Pricing and auction system of Podium DD1 explained

Comments

• Seriously guys, when you have money for a DD you can buy what you need to screw it with a DIY system on your rig. Fanatec know we need a 20° support, dont be affraid, they are going to do it for us I m sure, Thomas and Dominic are aware about ours requests
    I am raising the issue that we need something to make it work whilst there is still time for these things to be considered and hopefully made available by the time the goodies get released..    The more people that raise the issue the higher likelyhood that something is done

As I keep saying btw - my issue isnt the angle but the ability to fix it to the F1GT wheel mount - which only has 2 of the 3 screws.   The current wedge shaped support will not work in my opinion as the DD needs to overhang the wheel mount and with the current wedge that does not appear to be possible - see picture.

Im also investigating via Next Level Racing in case they are able to amend the wheel mount to have the same 3 screw holes as the DD.  If they come back with something I will update here (would be great if Fanatec and Next Level Racing were talking though).

that would not resolve the issue for those wanting an angle but it will at least get the DD onto the F1GT on a level ground.

• Hi Ben - see photo in link.   The DD1/2 are much longer than the CSW v2.5.

In order to attach all 3 screws we need the wedged shaped wheel mount which has the 3 screws into the wheel base and 4 screws into the wheel plate from the F1GT.

The problem is with the wedge the rear of the DD will not clear the rear of the wedged shape wheel plate it sits on as it does with the CSW v2.5 and they do not recommend only the 2 front screws (if you remove the wedge there is no 3rd screw hole on the F1GT wheel plate.

Thanks Rex. Understood. I'm not using the angle adaptor so won't have a problem. 

• Hi Ben - see photo in link.   The DD1/2 are much longer than the CSW v2.5.

In order to attach all 3 screws we need the wedged shaped wheel mount which has the 3 screws into the wheel base and 4 screws into the wheel plate from the F1GT.

The problem is with the wedge the rear of the DD will not clear the rear of the wedged shape wheel plate it sits on as it does with the CSW v2.5 and they do not recommend only the 2 front screws (if you remove the wedge there is no 3rd screw hole on the F1GT wheel plate.

Thanks Rex. Understood. I'm not using the angle adaptor so won't have a problem. 
    Ahh ok - would you mind sharing how you have the CSW attached to the wheel plate please ?

Did you drill another hole or are you only using 2 screws or else ?

• Ahh ok - would you mind sharing how you have the CSW attached to the wheel plate please ?

I'm using two screws. Works perfectly well. I check the screws occasionally, still tight, there's no movement, all rock solid.

• Ahh ok - would you mind sharing how you have the CSW attached to the wheel plate please ?

I'm using two screws. Works perfectly well. I check the screws occasionally, still tight, there's no movement, all rock solid.

Gotcha - thanks !

its not recommended - especially with the extra torque from the DD but I guess it all depends on how much you crank it up.

• Gotcha - thanks !

its not recommended - especially with the extra torque from the DD but I guess it all depends on how much you crank it up.

Yeah that's the big factor. I almost never have the 2.5 at max, maybe sometimes when I use the BMW rim to give it some needed oomph but I have the McLaren rim now and it's damn perfect so doubt I'll ever use any other rim again, including the Formula. So with that in most sims I have it at about 90 (out of 120 Force) otherwise it just feels like a stiff spring effect, which I don't really like. All the effects and physics nuances come though perfectly well at that strength, though it depends on the sim. AC needs it at max and that's probably the main reason I'm considering the DD, I feel there's more to be had in AC that the 2.5 can't reach.

Very occasionally it'll go mental and do the death shakes. Some cars in iRacing like to shake it the second I enter the car in the pits, or the speed wobbles in AC, but I just hold tight and it goes away - you just can't let it get out of control. The wheel frame on the F1 GT does shake around pretty badly when that happens but what it might be lacking a little in rigidity is more than made up for with sheer thick steel fat bolt strength.

So I expect the DD1 will be about the same, I'll have it perhaps a little stronger to get more of the fidelity I expect from it, but I expect the 2x screws will hold it. I always felt the CSW mounting screws were too short but they seem to do the job. I'm hoping the DD will ship with longer and thicker screws, though.
  • Hi, I have a question :)

I want to buy the DD1. Should I wait for the auction to buy it a little cheaper?

Thanks a lot
  • Hi, I have a question :)

I want to buy the DD1. Should I wait for the auction to buy it a little cheaper?

