Pricing and auction system of Podium DD1 explained

Comments

• where is the auction site is it on amazon?cheers

• Unfortunately we will not be running the auction today. It has been postponed while we continue to test the systems. Please keep an eye on the blog for updates.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Hi Thomas , when does Podium Racing Wheel PS4 will announce the price and pre-order date ? i want it so badly ...
    Hi Iok, we've not revealed any information about the Podium Racing Wheel price or date at this stage. Please keep checking the blog and our social channels for updates.
    Hi Thomas what are the mounting options and will the DSD designed button boxses for the csw wheel work with the Podium

thanks 
    Hi Brian, the Podium wheel bases can be bottom mounted (using the same 3-hole pattern as the CSW), and side mounted. The DSD button boxes for the CSW are specific to the CSW base design, and would likely require an adapter to work. I recommend that you contact DSD for more information.
    As the video you mentioned, DD1 and PRW will install DD2 motor on the “first batch” , is it mean it only offer for a period ? And it will back to smaller motor in the future?
    Hi Iok, we will only move to a 'DD1 motor' when we are completely confident that it meets our intended specifications. We will make sure that the first batch of DD1 bases and the PRW all use the DD2 motor.
    thats a great deal on the direct drive 1 with motor upgrade will it have same warranty upgrade for pre order as the dd2?
    Hi Robert, the free 5 year warranty is only available for DD2 pre-orders.
    Dear Thomas, great to hear the price of the DD1 and the total package you get with the DD2, so if I understand it good there will be a 3 podium DD base that will be compatibel with ps4 and not the one's that are already for pre-order? Kindest regards Dennis.
    Hi Dennis, that's not correct, the standalone DD1 and DD2 wheel bases are not PS4 compatible. Only the Podium Racing Wheel (which is a combination of a special PS4-compatible DD1 wheel base and a new formula-type steering wheel) is compatible with the PS4.
    how do i set the DD1 on a GT omega pro cockpit ? is there a support provided with the base like for the CSW series or optional that must be purchased separately ?
    Hi Manuel, the Podium wheel bases do not come with an angled base, however we may decide to offer one as an accessory if there is enough demand. Having used that cockpit myself, I know that it is difficult to use the 3-hole CSW mounting pattern due to the positioning of the mounting plate supports. I think it would require some modification in order to make it work.
    Since Amazon is being used for the auction, and you can login into the fanatec websites using amazon, i think, what i would interested in is if we can purchase through amazon for countries fanatec does not deliver to?
    Hi Kgomotso, this is not available at the moment, but we are considering the possibility of selling the Podium Series via Amazon in the future.
    When the other Podium steering wheels will be announced? If I will make a DD pre-order I would like to make it all at once with some Podium wheels instead of ClubSport wheels.
    I hope they will be all announced before the DD availability date.
    Hi Ivan, I can't give you any info about that now, but we have some interesting events coming up... :)
    so i wonder when preorders go up for ps4 version? because you can just put the uni hub on the ps4 version of the dd1 and you get support for xbox. so support for all 3 with the ps4 version of the dd1 vs just xbox and pc with dd1

Hi Landon, we will be providing that information as soon as possible.
    Hello, The V2.5 base comes with a optional mounting adapter

"20° mounting adapter incl. screws (premounted)"

Will the DD1 have something similar?, or maybe we can use the same adapter

I´m much more confortable driving with the 20º angle

Thanks
    Hi Enrique, the Podium wheel bases do not come with an angle adapter, but we may offer one as an optional accessory if there is enough demand. It is technically possible to use the same adapter as the CSW because the 3-hole pattern is the same, but please note that the DD units are longer than the CSW in terms of depth, so the back of the unit will overhang beyond this bracket and might go 'below' the surface you are attempting to mount to.
    I can see a great improvement in this press release over the previous one, I am missing in it few technical details, that were in facebook stream plus few other that partially found on the website. As I am pointing at a complete bundle not available yet podium racing wheel is the option for me. It will be Playstation compatible but in a video, there was no information about PC compatibility - it sounds like PS4 only. If it is PC compatible what will happen when I or one of my children plug it to XBOX? Next, I have a few questions about the torque limiter key. Information about it disappeared from a press release. Everyone that has kids knew about this problem - in case of lost will it be available to buy separately? Is there any other way to overcome a missing key problem, like setting a torque limit at podium software? I watched Shaun's Cole review of OSW wheel where he showed that 20% of torque (in 30Nm motor means 6Nm) is a reasonable top limit of use - that's for adults. Parent way of view is different - is the key limiter can be set to a different value? Can it be programmed in software to a value of about 1-1.5 Nm? If there will be available spare keys will they can be programmed to separate values, i.e. like in a Ford car - one for me and one for my sons? How robust are previous steering rigs when used with DD motors? Over the internet, I found many pictures of damaged McLaren GT3 wheels (broken pins). What will happen to them when connected to DD wheel? Will you plan to make a strengthed revision of McLaren GT3 rim or any other bulletproof GT3 like steering wheel (I understand that licencing has limitations)?

