Auction System of DD1 - UPDATE 4

Comments

• It would be good if the site was stable 404 errors after number 10

• is the auction over?
  • After continual 404 errors there is now no auction button!!!
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    is the auction over?
    Hi Robert, the auction is over for today. We have some technical gremlins to resolve. Apologies for the inconvenience!
  • cheers dom
  • I think so... No more Auction button on DD1 page. Lucky those two geezers who got for $1!! :)
  • edited August 2018
    Well looks like the testing of the Auction system didn't go well. 404 errors. Bids not registering. Last time I could get the page to refresh, 3 bases ended at $1 timed out.  

edit
    Well managed to log back in and win a bid. 
  • Oh boy. What a let down. Did not even get to see the live auction page. Button was there...404 errors... then gone.

• It is fair to say that the Australian auction left the web server wanting. Auctions were closing when it said that they had a minute left. One auction closed at $411 - the site even said that I had the leading bid. Someone else won the auction though. *shrug*

I think that the website and the auction system testing never planned for the fact that there could be 10 of us all pressing the "Place Bid" button at the same time. 

Interestingly, there were 11 auctions in total. Across those 11 auctions, I placed multiple bids and got the message in green text that said I was leading, including on the $411 auction when it closed. The reality is that I got emailed every time I was outbid.
    Across all 11 auctions, I have received a grand total of 3 emails to say that I have been outbid - a disproportionately small amount of email notifications compared to the number of green successful bid messages that were displayed on the auction page.

If the website couldn't hold up for the Australian auctions, it holds little hope for the bigger markets.The lag was so huge, it was like I was connected via a fax machine which pre-dates dial-up in terms of speed and quality.

I do really like the product, but the service isn't good as tonight's auction proved - holding a leading bid that didn't win and two auctions selling for $1 reserves due to the website crashing completely. There's probably 4 very happy customers out of the auction as Auction 6 went for $651.

• This was black Friday all over again.
    Couldn't log in, when I did log the screen froze.
    Not good this day and age. 
    Thank you for your feedback everyone. We are looking into the problems. Apologies for the inconvenience!
  • The auctions resumed, for anyone still interested.
  • And just when I posted that, back to 404's. 
  • how do we know when the auction has closed, not just crashed.....?

• edited August 2018
    Don't will be easier and fairer for everyone a raffle of 100 discounts codes of 30-40% for everyone really insterested in DD1?

I'm sure that with the actual auction system there're professionals of biding with the only interest of reselling (others obviously don't, but they have to compite with them). Probably some of the winners are users registered last days, that never purchased a Fanatec product (and never will) and don't know what is a DDW.

I know that Thomas intentions are good, but please, protect your coustomers and legitime simracers who are whom you live from.
  • Crashed on unit 17 over 10 minutes ago, still unable to get back into the auction. 

Noticed the link from the DD1 page disappeared during the auction. Also had similar issues to Nathan Addis, the site is very poor at registering bids.
  • Fanatec are you able to confirm if the auctions are finished please?
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    Like the discount codes idea.
    Fanatec are you able to confirm if the auctions are finished please?
    Yes, they are closed for today.
  • thank you

very hard to get a bid in.....
  • Thanks for the Update 3 information. Can't wait for it to go on auction here in the USA.

Regards,

David H
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    So this was a rough ride and left me with mixed feelings. On one hand a several people made a good deal and won the auction below the RRP. Everybody had a fair chance to bid on the first auctions.

But later on we got sever problems again. It looks like this was not a server issue but something in the code of the auction system. 

We made this first auction to learn and to improve and will put more products on auction in all regions after we improved the system.
  • So this was a rough ride and left me with mixed feelings. On one hand a several people made a good deal and won the auction below the RRP. Everybody had a fair chance to bid on the first auctions.

But later on we got sever problems again. It looks like this was not a server issue but something in the code of the auction system. 

We made this first auction to learn and to improve and will put more products on auction in all regions after we improved the system.
    Hey Thomas, I know this is off topic, but there's not a page for my inquiry. On the next iteration of Podium/CSW pedals can we get a set that allows independent mounting of each pedal, with the ability to remove the clutch out of the equation if desired?
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Yes, that will be possible
  • Nice can't wait.
  • So this was a rough ride and left me with mixed feelings. On one hand a several people made a good deal and won the auction below the RRP. Everybody had a fair chance to bid on the first auctions.

I know you got to test somewhere and us Aussies may have a small market compared to the rest of the larger countries but geez we get the short end of the stick. Higher prices than the states and a unfair advantage against the bigger markets when we become the test bunny. How about once you sort this mess out we get a second go after everyone else to make up for being guinea pigs.
  • Manuel RinconManuel Rincon Member
    edited August 2018
    Thomas thanks for doing the auctions. I am glad Fanatec tried the auctions out in Australia first. Work on the code and do Japan next. Hopefully EU and US get their shot after bugs all worked out.
  • Gordon, that is a little harsh, are you insinuating that we in Australia aren't worthy of a fully functioning auction system and that we are somewhat not as imortant as other markets? That is what it sounds like.
  • Manuel RinconManuel Rincon Member
    edited August 2018
    Here are the apparent winning bids.