Introducing the ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2

Comments

• Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    All the new formula V2 style wheels are technically identical with the exception of the Xbox security chip. Of course you can remove the Xbox button caps or replace it with black ones.
  • Andrew DillonAndrew Dillon Member
    edited December 2018
    "new Multi Position switches which now can be operated in two modes" Is this exclusive to this wheel or does the 2018 LE have this too?
    Mhhh, same question...

:-$
    Same question +1

Bit dissapointed with fact that this has more features then the LE at same price point so would like clarification on above.

I still prefer colour scheme of LE and run on PC so xbox not a big deal although the win 10 license is interesting. What can you do on win 10 with this that you can't with the LE? Purely marketing or some functional aspect?

Really worried that LE is going to be made technically redundant a month after release.

Edit:

All the new formula V2 style wheels are technically identical with the exception of the Xbox security chip. Of course you can remove the Xbox button caps or replace it with black ones.

Thomas, Does the LE count as a V2 wheel?

On V2 red product page it states
    Two 12-way multi-position switches which can also be used as rotary encoders

On LE 2018 product page it states
    Two 12-way multi-position switches

Based on this it appears that the LE is not technically the same function wise as V2. Clarification would be nice. A reason for difference given LE still not released would be nicer :wink:
  • OK, I get it, you got the F1 deal and a rediculous stable of awesome formula rims. Now, why does Fanatec hate GT racers.;) You better show some GT love soon, just sayin’.
  • Manuel RinconManuel Rincon Member
    edited December 2018
    Thomas, great presentation and I love the features and the functionality, but for one of the next Podium series Formula wheel could you please have it without the XBox logo? For serious PC sim racers the logo as it is for example on this Formula V2 makes the whole thing rather arcade in feel.

Oh and in terms of button colors real F1 have multi-colored buttons for quick identification so I think that would be the best approach. Certainly the classic Formula rim looks best for this reason.
    The video above shows the detachable xbox button caps come off and then shows the rest of the video without them. The plain buttons underneath are different colored buttons from each other. It is likely it will come with button caps like wipers and lights.
  • Thomas that is a really nice wheel. Good job and thanks a bunch.
  • WOW, now I'm confused.
    So this is the new formula wheel - same as the 2018 F1 LE wheel but a different colour and the 2019 F1 wheel will be totally different.
    I have a voucher burning my pocket, but now I'm going to have to wait for the F12019 info to arrive.
    Looks great though..
    There will be a new colour version every year from now on so not sure how long you want to wait ;)
    Fanatec why you do this to me lol new color scheme every year. if you make a mercedes blueish green color that would be amazing.
  • I would also like to know if this red V2 wheel has more functionality in the rotary switches than the gold le rim!
  • I would also like to know if this red V2 wheel has more functionality in the rotary switches than the gold le rim!
    +1
  • I have the McLaren wheel and wonder if there are good reasons to sell that one and get this new wheel instead.

Also, can the podium paddle module be used with this wheel on a CSL Elite base?
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    edited December 2018
    The wheel looks great! I'm glad to finally see a Formula rim I can use!

I'm excited for the Xbox compatibility, but will all of the features actually work with Xbox? Or will it be similar in functionality to the McLaren GP3 rim? By that I mean: both toggle switches are permanently mapped/shared to RT/LT (throttle/brake), RSB/LSB buttons are permanently shared with shift up/down, and the rotary encoders don't do anything at all. That is a lot of key features made useless.

Will this F1 wheel be different? Will the rev LEDs work on Xbox? Will we be able to map the thumb rotary controls?
    I know Xbox is behind on a lot of their own integration, but it would be nice to know what works and what doesn't before committing to the pre-order.
    It is currently similar to the McLaren wheel in terms of the number of accessible features on the Xbox One, but we are hopeful that Microsoft will expand their support.

So the limited part of the limited F1 Wheel is that it has less material less functuality with ps4 but i get everthing on other wheels for the same price?

