Podium Wheel Bases - All the Info you need

Comments

• Andrew HakeAndrew Hake Member
    edited July 2018
    I may have missed this in the live stream or somewhere else, but is there any mention of a shipping date for the various models? July 30th was mentioned as when the DD1 auctions will go live, is this when the DD2 will ship? And I would imagine the Podium Racing Wheel for PS4 will ship sometime after that? Or are shipping dates still unknown at this point? 

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry missed it. Site shows December for DD2.
  • Maik ZeranskiMaik Zeranski Member
    edited July 2018
    How long will the DD2 be available for preorder?

Can we expect it to be available for pre-order in 1-2 month as well?

I was so lucky to pre-order the McLaren Rim and a short time after, there was no option to preorder it any more, iirc. Worried this might happen to the DD2 as well.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    How long will the DD2 be available for preorder?

Can we expect it to be available for pre-order in 1-2 month as well?

I was so lucky to pre-order the McLaren Rim and a short time after, there was no option to preorder it any more, iirc. Worried this might happen to the DD2 as well.
    There is no limitation but it will be shipped on a first come first serve basis.
  • The PS4 racing wheel is an entire different SKU and comes with different electronics as there is a security chip included.
    The DD1 will NOT be PS4 compatible. It is a different wheel.

Will the DD1-PS4 version be compatible with all the clubsport steering wheels on the PS4, or only with the included steering wheel? Thanks!
  • I could not find any information regarding the dimensions and mounting plates/layout/possibilities?!

How wide, deep and high is the case?
    Is it compatible with the CSW floor screw mounting layout - can it be mounted not from the side, but screwed to the bottom like a CSW v2?
  • Naoki ShimazuNaoki Shimazu Member
    edited July 2018
    Hi Thomas, is the DD2 price is right in the Fanatec Japan ?  I want to make a pre-order but i think only in Japan it's overpriced, just to give an exemple the
    CSW v2.5 
    US 499.95 = 56,200 jp Yen
    EU 549.95 = 72,400 jp Yen
    AU 829.90 = 69,500 jp Yen
    JP  64,900 = 579.00 US$ 

Podium DD2
    US 1,499.95 = 169,000 jp Yen
    EU 1,499.95 = 198,000 jp Yen
    AU 2,499.90 = 209,000 jp Yen
    JP  249,900  = 2,224.00 US$

it costs 724.00 US$ more, i'm sorry Thomas but, if the Podium DD2 costs around 3X of the CSW v2.5 in US, EU and AU  the right price for Japan should be 64,900 x 3 = 194,700  around 200,000 jp Yen or 1,780.00 US$

• Greg SnellGreg Snell Member
    edited July 2018
    I heard the livestream while driving so I’m not sure of some detail things. It would be great if sim Racing girl could post on YouTube video a high resolution, more focused showcase. Show me the key and how it works, the kill switch and how it mounts on my rig. Is this switch wired in or remote? Is there a brick? Show better view of mounting points, QR, menu operation. Other DD wheels us pc software to tune ffb, will these just use the tuning menu?
  • I don't see any details on what the resolution of the encoder is?
  • I’m in, preordered the DD2. I don’t have the time to mess with auctions. The DD2 might be overkill, but I figure I’ll have it turned down so low it will last forever!
  • wireless data and power, Integrated design . amazing work fanatec  :)>-
  • hi Thomas last auction Australia and Japan were excluded from bidding are we to expect the same again for the dd1?i really hope not .would like to see some equality and fairness this time please.thank you
  • I don't see any details on what the resolution of the encoder is?
    thomas said they ain't saying
  • Good news!

I just worry one thing that everything inside of body

I'm using CSL WB with F1 rim and I always feel the fan after few laps,it makes me afraid pre-order now

hope can get some info about it

• So, more waiting....end of the year (at the earliest). No info about new Podium wheels (except the F1) or other peripherals...
    Going to to switch to the OSW path I'm afraid... (though I like the plug &play idea of the Podium series).
    May I ask why you think that OSW will serve you better?
    Sure you can.
    It's not that I am convinced OSW will serve me better, in fact - as I wrote - I believe the plug and play of the Podium series would be more than welcome to me.
    But I am waiting for the Podium series to replace my V2 since the first rumours began.
    I even returned a fresh acquired OSW set for that reason.
    Then the DD base was announced for september (or the fourth quarter) 2017. 
    Then it got delayed again (I understand there were some issues, I get that).
    Then the big moment: a countdown teaser for July 13th...
    I was really hoping the new bases would be available by now, but as it seems it's going to take another 6 months (at the earliest) for the first ones to be shipped.
    Maybe I'm too old, maybe I ran out of patience too early, whatever. But I'm not going to wait another half year. And I can add, that atm 6 friends of mine share the same thoughts.

Coming back to the core of your question: I have no means of knowing if the Podium series are going to be on par with the actual OSW systems that have proven themselves over the years. Maybe they are, maybe they will be better, maybe they will be not so good, future will tell.

Anyway speaking as someone who loves his Fanatec gear, I wish you luck with this new product, really hope it's going to succeed.
    Not going to do what one of your employees suggested: buy a V2.5 in the meantime and then sell it when the Podium arrives (this because I fear for a (whole) while that my V2 is going to die on me and I don't want to be stuck with no base).
    So now I will have my two CSW wheels rebuild to fit OSW and hope the best...