Thanks a lot
    Wait if you are Lucky, but a lot of people are waiting too ;)
  • Thomas, will there be a wheelbase for the PS4 in the Clubsport category in the near future? It would be great if you had some ps4 compatibility even in the higher middle class to cover all platforms in every class.
  • Hi Thomas, any schedule about PRW preorder date ?
  • edited August 2018
    hello good. is known for when will be the presentation of dd1 for ps4, if it will be a matter of weeks or months. Thanks
  • C NC N Member
    edited August 2018
    Few questions, as Im considering buying and need few things clarified...
    1 - Is the preorder priced a reduced priced in comparison to launch price, or it will stay the same?
    2 - The DD1 will have the DD2 motor - are all customers ordering a preorder guaranteed that?  For example - if I order now, am I guaranteed to get it, or is there a possibility that you'll send me something else on the launch?
    3 - will the DD1 with DD2 motor have full support and driver updates for a lifetime?
    4 - when you order a bundle of pedals, base, wheel and shifter, you offer a discount on it. Why is there no such bundle for DD1 and DD2? II want to order w full system, as this is where Fanatec beats the competition, but you dont seem to have it... Why not, and do you plan to do such a bundle before the launch, so people can get it with the DD? If not, maybe a discount code [I wouldnt mind getting one myself - I would preorder a DD bundle same day then]
    5 - When will the auctions start now that the delay seems to build the suspense like Hitchcock? ;]

THANKS!
    5 - When will the auctions start now that the delay seems to build the suspense like Hitchcock? ;]

But with Hitchcock people die...  :-B
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

1 - Is the preorder priced a reduced priced in comparison to launch price, or it will stay the same?
    2 - The DD1 will have the DD2 motor - are all customers ordering a preorder guaranteed that?  For example - if I order now, am I guaranteed to get it, or is there a possibility that you'll send me something else on the launch?
    3 - will the DD1 with DD2 motor have full support and driver updates for a lifetime?
    4 - when you order a bundle of pedals, base, wheel and shifter, you offer a discount on it. Why is there no such bundle for DD1 and DD2? II want to order w full system, as this is where Fanatec beats the competition, but you dont seem to have it... Why not, and do you plan to do such a bundle before the launch, so people can get it with the DD? If not, maybe a discount code [I wouldnt mind getting one myself - I would preorder a DD bundle same day then]

THANKS!
    Hi Cezary,

Here's some answers for you:

1. The launch price will stay the same.
    2. We have communicated that the 'first batches' of the DD1 will contain the DD2 motor. If you pre-order the DD1 at this stage, it will have the DD2 motor. It is possible that all the DD1 pre-orders will have the DD2 motor (and indeed beyond the pre-order stage), but there are some dependencies related to this.
    3. Yes!
    4. Unfortunately I can't provide information about DD bundles at this stage.
    5. After yesterday's auction didn't run as smoothly as intended, we are not confirming the future auction dates until we have worked through the bugs.
  • This is a weird one. I have an OSW with a couple of wheels will my wheels work with the dd1 If i buy the Fanatec QR and fit it to my wheels. I understand that i will still have to use my USB lead seperatly. Its just i've grown to like my current wheel a lot and the fact i use VR it means all the buttons are where i Know them. 
  • On the picture you can see the toughest test scenario for the new Fanatec DD2 Base, yesterday at Community - Event. The outrunner servo motor had to spin a 40kg suckling pig for several hours. There was no clipping or cogging till the skin was perfectly crispy. Buttersmooth spinnig in a very hot scenario, approx.100°C.
     Mr. Thomas Jackermeier is such a funny freak, unbelievable.          
    LOL as i discoverd it. This was TJ special.

Cheers,
    Tom
  • edited August 2018
    Since Amazon is being used for the auction, and you can login into the fanatec websites using amazon, i think, what i would interested in is if we can purchase through amazon for countries fanatec does not deliver to?
    Great idea, pal! That would be really cool! As an option Deutsch www.ComputerUniverse.net would be interesting too ;-)
  • C NC N Member
    edited August 2018

THANKS!
    Hi Cezary,

2. We have communicated that the 'first batches' of the DD1 will contain the DD2 motor. If you pre-order the DD1 at this stage, it will have the DD2 motor. It is possible that all the DD1 pre-orders will have the DD2 motor (and indeed beyond the pre-order stage), but there are some dependencies related to this.
    3. Yes!
    5. After yesterday's auction didn't run as smoothly as intended, we are not confirming the future auction dates until we have worked through the bugs.
    All right, I just preordered one then - holding you up to your word, as the only reason I would ever do a somewhat risky by definition preorder is the better hardware, so you got me there... :)
    Since there's no rims available for the new system, can I count on a single delivery charge, when I'll add the peripherals to my preorder later?
    This is a weird one. I have an OSW with a couple of wheels will my wheels work with the dd1 If i buy the Fanatec QR and fit it to my wheels. I understand that i will still have to use my USB lead seperatly. Its just i've grown to like my current wheel a lot and the fact i use VR it means all the buttons are where i Know them. 
    If you have a wheel rim that uses the standard 6-hole mounting pattern, then you could add this to the existing ClubSport Universal Hub to attach to the DD1. We also plan offer some Podium Series equipment related to the Quick Release system that could also be suitable for your needs. More info about this is coming soon.