P.S. You should make an accessory, an expansion cable that allows plugging a torque limiter key from the front. Nice if it will be a functional ignition lock. :)

P.P.S. Maybe you should do an additional video where you explain more technical details about DD wheels, but please let someone else do the production cut of material. In the middle of the press release camera is switched like a crazy every 1-2 seconds, it was very hard to focus on details.
    Hi Teodor, thanks for your questions and feedback. Unfortunately I can't offer more information about the Torque Key at this stage. The Podium DDs deliver extremely high performance and are designed for adults. In addition to the Torque Key, the strength of the force feedback can be adjusted in our software, in the sim software, and in the Tuning Menu on the wheel/wheel base itself. In any case, I would strongly recommend that these units are used with adult supervision.

Has nothing to do with the post but, I've been trying to get ahold of costumer service regarding my order where I am being charged incorrectly. I emailed I called and left several messages nobody will get back to me. I bought a shifter, hand brake and two USB dongles. Paid for 2 day shipping but am getting three day shipping instead. That's fine charge me 3 day not 2. This is fraud I want to talk to somebody to straighten this out but can't. Please do not make me have to claim fraud to my credit card. Yo
    Hi James, I believe we had some communication via Facebook. I hope that you were able to contact support.

It looks like all pre-orders will get the better motor. At least everything until the auctions are finished.
    Hi Thomas, when do the auctions finish? I really want to pre-order and buy the Podium Racing Wheel, even now if that was possible.
    But I don't want to miss on the better motor, should i give up on the Podium Racing Wheel and pre-order DD1 instead?

Podium Racing Wheel

Podium Racing Wheel

Podium Racing Wheel

It looks like all pre-orders will get the better motor. At least everything until the auctions are finished.
    Thomas,

Does that also apply to the PS4 wheel base?

Thank you.
    Hi guys, we will ensure that the first batch of the Podium Racing Wheel will be fitted with the DD2 motor.
    Daid Marx said:
    Also, it may have been asked and answered, but is the DD wheel front mountable and does it have the same front bolt pattern as the CSW? Also, looking at the spindle it seems to have some mechanicals and collars, will there be an option to extend the steering column to allow for the screen to sit lower relative to the wheel?
    Hi Daid, we do not recommend that you front-mount the Podium wheel bases. They have the same screw holes as the CSW, but just like the CSW, these are only intended for Fanatec accessories, namely the Static Shifters. (We also do not recommend front-mounting the CSW, but we are aware that some people are doing it. But the Podium wheel bases are much heavier and much more powerful than the CSW, and the base is longer (in depth), so this also puts extra strain on front mounts.)

As for your second question, we will offer a column extension option at a later date.
    Maybe I miss this on many of the threads on here but what's the dimension of the actual unit? The specs page only show box dimension. I need to make sure this will fit my rig before placing an order. Please provide actual unit dimension, think this is a silly omission...

Hi Herman, these are the dimensions:

Width:175mm
    Height: 154mm
    Length From Back to QR: 330mm
    Length From Back to Front: 239mm

I will ensure that the product pages will be updated with this information.
    Hello,

I'm french and didn't understand all that Thomas said. Maybe I'm wrong but what I understood is that the DD1's motor did not meet their high expectations. That's why they decided to upgrade the first batches with the DD2's motor. So, does that mean that after the first batches, the DD1 will come with a motor that is not as good as expected ? 
    Hi Marc, that's not correct. We will only move to a different motor once we are happy that it meets or exceeds the intended specs. If we are not satisfied, the DD1 will continue to use the DD2 motor.
    Dear Thomas can you tell us wen the podium ps4 wheel be there for pre-order?
    Hi Dennis, unfortunately we can't provide this information right now. Please stay tuned!
    Hi All, Guys, one of you know what ( CAN ) connector is on the Podium wheel base ? Thank you .
    Hi Danilo, 'CAN' refers to the Controller Area Network protocol that is standard across the automotive industry.
    Will those of us who preordered the DD2 before the announcement, also benefit from the free 5 year warranty? ...my invoice still says "3 years". Thanks
    Hi Kieron, yes, you will get the 5 year warranty. The final invoice will be created when we dispatch.
  • I preordered the DD1 wheelbase. Could I receive a paper for the mounting holes. Or is it in the retail box? Thanks for the answer.
  • Thomas myself and I think many others would buy a 20 degree mount for the Podium series. I have the DD1 on pre-order. Thanks and much love from Canada!
  • Milan KovarikMilan Kovarik Member
    edited July 2018
    Hi,