Confused...
    I'm confused and disappointed and possibly mislead. So the le wheel is just a different colour. If I'd known these wheels coming out would be coming out were virtually identical I'd be less likely to pull the trigger....not happy with the marketing at this point.
    I'm sorry you feel that way Richard. You can of course cancel your Limited Edition order and purchase this version instead, but I would suggest that it may be worth hanging on to it, as it is a genuinely limited run, and could increase in value in the future.

So the limited part of the limited F1 Wheel is that it has less material less functuality with ps4 but i get everthing on other wheels for the same price?

Confused...
    I'm confused and disappointed and possibly mislead. So the le wheel is just a different colour. If I'd known these wheels coming out would be coming out were virtually identical I'd be less likely to pull the trigger....not happy with the marketing at this point.
    Yeah, Fanatec needs to be more straightforward with their marketing, so what's the difference between the LE and this one? just the color, and this one being a closed design vs the LE an open one? I pre-ordered the LE and now I like this one better, so I might end up canceling and just waiting until it is available.
    The difference is the cutaway design, the colour scheme and the golden weave inside the carbon fibre. The F1 2018 wheel is officially licensed by Formula 1, whereas the 'standard' V2 is not. And of course the limited edition was a strictly limited run that sold out in a few hours, whereas the V2 will be available in our webshop continuously.
    "new Multi Position switches which now can be operated in two modes" Is this exclusive to this wheel or does the 2018 LE have this too?
    The Limited Edition has this too. The webshop description has been adjusted to reflect this.

Mhhh, same question...

:-$
    Same question +1

Bit dissapointed with fact that this has more features then the LE at same price point so would like clarification on above.

I still prefer colour scheme of LE and run on PC so xbox not a big deal although the win 10 license is interesting. What can you do on win 10 with this that you can't with the LE? Purely marketing or some functional aspect?

Really worried that LE is going to be made technically redundant a month after release.

Edit:

Thomas, Does the LE count as a V2 wheel?

On V2 red product page it states
    Two 12-way multi-position switches which can also be used as rotary encoders

On LE 2018 product page it states
    Two 12-way multi-position switches

Based on this it appears that the LE is not technically the same function wise as V2. Clarification would be nice. A reason for difference given LE still not released would be nicer :wink:
    To be clear: three of the four different formula-type wheels we revealed recently (the 'F1 2018', the 'F1 PS4', and the 'Formula V2') are all classified as 'V2' spec. They all contain the same functionality, differing in terms of cutaway design and colour scheme. The cutaway versions are officially licensed by Formula 1. Only the 'Formula V2' contains the Xbox security chip.

Thomas, great presentation and I love the features and the functionality, but for one of the next Podium series Formula wheel could you please have it without the XBox logo? For serious PC sim racers the logo as it is for example on this Formula V2 makes the whole thing rather arcade in feel.

Oh and in terms of button colors real F1 have multi-colored buttons for quick identification so I think that would be the best approach. Certainly the classic Formula rim looks best for this reason.
    The buttons are detachable, as shown in the majority of the video and in the product page. We've also added another image to the webshop that shows the Formula V2 fitted with some of the included 'racing button caps'.
    I would also like to know if this red V2 wheel has more functionality in the rotary switches than the gold le rim!
    They are the same. The rotary encoder functionality of the multi-position switches was revealed in the original video of the F1 2018 wheel.
  • Thanks for the clarification Dom, much appreciated.
  • @Dominic brennan any news on the gt style side of wheels? The porsche wheel or any other on the way?
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    I have the McLaren wheel and wonder if there are good reasons to sell that one and get this new wheel instead.

Also, can the podium paddle module be used with this wheel on a CSL Elite base?
    The McLaren wheel is a CSL Series product, and this is a ClubSport Series product, so there are some inherent advantages in terms of materials and performance. This wheel simply has more inputs than the McLaren too. Despite sharing a similar overall shape, the Formula V2 (and indeed any of the ClubSport Formula wheels) has quite a different feeling to the McLaren wheel in general due to the diameter, weight distribution, and grip design. And yes, you can use this wheel with the P APM on a CSL Elite wheel base.

