  • The PS4 racing wheel is an entire different SKU and comes with different electronics as there is a security chip included.
    Thomas, thank you. Will the first batch of DD1 wheel bases in the auction become PS compatible when used with the new Podium Formula rim, when it is released?
    Or will there be two versions of the DD1?
  • Can DD1 be used comfortably with https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel-stands-table-clamps/clubsport-table-clamp-v2-eu.html on a strong table or is it necessary to have a strong cockpit for this wheel?

• Lino CarreiraLino Carreira Member
    edited July 2018
    Don't quite understand the reasoning behind the auction, it may be a fun idea but itll be an hassle for the users, probably it will also mean a dead website by all the clicking, i still remember how hard it was to pre order de mclaren wheel, seems to me there will be a short supply and this was simply a way to keep it under control since if you simply planted a price on the DD1 and if that price was a delicious one you surely would have a lot of pre-orders to fulfill , ah well time is a good counselor, i suppose that December is also the date for DD1.. couldn't catch that from the video .. in the end of the day both wheels seem kick ass and if the usual quality standard ( bar a few hicups ) is met im sure it will be a success, specially with software developers behind it, people tend to forget how important the software is, not just how many NM it does and what not .... bit sad there isn't an option with a price for the DD1... ah well, looks nice nevertheless :)
  • The PS4 racing wheel is an entire different SKU and comes with different electronics as there is a security chip included.
    Thomas, thank you. Will the first batch of DD1 wheel bases in the auction become PS compatible when used with the new Podium Formula rim, when it is released?
    Two versions because he said that the chip is inside the base.
  • Dominik MeierDominik Meier Member
    edited July 2018

The PS4 racing wheel is an entire different SKU and comes with different electronics as there is a security chip included.
    The DD1 will NOT be PS4 compatible. It is a different wheel.

• Landon LoperLandon Loper Member
    edited July 2018
    So, more waiting....end of the year (at the earliest). No info about new Podium wheels (except the F1) or other peripherals...
    Going to to switch to the OSW path I'm afraid... (though I like the plug &play idea of the Podium series).
    May I ask why you think that OSW will serve you better?
    don't have to deal with an auction for one thing....and accuforce is $750 or $1250 with a rim even if it is less power... i can at least buy it.  As far as osw... still very poweful and still cheaper than $1500 dd2 that isn't until "december" (which we all know fanatec, it will be later lol)

I just hope it isn't console compat that made the dd2 $1500.  What i really think is the dd2 makes up for the loss you'll take on the dd1 crazy auction system...if there even is a loss because people will drive the auction up over $1k no problem. should have just sold it out right.
  • I think that this misses the mark from my perspective.  I know I don't have to buy it if I don't like the price or play in the auction if I am not up for that.  You can bet that the auction price will be above the market as there will be folks with more money than sense who will bid it up to near DD2 levels. Fanatec is now in the realm of the OSW and approaching Bodnar.  I don't expect Feel VR pricing with such a polished product, but there is a pretty sizable range to play in that falls between.  Maybe they can't sell the DD2 for $1,099 and the DD1 for $799, but that is where they slot and there should be Black Friday discounts on those prices with regularity.  I helped a friend (well, really watched him) set up his OSW and it's not that complicated.  Also, the fact that as games and tech changes, you can swap out the encoders which make them user serviceable/up-gradable.  Don't get me wrong, I like my Fanatec gear and I will look forward to the Podium series GT wheels (Porsche RSR replica please), but the pricing being offered does not provide the value proposition that makes me want to stay with Fanatec when upgrading to DD.
  • edited July 2018
     I want preorder DD2 , is it won't be compatible for PS4 even plug in podium racing wheel ? coz i really like DD2 presentation of the carbon look , it's so cool

The DD1 will NOT be PS4 compatible. It is a different wheel.