wanna buy DD1 but do not own any racing cockpit yet, therefore a question : any "table-clamp" for DD planned? Pls, don´t kill me, I know it´ s supposed to be fixed in the cockpit, but just hoping for some table solution as well ... :-)

If not, I´ll go for CSW 2.5 package with table clamp then (btw. would you preffer BMW GT2  or Porsche 918 RSR rim?). I love Porsche design but not the "leather" as "alcantara" is my favourite.

Thanks for any info in advance & enjoy summer days!

Mike78
    I preordered the DD1 wheelbase. Could I receive a paper for the mounting holes. Or is it in the retail box? Thanks for the answer.
    Hi Sánta, we don't usually supply physical drilling templates. They will available as a PDF in the 'downloads' section of the product page, but this hasn't been updated yet.
    Lee Britt said:
    Thomas myself and I think many others would buy a 20 degree mount for the Podium series. I have the DD1 on pre-order. Thanks and much love from Canada!
    Thanks for the feedback Lee.
    Hi,

wanna buy DD1 but do not own any racing cockpit yet, therefore a question : any "table-clamp" for DD planned? Pls, don´t kill me, I know it´ s supposed to be fixed in the cockpit, but just hoping for some table solution as well ... :-)

If not, I´ll go for CSW 2.5 package with table clamp then (btw. would you preffer BMW GT2  or Porsche 918 RSR rim?). I love Porsche design but not the "leather" as "alcantara" is my favourite.

Mike78
    Hi Milan (Mike?), the bottom mount 3-hole pattern is the same as the ClubSport wheel base, therefore the current ClubSport table clamp does work with the Podium wheel bases too. However I generally would not recommend that you go this route if you expect to use the DD1 at very high strength. You will also need a really solid table! :)
  • edited July 2018
    Thanks for the useful info Dominic.

Ouch - it wont fit on my Next Level Racing F1GT....

I thought using the mount from the CSW v2.5 would work but it definitely will not fit without some additional solution to raise the CSW mount bracket or a change in the wheel plate drill holes... (nope Im not drilling - I will get it wrong - I suck at DIY...)....

At least I have some time to try to figure it out before I have to cancel my preorder :(
  • I preordered the DD1 wheelbase. Could I receive a paper for the mounting holes. Or is it in the retail box? Thanks for the answer.
    Hi Sánta, we don't usually supply physical drilling templates. They will available as a PDF in the 'downloads' section of the product page, but this hasn't been updated yet.
    Lee Britt said:
    Thomas myself and I think many others would buy a 20 degree mount for the Podium series. I have the DD1 on pre-order. Thanks and much love from Canada!
    Thanks for the feedback Lee.
    Hi,

Mike78
    Hi Milan (Mike?), the bottom mount 3-hole pattern is the same as the ClubSport wheel base, therefore the current ClubSport table clamp does work with the Podium wheel bases too. However I generally would not recommend that you go this route if you expect to use the DD1 at very high strength. You will also need a really solid table! :)
    Dominic, thx a lot for your info and recommendation, appreciated!

This means I go for CSW v2.5, at least till the moment I´m ready with cockpit to upgrade to your DDs (my current table is crap). :)
    Thanks again (& yes, my name is Milan, just used to communicate via "Mike78" at Steam etc., sorry for potential confusion, just a habit).
  • ... btw. if ordering the whole CSW v2.5 package (base, rim, pedals, table clamp) tomorrow, what is the experience with the delivery time to Czech Republic via UPS/DHL?

Considering the purchase will be finished on Thursday, the delivery can be expected mostlikely during next week, right?
    Or Saturday´s delivery is realistic?

Sorry not to be patient, I´m realy looking forward to your product guys!
    Thanks for info in advance. Milan
  • Hi Fanatec team. Is it possible to know wen would be starting the bidding for the DD1?. Thank’s
  • Thanks for the useful info Dominic.