@Dominic brennan any news on the gt style side of wheels? The porsche wheel or any other on the way?
    Nothing that I can say right now Chris.
  • The McLaren wheel is a CSL Series product, and this is a ClubSport Series product, so there are some inherent advantages in terms of materials and performance. This wheel simply has more inputs than the McLaren too. Despite sharing a similar overall shape, the Formula V2 (and indeed any of the ClubSport Formula wheels) has quite a different feeling to the McLaren wheel in general due to the diameter, weight distribution, and grip design. And yes, you can use this wheel with the P APM on a CSL Elite wheel base.

I thank you for the info Dominic, but my wallet doesn't ... ;)

Does anyone want to buy a McLaren CSL Elite Wheel from me?
  • The wheel looks great! I'm glad to finally see a Formula rim I can use!

I'm excited for the Xbox compatibility, but will all of the features actually work with Xbox? Or will it be similar in functionality to the McLaren GP3 rim? By that I mean: both toggle switches are permanently mapped/shared to RT/LT (throttle/brake), RSB/LSB buttons are permanently shared with shift up/down, and the rotary encoders don't do anything at all. That is a lot of key features made useless.

Will this F1 wheel be different? Will the rev LEDs work on Xbox? Will we be able to map the thumb rotary controls?
    I know Xbox is behind on a lot of their own integration, but it would be nice to know what works and what doesn't before committing to the pre-order.
    Great wheel and great presentation, but for us mortal xbox users we will have to depend on Microsoft and the game devs to make all the features work. Otherwise it will be just a shiny looking wheel with 6 usuable buttons. Since there will be one released every year I will wait for the full support on xbox and wear down my McLaren wheel.
  • Daid MarxDaid Marx Member
    edited December 2018
    While repro wheels are nice, I am hoping there will be a higher end generic GT offering with podium shifter and subsequent peripheral compatibility.  The Porsche wheel that was shown is dated as the new Porsche GT3 has the same style wheel as Mercedes, Corvette, Audi, Lambo et. al.  As in not round. I like the McLaren wheel's form factor, but it is rather plastic-y. IMO a generic wheel with more features in lieu of licensing is less pigeon-holed in its representation and longer lived.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Looks good. So if the McLaren is too much plastic, how much are you willing to spend on a full carbon fibre wheel?
  • Looks good. So if the McLaren is too much plastic, how much are you willing to spend on a full carbon fibre wheel?

Hello Thomas, for a really impressive top-end gt3 wheel, if you can do it around 800 euros, I would not doubt it
    :x
  • I would have to assume the next version of the McLaren wheel would be a clubsport or podium version. I love the wheel but would like to have alcantara as grips instead and hope somewhere down the road I can upgrade them....i find my hands get sweaty and the wheel becomes a bit slippery... I also wish the game developers would get there acts together... I primarily use raceroom and none of the encoders work and you also have to ensure the mapping of certain functions are correct or you get some weird stuff happening. Why they don't have this stuff figured out before the wheel is released is beyond me.
  • What does it mean by Windows 10 compatible? Are the other rims not Windows compatible?
  • Looks good. So if the McLaren is too much plastic, how much are you willing to spend on a full carbon fibre wheel?

A full carbon equivalent to to the Mclaren GT3 wheel in the $600.00ish range seems reasonable to me. But that's just one opinion. 
    On my side, between 1000 and 1500 € for an ultimate wheel like that. I want to make sure everything is a high quality (carbon, metal, rotary buttons, high quality buttons, magnetic paddles with clutch, customize wheel with stickers and buttons colors of our choice), reaslitic look (or simply a real replica) and reliable for a long time ! :)

It's really something I want to buy after my DD. I'm already saving my money for it. I want the wheel that I will use for all endurance races and more (modern GT, LMP, open wheels, ...)

And why not to make an accessory to add a screen on the base ? I already have one but it's bad plastic 3D printed with not so nice leds and screen.

The Mclaren is good about the shape and functionalities. But it's too much plastic. I've also some issues with my own Mclaren wheel so it's not so much reliable for a 24 hours endurance race and I don't know how the wheel will be after 2 years of use. If only I can have this Mclaren but in high quality, i will be happy !