Ah there it is! Thank you. Can't wait to put in the order. Any word on when this will become available?
  • I liked the presentation, not a fan of american style slick sales pitches. 
    That said i'm confused as to how the bidding is going to work? If i want to buy a DD1 there will be multiple auctions? Sounds like a bit of a lottery to me & i don't trust my luck. 
  • For those of us who own both PS4 and Xbox One, if you put an Xbox One universal hub on the PS4 compatible DD1, can you use It on Xbox too?
  • Hi Thomas, I also would like to know actual size of the DD1 / DD2, I have a Playseat sensation Pro and I’m not sure it fits in depth. It’s also important to know where the holes are located :) Thanks
  • So, more waiting....end of the year (at the earliest). No info about new Podium wheels (except the F1) or other peripherals...
    Going to to switch to the OSW path I'm afraid... (though I like the plug &play idea of the Podium series).
    May I ask why you think that OSW will serve you better?
    Sure you can.
    It's not that I am convinced OSW will serve me better, in fact - as I wrote - I believe the plug and play of the Podium series would be more than welcome to me.
    But I am waiting for the Podium series to replace my V2 since the first rumours began.
    I even returned a fresh acquired OSW set for that reason.
    Then the DD base was announced for september (or the fourth quarter) 2017. 
    Then it got delayed again (I understand there were some issues, I get that).
    Then the big moment: a countdown teaser for July 13th...
    I was really hoping the new bases would be available by now, but as it seems it's going to take another 6 months (at the earliest) for the first ones to be shipped.
    Maybe I'm too old, maybe I ran out of patience too early, whatever. But I'm not going to wait another half year. And I can add, that atm 6 friends of mine share the same thoughts.

Coming back to the core of your question: I have no means of knowing if the Podium series are going to be on par with the actual OSW systems that have proven themselves over the years. Maybe they are, maybe they will be better, maybe they will be not so good, future will tell.

Anyway speaking as someone who loves his Fanatec gear, I wish you luck with this new product, really hope it's going to succeed.
    Not going to do what one of your employees suggested: buy a V2.5 in the meantime and then sell it when the Podium arrives (this because I fear for a (whole) while that my V2 is going to die on me and I don't want to be stuck with no base).
    So now I will have my two CSW wheels rebuild to fit OSW and hope the best...
    For those of us who own both PS4 and Xbox One, if you put an Xbox One universal hub on the PS4 compatible DD1, can you use It on Xbox too?
    Yes
  • edited July 2018
    Ordered @ 4:30pm!!! <-- New York Time :D
  • Only wen the Podium Racing Wheel - officially licensed for PS4™ EU is out i will buy Podium DD2 Base.. i hope it will not be that long
  • boki evansboki evans Member
    edited July 2018
    Thank you, Thomas, for being here in this thread for our questions.

I'm very enthusiastic about these DD's. They look great, and with the features and simplicity/compatibility, it seems like good value for the price.
    I'm already knee deep in Fanatec equipage ... I can hardly wait for my new Podium base for Festivus, this winter!!
  • Hi Thomas, any more information about the resolution of the wheelbase ?
  • Andrew HakeAndrew Hake Member
    edited July 2018
    For those of us who own both PS4 and Xbox One, if you put an Xbox One universal hub on the PS4 compatible DD1, can you use It on Xbox too?
    "Xbox One®: The compatibility can be upgraded with (optional) steering wheels like the ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for Xbox One or the Steering Wheel CSL P1 for Xbox One. Without any Xbox One® licensed steering wheel attached, the wheel base is NOT compatible to Xbox One®."

• Willy, I am with you.  I do not see the compelling case being made for the Podium over the OSW.  If Barry Roland puts together a compelling review, it may go a long  way towards salvaging this product, but as it stands it would appear that Fanatec has overplayed their hand.  The fact that it has been this delayed in getting to market could speak to some reliability issue(s). Certainly the product does not look different from the the form factor that appeared last September.  That makes me think performance - not supply chain - was/is the issue.  It's a safe bet that DD2 production has not begun in earnest yet.  Also, it sounds like a fair amount of engineering went into the contacts between the wheel electronics and the base allowing for "infinite rotation". I'm not sure why you need infinite rotation other than to claim an advantage over relatively cheap and user replacable USB cords - a solution employed in actual race cars btw...

The V2 (and now V2.5) were good value propositions  providing better fidelity and reliability over TM and LGT offerings for a couple hundred more along with the Fanatec universe of peripherals.  I will get some popcorn and watch as this unfolds.  
  • Hi Thomas, any more information about the resolution of the wheelbase ?
    The same question was asked in the iRacing forums. Here was Thomas' response:

"Hi Kevin 

The sole resolution is completely misleading and therefore we do not mention it. On the graph I have shown in the live stream you can see that the torque ripple is on par with best DD out there and this is what matters. It takes a good sensor but also good firmware and motor design. 

Yeah I was surprised how many people did not get my joke in the beginning. People take simracing way too serious image"
    Thank you, Thomas, for being here in this thread for our questions.

I'm very enthusiastic about these DD's. They look great, and with the features and simplicity/compatibility, it seems like good value for the price.
    I'm already knee deep in Fanatec equipage ... I can hardly wait for my new Podium base for Festivus, this winter!!
    Thank you!

• For those of us who own both PS4 and Xbox One, if you put an Xbox One universal hub on the PS4 compatible DD1, can you use It on Xbox too?
    Yes
    Awesome! Thank you so much!