I thought using the mount from the CSW v2.5 would work but it definitely will not fit without some additional solution to raise the CSW mount bracket or a change in the wheel plate drill holes... (nope Im not drilling - I will get it wrong - I suck at DIY...)....

At least I have some time to try to figure it out before I have to cancel my preorder :(

Rex - why do you think it won't fit on a Next Level F1 GT? 

I have the F1 GT and intend to get the DDR 1 or DD2. What have you found out that has you worried it won't fit? It uses the same mounting holes as CSW so as far as I can tell will fit perfectly.

Or if anyone else knows what he's talking about let me know please, the F1 GT is quite popular so I'd love to know now if there's an issue.
  • Hi Dominic My Question regarding the Podium base mounting options...will it ship with the side mount hardware that's in the video or is that a mounting option specific to the Rensport cockpit??? if not what mounting hardware will the base ship with if any.

I have a Rseat N1 and I'm pretty sure from your post above with wheel base dimensions that i will have no problem with DD2 wheel base fitment to the N1 rig... I'm just contemplating will i be able to get the same angle that i use with My v2.5 that is also mounted with the 3 hole mounting option... from the height measurement its the same height as the CSW v2.5 / CSW v2 and should line up perfect as long as the wheel shaft is centered between top and bottom. 
  • edited August 2018
    Hi Thomas,

just a suggestion: Big announcements like the auction being postponed by 2 weeks could be made more clear. How about a "parallel post" - one blog entry for just announcements by Thomas/Fanatec (official) without comments and another blog entry with comments. That way one does not need to go through a lot of comments and maybe even miss an important announcement by Fanatec. Thank you for considering!

EDIT: Just saw your updates to the Auction System of DD1 post. Perfect. Please disregard this post.
  • Thanks for the useful info Dominic.

Rex - why do you think it won't fit on a Next Level F1 GT? 

I have the F1 GT and intend to get the DDR 1 or DD2. What have you found out that has you worried it won't fit? It uses the same mounting holes as CSW so as far as I can tell will fit perfectly.

Or if anyone else knows what he's talking about let me know please, the F1 GT is quite popular so I'd love to know now if there's an issue.
    I had an NLR F1/GT cockpit and cannot see any issues mounting it via the 3 base mounting points, though in saying that from my experience I would have big doubts about it being able to handle the torque. I ended up going to an 8020 rig as even with modifications I found my CSW v2.5 would shake it violently when turned up. I can only imagine what a DD1 or DD2 with the extra weight and forces would do to it over time.
  • Thanks Dominic, a very useful information

It would be great  to have the 20º adapter option
  • I also would like to have the 20º adapter.
  • I think 20° support must be like an option we can select at purchase.
  • Why are those drilling templates on the download pages just empty zip files?
  • Why are those drilling templates on the download pages just empty zip files?
    I get them correctly diplayed (as PDF files):
  • Thank you Thomas,

Can't wait to start bidding! :D
  • I also neeed a 20degre angle adapter to go with my DD1 pre order. Please make it avaiable !!!!
  • Dominic thank you so much for answering all these questions!
  • hola buenas .se sabe para cuando sera la presentacion de la dd1 para ps4 , si sera cuestion de semanas o meses .gracias 
  • thanks for the answer , i also need an optional angle adapter for the Podium racing wheel PS4.
    and can you give us a list of the racing cockpits compatible with the mounting holes of the DD1/DD2 ?
  • I wonder if my Raceroom Gameseat could handle the DD1 first generation :)
    Anyone an idea?
  • thanks for the answer , i also need an optional angle adapter for the Podium racing wheel PS4.
    and can you give us a list of the racing cockpits compatible with the mounting holes of the DD1/DD2 ?
    Side mounting is new, so I don't think any existing cockpits can handle that.

Base mounting is the standard 3 hole pattern of existing CSL/CSW
  • edited August 2018

Hi Ben - see photo in link.   The DD1/2 are much longer than the CSW v2.5.

In order to attach all 3 screws we need the wedged shaped wheel mount which has the 3 screws into the wheel base and 4 screws into the wheel plate from the F1GT.

The problem is with the wedge the rear of the DD will not clear the rear of the wedged shape wheel plate it sits on as it does with the CSW v2.5 and they do not recommend only the 2 front screws (if you remove the wedge there is no 3rd screw hole on the F1GT wheel plate.

• edited August 2018
    Seriously guys, when you have money for a DD you can buy what you need to screw it with a DIY system on your rig. Fanatec know we need a 20° support, dont be affraid, they are going to do it for us I m sure, Thomas and Dominic are aware about ours requests