Please Thomas, make it true !

• Daid MarxDaid Marx Member
    edited December 2018
    Looks good. So if the McLaren is too much plastic, how much are you willing to spend on a full carbon fibre wheel?
    Hi, Thomas. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my comment.  While replica wheels are collectable, IMO having a solid, generic wheel for a discipline is preferred. The Formula wheel (and now the new formula v2 wheel) fills this space nicely for open wheel disciplines.  In GT, the steering wheel has been slower to evolve and even slower to homologate to a common form factor.  I believe now it has gotten to a shape that is common accross most manufacturers. While the AMG and Corvette wheels are more stylized, they essentially provide for the same hand position and diameter as the Audi, Ferrari and other wheels in the class (including the McLaren, which has great dimensions, but struggles in the materials department relative to other Fanatec products). For the price it's great, so don't misunderstand, I am not one of the people who expected Club Sport quality at a sub $200 price. 

You did ask a question, and apologies for taking time to get to it.  I am not opposed to plastics per se, as Fanatec has successfully  used high quality polymers and metal to get a much more solid wheel without committing to the expense of a full CF construction.  While having a lighter wheel would make for better acceleration from the wheel base, most materials short of lead would be OK. So I if I am designing a GT wheel for you it would have the same number of buttons, functionality and limited display functions as the Formula V2 wheel, but in the GT form factor. (Or the wheel could have no display at all as most GT cars have the display in the dash - or the sim racer is using VR anyway. I suppose some info screen is necessary to confirm updates and faults.)  Keeping the button number and relative control layout the same will make it easier for Fanatec customers to easily switch between Formula and GT wheels without having to reassign all of their buttons in game and learn new finger motions. Thumb encoders are not prolific in GT3/GTE, but BMW has incorporated them on their newest car. For sim racing they are great, as for my part, I race in a darkened room and thumb dials are easy to find and move without taking your hands off of the wheel. Maybe BMW is on to something..... So I would be willing to pay $350 - $400 for a GT3 form factor version of the Formula V2 wheel. (Obviously the ability to upgrade components is a plus for the consumer and Fanatec.) A CF version at some premium could be offered as it was in the original Formula wheel.  If you were to get into a flat carbon fiber plate wheel a la the Mercedes AMG, then the pricing would be a different realm I'd imagine. Boutique versions of this wheel are over $1,000 USD. To me this is not Fanatec's market - yet.
  • Kelvin ZipperKelvin Zipper Member
    edited December 2018
    Daid Marx said:
    While repro wheels are nice, I am hoping there will be a higher end generic GT offering with podium shifter and subsequent peripheral compatibility.  The Porsche wheel that was shown is dated as the new Porsche GT3 has the same style wheel as Mercedes, Corvette, Audi, Lambo et. al.  As in not round. I like the McLaren wheel's form factor, but it is rather plastic-y. IMO a generic wheel with more features in lieu of licensing is less pigeon-holed in its representation and longer lived.
    Unverschämt sowas hier reinzuschreiben!. Manche Leute sind echt provokant.... Aber wollen auch nix zahlen. Nur am meckern. Man kann doch nicht in eine Kneipe gehen und den Wirt anmachen weil er Bier verkauft zu einem annehmbaren Preis. Geh doch nicht auf die Hersteller Seite, sondern in ein öffentliches Forum wo du deine Meinung kundgeben kannst.
  • Unverschämt sowas hier reinzuschreiben!. Manche Leute sind echt provokant.... Aber wollen auch nix zahlen. Nur am meckern. Man kann doch nicht in eine Kneipe gehen und den Wirt anmachen weil er Bier verkauft zu einem annehmbaren Preis. Geh doch nicht auf die Hersteller Seite, sondern in ein öffentliches Forum wo du deine Meinung kundgeben kannst.
    I have to guess that your translation program let you down.  Please give it another try, then if you still wish to berate me for answering Thomas's question of me directly, have at it.
  • Marc GilbertiMarc Gilberti Member
    edited December 2018
    what is missing in Fanatec products, It's a product like this:
  • Yes, an true Limited Edition steering wheel, carbon fiber and high quality, 300 pieces only for DD Podium owners, price 800/1000 euro...  Gift for Christmas 2019.  B-)
  • Daid Marx said:
    Hi, Thomas. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my comment.  While replica wheels are collectable, IMO having a solid, generic wheel for a discipline is preferred. The Formula wheel (and now the new formula v2 wheel) fills this space nicely for open wheel disciplines.  In GT, the steering wheel has been slower to evolve and even slower to homologate to a common form factor.  I believe now it has gotten to a shape that is common accross most manufacturers. While the AMG and Corvette wheels are more stylized, they essentially provide for the same hand position and diameter as the Audi, Ferrari and other wheels in the class (including the McLaren, which has great dimensions, but struggles in the materials department relative to other Fanatec products). For the price it's great, so don't misunderstand, I am not one of the people who expected Club Sport quality at a sub $200 price. 

