Pricing and auction system of Podium DD1 explained

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
edited July 2018 in Blog
After reading some comments on the live stream we thought it was a good idea to make this video in order to explain some points in more depth.

This video summarises the unique benefits of the Podium DD Wheel Bases, announces pricing and explains the auction system. I will even show a new steering wheel which is in development.

We also decided to publish these torque graphs so you can see how our outrunner servo motors behave over time. Even the most expensive DD motors de-rate when they heat up as it is a physical law that heat increases resistance and therefore reduces power. But please consider that it is not typical in simracing that the motor is operated in full stall for 5 minutes or more.
In our realistic life test scenarios we reach only 60°C motor temperature if operated with 100% force feedback. But not everybody really wants to drive at 100% ;)

Comments

• Thanks for clarification, Thomas. And all the updates are great to hear.

BTW ..... great looking steering wheel. Finally some magnetic shifters.
  • Thanks for the clarification and the more details. Can't wait to get a hand on a DD2.
    You know how to get people excited :-)
  • Wow! Absolutely amazing Thomas.
    $999 for DD1 with DD2 motor in it up to 20Nm Peak for pre-orders. Fantastic!
    Auctions cannot go over $950. Unbelievable.
    Thanks a bunch man.
  • It's sometimes essential for a company to listen to its clientele and I applaud you for doing that. My concerns only related to the auction system, so it's good to see that has been addressed. The €999 price for the DD1 appropriately fits into the market and should help direct drive wheels become more mass market. I have already expressed my interest in attending the community event. As an owner of a Bonder wheel I would be interested in drawing comparisons with the DD1/DD2 and providing feedback. The way I see it, more DD wheels on the market can only be a good thing for the sim racing community as a whole. 
  • Well, last Fridays presentation left me puzzled as what you were up to with your customers. This one probably is a lot more than everyone would have expected. Now I like the idea behind DD1 auction, I'll try my luck for sure. As for DD1 preorder, give future customers a chance to add waranty time for a reasonable price. 150€ for an additional year of warranty is what you get charged for a 40.000€ car here in Germany. Even for a diesel ;-) Anyway, keep up the spirit and the good work. Matthias
  • Great info and video, all we need is the pre order date and price for the PS4 Podium racing wheel since by next week both DD bases can be pre order.
  • Thanks for this infos.
    Sounds great, This DD's need a good Simrig. Mine is probably not for 20Nm or more.
    I hope the new steering wheels work also  with the CSW 2.5.too.

• Almost speechless ! Very very impressed. DD1 motor has bin upgraded to the DD2 motor at AND i get this tech at the sweet spot price just under 1000usd   ...Thomas im' not gay but you had me at hello with this news! Cheers!
  • Sven LeeSven Lee Member
    edited July 2018
    Friday stream I disliked very much. This news here sounds great. Will preorder DD1 für 1000 bucks. This seems the correct prize for the market.
  • Hi Thomas , when does Podium Racing Wheel PS4 will announce the price and pre-order date ? i want it so badly ...
  • Richard BurksRichard Burks Member
    edited July 2018
    Great video! Me too ^^ - I can’t wait to order a PS4 Podium DD1/wheel combo. Better start building a wheel rack to hang all those new podium rims too! Will there be a compatability mode to play older games on the podium series?
  • Hi Thomas what are the mounting options and will the DSD designed button boxses for the csw wheel work with the Podium

thanks 
  • Thank you very much for the update and also all of the information. So much better than the original. I almost ordered another brand of wheel, now I will stick with Fanatec and will be able to use all of the goodies I already have with a new DD wheel base. Take my money, please!!

• As the video you mentioned, DD1 and PRW will install DD2 motor on the “first batch” , is it mean it only offer for a period ? And it will back to smaller motor in the future?
  • Hi , how about an upgrade option for those of us that bought the 2.5 within the last month. Just thought I'd try. Haha
  • thats a great deal on the direct drive 1 with motor upgrade will it have same warranty upgrade for pre order as the dd2?
  • Thank you Thomas. That was a much better, clearer and more professionally presented description of your new Podium offerings. While it is nice to hear the news verbally straight from the boss, considerable value is added by a side by side written presentation of what was described in this new video. I look forward to the supporting printed material. I also thought that the addition of a familiar reviewer to your first presentation was an approach that offered value and should be considered for future communications. Great marketing communications is equally as valuable as product quality and performance in building brand value. Cheers
  • First of all. Really great news in your new video Thomas !!

Just one thing I would like to clarifiy with preorder on the DD1. You mention that it will include the DD2 motor for the first batch of preorders.