THANKS!
    Hi Cezary,

3. Yes!
    All right, I just preordered one then - holding you up to your word, as the only reason I would ever do a somewhat risky by definition preorder is the better hardware, so you got me there... :)
    Since there's no rims available for the new system, can I count on a single delivery charge, when I'll add the peripherals to my preorder later?
    Adding items that could affect the shipping process is something I recommend you discuss with our sales team. They can be reached via the email [email protected].
  • Are there any news about DD-base for ps4?

Are there any news about DD-base for ps4?
    Not at the moment. When the time comes, the announcement will be made across our social channels.
  • To reiterate the obvious issues, which are also my concerns:

1. I want to buy the DD1 - but want to try and save $ on this expensive kit via the auction - but there's no info or timeline for the auction.

2. I want my DD1 with the DD2 motor - but there's been no specific info about how long DD1 orders will guarantee the DD2 motor.

So - I wait to hear about the next auction - and with growing concern that if I don't order soon one way or another I won't get the DD2 motor version.

And - it would not surprise me if Fanatec suddenly announced it was abandoning the auction system, and, that all new DD1 orders won't get the DD2 motor because that 'first batch' run has now been filled. So catch 22. Order now via the site and pay full price and miss out on a potential auction discount, but get the DD2 motor. Or wait until there's news about the auction, hoping the DD2 motor version is still what we get.

Meanwhile weeks pass with no info. Anxiety grows. Faith drops further.

I'm sure I'm not the only one holding out for these reasons. 

Fanatec, please, INFORMATION. Details. Dates. 
  • To reiterate the obvious issues, which are also my concerns:

1. I want to buy the DD1 - but want to try and save $ on this expensive kit via the auction - but there's no info or timeline for the auction.

2. I want my DD1 with the DD2 motor - but there's been no specific info about how long DD1 orders will guarantee the DD2 motor.

So - I wait to hear about the next auction - and with growing concern that if I don't order soon one way or another I won't get the DD2 motor version.

And - it would not surprise me if Fanatec suddenly announced it was abandoning the auction system, and, that all new DD1 orders won't get the DD2 motor because that 'first batch' run has now been filled. So catch 22. Order now via the site and pay full price and miss out on a potential auction discount, but get the DD2 motor. Or wait until there's news about the auction, hoping the DD2 motor version is still what we get.

I hear where you are coming from and for that very reason I decided to go ahead and order the DD1. For me its critical that I get it with the DD2 motor even if I have to pay a bit more than I would via the auction (if I won) or if buying a bundle when/if they come out (as I still need to get a wheel).   
    To reiterate the obvious issues, which are also my concerns:

The recent responses I've made in this thread remain accurate to the current status. The auctions are still planned to go ahead, but I have no further information to offer regarding dates at this time. The DD1 motor status has also not changed. If the motor were to change specification, we would make this clear. Right now, the standard pre-order units, auction units, and Podium Racing Wheel units are all set to launch with the DD2 motor.
  • Thanks Dominic. 

It's the grey zone about how long the 'first batch' DD2 motor lasts that's the main thing. I assume the actual eventual DD1 motor is still under development, but I worry because there's been no stated period for sure that the DD2 offer will last. Hopefully when the DD1 motor is ready Fanatec will give us one last chance to order a DD1 with the DD2 motor before the switch, and it isn't a sudden no-notice announcement that this opportunity has suddenly passed.
  • edited September 2018

• edited September 2018
    For those of who like to design their simracing rigs I prepared a 3D model of Podium wheel base. Hope it's close to real and somebody find it useful. Grab it here. P. S. Hope someday I can afford it in real...
  • For those on the fence with the auction you can just preorder and if you win a auction cancel your preorder. Since they cannot deliver better information on their auction this is what I would suggest. 

IMO annoucing auctions and preorders together was bad marketing. Of course the majority of us will wait around for auction to get a deal. This should have been thought out a little more before announcing auctions...
  • For those on the fence with the auction you can just preorder and if you win a auction cancel your preorder. Since they cannot deliver better information on their auction this is what I would suggest.
    But you have to open your wallet und pay the full price to preorder. Therefore people are still on the fence, i guess.
  • edited September 2018
    To All concerned about the Auction I suggest look at it from the opposite point of View.
    1) The Auctions are still planned to go on and are just delayed.
    2) It gives you more time to gather more funds to be a Strong Bidder.
    3) Just in Case you don't Win the Auction you had more time to gather Full funds to be able to place a Order at Full price.
    4) If a Auction is done again for a future product No guarantee but most of the kinks should be worked out so things go smoother.

There are 1000 positive things to focus on why is it only the Negative that gets focused on??? The Wheel wont even start shipping until December there is plenty of time for people to get in on the first batch.

As for Me I didn't wait i Pre Ordered Day 1 that way i Make sure i Get My DD2!!!