I understand your position Willy, I sold of my V2.5 wheel base, my V1 wheel base and two of my wheels in preparation for a 7/13 release date only to realize, as we got closer to the date and no info released, that 7/13 was not the date this would go on sale. It was very disappointing listening to the news today realizing I would have another 6 months to wait. 

You make a great set of products Fanatec, I am sticking with you for now, but with every new release you keep shooting yourselves in the foot. Being the best on the market has little weight if your not available when needed.
  • Andrew HakeAndrew Hake Member
    edited July 2018
    I understand your position Willy, I sold of my V2.5 wheel base, my V1 wheel base and two of my wheels in preparation for a 7/13 release date only to realize, as we got closer to the date and no info released, that 7/13 was not the date this would go on sale. It was very disappointing listening to the news today realizing I would have another 6 months to wait. 

You make a great set of products Fanatec, I am sticking with you for now, but with every new release you keep shooting yourselves in the foot. Being the best on the market has little weight if your not available when needed.
    What if I told you it is you that is shooting themselves in the foot? You sold your wheel base and wheels not knowing if or when the new base would be released. Buy another v2.5 and then sell it at a more appropriate time?

Speculating about things you have no way of knowing about is not a very effective way to make decisions and nothing about that is Fanatec's fault. They have no obligation to spell out all the details of their business so you can plan ahead 6 months. What is it with the sim racing community and just constantly setting themselves up for disappointment? I truly do not get it.
  • Fanatec I would definitely recommend reposting the livestream on YouTube. The stream on Facebook was not very high resolution so wasn't really possible to see some of the details like the OLED display telemetry and things like that.
  • edited July 2018
    Hallo Thomas!

Danke für euren Livestream und die sehnlichst erwarteten DD-Wheel Infos.

Ich habe diesen in meinem deutschsprachigen Simracing + VR-Channel zusammengefasst und alle Infos aufbereitet.

Vielleicht könnt ihr mit meinem deutschssprachigen Review etwas anfangen:

Klarerweise würde mich ein Testsample eurer DD-Wheelbase brennend interessieren, um dieses mit meiner CSW V2 gegenzutesten.

LG und thumbs up für euren DD-Wheel Einstieg,
    A.M. aka Ron.
  • Very nice job Thomas. Those graphs showed me that during development Fanatec placed a high value on fidelity like acceleration and smoothness, not just a bunch of torque. It was worth the wait. Thanks a bunch.

Also, I understand the demand for the DD1 was so great, an auction was a solution for such a limited supply. Otherwise you would have had a thousand pre-orders you couldn't fill for like the next year.

I really like the big FANATEC lettering on the DD1.
  • Tom MajewskiTom Majewski Member
    edited July 2018
    Hi Thomas, Congratulations to you and the whole team for a great product. Has your team contacted developers regarding support for DD2 on xbox one (Forza 7, F1 2018 and others titles)? Thank you for your answer. Sorry for my English :) Best Tom Majewski
  • Hi Thomas. Will the base be sent out to any reviewers before December? I would really like to se a review by simracing garage/ Barry Rowland. Second question: in the specs for the dd2 multiple sims are listed but not iracing, will it not work with iracing? Anders
  • Are there any performance graphs for DD1?
  • So is it possible to mount the Podium DD Wheel from the Bottom to my rig? Because everytime i see Videos/Pictures of it, it is mounted from the side to the Fanatec Cockpit. 
  • Thomas can you give a release date of the podium ps4 wheel?
  • edited July 2018

So is it possible to mount the Podium DD Wheel from the Bottom to my rig? Because everytime i see Videos/Pictures of it, it is mounted from the side to the Fanatec Cockpit. 
    https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd2-usa.html
    --> Supports Fanatec 3-hole mounting pattern, front mounting and side mounting. Hard mounting to a cockpit is highly recommended due the high amount of torque.

So it should be possible to mount it from the bottom.
    For some reason the mounting option is not displayed on the german page.
  • Hi Thomas, if plug CSPv2 to DD base by RJ12 , does the resolution will down to 8 bits again ? Same as previous wheelbase ?
  • Thomas just some feedback, no need to reply.

I have saved enough to buy the DD2 now.  I am not unhappy with the V2.5, V3 and my only complaint with the McLaren is fingers tingle by the pit stop in 1 hr. races.

I will continue to save for my next setup and am looking forward to what else the Podium Series has to offer.  Maybe a more comfortable wheel with clutch and display and a two pedal set for more comfortable placement for left foot breakers (who also have a clutch wheel).

Without a third party review I will not commit funds.   I do have concerns for my hands.  Not everyone has the same risk reward priorities in any race, especially Sim Racing.   My nightmare scenario is having a turn one Kamakshi driving with a keyboard break my hands with a blind side crash.

Looking forward to receiving more information about the Podium Series.

Bill

• Ludwig SauerLudwig Sauer Member
    edited July 2018
    Is encoder resolution still something to worry about?
  • 寺内 学寺内 学 Member
    edited July 2018

• When will the PS4 version be available for pre-order?

Thank you Thomas!

• 寺内 学寺内 学 Member
    edited July 2018
    to Mr.Thomas
    Why Japan price 250000?
    please price down to 200000 Requests from Japanese