I did not quiete clear understand. Will this DD2 motor than be limited somehow to the figures of 20nm peak torque via the software/electronics of the DD1 or will it produce the normal peak torque (25nm) of the "normal" DD2 motor ?
  • edited July 2018
    First of all. Really great news in your new video Thomas !!

Just one thing I would like to clarifiy with preorder on the DD1. You mention that it will include the DD2 motor for the first batch of preorders.

I did not quiete clear understand. Will this DD2 motor than be limited somehow to the figures of 20nm peak torque via the software/electronics of the DD1 or will it produce the normal peak torque (25nm) of the "normal" DD2 motor ?
    Same exact motor of DD2 that now is 25Nm peak instead of 24Nm but on DD1 the maximum peak torque is limited by internal electronics to 20Nm maximum peak torque.

The DD1 "in the first batch" is the clear winner... considering that a downgraded motor can have more stable behaviours and in theory can't reach higher temperature.

DD1 is the best choice for price/performance without any doubt.
  • hi Thomas, Will the stronger DD2 engine be installed in the first shipments of the DD1-PS4 Base? Thanks in advance
  • Gökhan OgulGökhan Ogul Member
    edited July 2018
    thank you Thomas!! Great news, great video, great price for DD1 and a great new steering wheel!
    R.I.P. Simucube :)
  • hi Thomas, Will the stronger DD2 engine be installed in the first shipments of the DD1-PS4 Base? Thanks in advance
    Yes the DD2 motor will also be installed in the PS4 wheel base. He said that in the video (at time stamp 5:30)
  • Only thing to do now is wait for the bundle 
  • Dear Thomas, great to hear the price of the DD1 and the total package you get with the DD2, so if I understand it good there will be a 3 podium DD base that will be compatibel with ps4 and not the one's that are already for pre-order? Kindest regards Dennis.
  • Dear Thomas, great to hear the price of the DD1 and the total package you get with the DD2, so if I understand it good there will be a 3 podium DD base that will be compatibel with ps4 and not the one's that are already for pre-order? Kindest regards Dennis.
    No it's just the one, DD1 and DD2 are both PC/xb1 only.  

I think he was calling it the Podium Steering Wheel system that will be a formula style rim + ps4 compatible base.
  • how do i set the DD1 on a GT omega pro cockpit ? is there a support provided with the base like for the CSW series or optional that must be purchased separately ?
  • Great news all around Thomas!

I'm curious about the outrunner motor you mention. If you say yours is an outrunner, are the current DD wheels on the market using inrunner servo motors?

I am not a motor/electronics expert at all, but I'm curious about the acceleration aspects of your motor.The torque characteristics of an outrunner are clearly superior to an inrunner, but how does the rotational inertia compare? Wouldn't the increased diameter of the rotating component make the inertia higher thus leading to greater resistance to quick and accurate acceleration (and deceleration)? I know you must have selected the best characteristics of your motor and I will appreciate if you can help understand this acceleration question :)

I hope your DD1 and DD2 wheels are a success, both in terms of quality and bulletproof longterm reliability. I will definitely get the DD2 once these are proven :)

In closing, thank you for innovating further and I am really happy to see you take on the sincere advice of the community.
  • I am not a motor/electronics expert at all, but I'm curious about the acceleration aspects of your motor.The torque characteristics of an outrunner are clearly superior to an inrunner, but how does the rotational inertia compare? Wouldn't the increased diameter of the rotating component make the inertia higher thus leading to greater resistance to quick and accurate acceleration (and deceleration)? I know you must have selected the best characteristics of your motor and I will appreciate if you can help understand this acceleration question :)

Thomas showed a graph during the livestream that showed the Podium Acceleration compared with other direct drive wheels on the market. The "Hybrid Stepper" is likely the Accuforce and the "26Nm Servo" is likely the Bodnar.

• Luke ZemanLuke Zeman Member
    edited July 2018
    Thanks Gordon for that graph. Since the livestream is no longer up I could not refer back to it when asking my question. If the measurements by Fanatic are accurate then the Podium wheels should be special.

I also had a look at the Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Features Revealed video:

and the blowup of the motor (at the 19 second mark) seems to indicate the rotor is actually not that thick, so even though it is on the outside its mass should be low leading to low rotational inertia.

Can't wait for the reviews on these things! And I hope that Fanatec have solved the problems that seem to plague all their products so far in terms of reliability and wear rate of the parts. I REALLY hope there is nothing plastic inside, everything's high-quality metal with ball bearings used wherever necessary.
  • Since Amazon is being used for the auction, and you can login into the fanatec websites using amazon, i think, what i would interested in is if we can purchase through amazon for countries fanatec does not deliver to?