You did ask a question, and apologies for taking time to get to it.  I am not opposed to plastics per se, as Fanatec has successfully  used high quality polymers and metal to get a much more solid wheel without committing to the expense of a full CF construction.  While having a lighter wheel would make for better acceleration from the wheel base, most materials short of lead would be OK. So I if I am designing a GT wheel for you it would have the same number of buttons, functionality and limited display functions as the Formula V2 wheel, but in the GT form factor. (Or the wheel could have no display at all as most GT cars have the display in the dash - or the sim racer is using VR anyway. I suppose some info screen is necessary to confirm updates and faults.)  Keeping the button number and relative control layout the same will make it easier for Fanatec customers to easily switch between Formula and GT wheels without having to reassign all of their buttons in game and learn new finger motions. Thumb encoders are not prolific in GT3/GTE, but BMW has incorporated them on their newest car. For sim racing they are great, as for my part, I race in a darkened room and thumb dials are easy to find and move without taking your hands off of the wheel. Maybe BMW is on to something..... So I would be willing to pay $350 - $400 for a GT3 form factor version of the Formula V2 wheel. (Obviously the ability to upgrade components is a plus for the consumer and Fanatec.) A CF version at some premium could be offered as it was in the original Formula wheel.  If you were to get into a flat carbon fiber plate wheel a la the Mercedes AMG, then the pricing would be a different realm I'd imagine. Boutique versions of this wheel are over $1,000 USD. To me this is not Fanatec's market - yet.
    The best post i have seen on these forums for ages,  constructive, honest and relevant.  For a company giving away items for Christmas, the amount of anger on these forums (blogs) is amazing.
     I agree wholeheartedly, a formula V2 3-4cm bigger, in a slightly different form would be an instant winner. A lot of sim racers want authentic feel and functionality, not just looks at the expense of quality.  VR is a case in point - Where appearance is irrelevant.
    I would be an instant purchaser of a metal/carbon GT3 wheel, with the option of the podium shifters.  It doesn't require licensing for me (additional cost) just the form factor and functionality.
    Don't get me wrong, Fanatec equipment is great quality, but sometimes I wonder about the long term plan regarding customer engagement.
  • edited December 2018
    I would buy a high quality McLaren wheel in carbon or alu in at heart beat, personally I would always use brushed aluminium, if carbon was too expensive, instead of fake carbon. newer liked carbon that much to begin with, I do like the McLaren wheel available, and am thinking of getting one, but a podium version would be the best thing ever.

I also agree on the gt3 style version of the formula wheel, size is the biggest reason I haven't ordered one yet, I wear vr goggles, so it just have to be the same size and shape to get the job done, and as much as I like replica wheels if they are exact, it just has to work, last, and look great. I do like the open bottom versions better.

If i could make one change, i would have all different color buttons, so i don't have to remember which red button. Not really a problem in vr

Hope to se more Fanatec wheels like the F1 that are original design and not only replicas, fingers crossed for GT2 and GT3, what ever happens I will be getting some of the wheels when the podium series is out:-)
  • Dear Fanatec are there coming new pedals with the new podium series?