Podium DD unboxing - The wait is over

Comments

• Just got the ups mail aswell. Status says: "shipment ready for ups" and scheduled delivery for tomorow.
  • Also got mail from UPS, delivery tomorrow :D (Germany)
  • Maik ZeranskiMaik Zeranski Member
    edited April 2019
    Just got an SMS and a push notification of the UPS App for a delivery at 30.04 (Germany) - 13 kg, so it's the DD2 :)

If you have an UPS MyChoice Account and live in Germany, just open the app and check yourself. Chances are good you will see your order as well, I checked mine at lunch and the SMS and push came shortly after.

Hopefully UPS is not screwing up the redirection to my working place this time, fingers crossed, wouldn't be the first time.

• Just got UPS mail the label was only created today! So much for being shipped on Friday. Lied to again...l
  • Just installed the DD2 and doing first testing now 8-X
  • Germany- shipping notice from UPS, arriving tomorrow !!! So sweet! Well done Fanatec and Thankyou! Now I’m excited cause now it is real!
  • ordered 5 items and for now I see 3 tracking ... and the weight I see is 6kg ... I don't know if it's a UPS problem or it hasn't been shipped yet since it should weigh around 13kg? app 6kg tracking ups for 2 tracking and 1 5.90kg should I worry?
  • Cristian said:
    ordered 5 items and for now I see 3 tracking ... and the weight I see is 6kg ... I don't know if it's a UPS problem or it hasn't been shipped yet since it should weigh around 13kg? app 6kg tracking ups for 2 tracking and 1 5.90kg should I worry?
    I reckon if all your items in your order have it saying shipped . I wouldnt worry, you may get another email SMS later or tomorrow (it may not all ship at the same time )  =((
  • ClubSport Handbrake V1.5     weight 1.50kg

ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5    weight  3.28kg

ClubSport Pedals V3 Brake Performance Kit  weight 0.10kg

Podium Wheel Base DD1  weight 13kg

how can i have 2 tracking at 6kg and 1 at 5.90kg?

• Cristian said:

ClubSport Handbrake V1.5     weight 1.50kg

ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5    weight  3.28kg

ClubSport Pedals V3 Brake Performance Kit  weight 0.10kg

Podium Wheel Base DD1  weight 13kg

how can i have 2 tracking at 6kg and 1 at 5.90kg?
    seems like you get the new Podium DD1 self-building kit :D
    Or they dropped it and now you get the broken pieces :D
  • look, I hope so much that everything will be fine and that the technical support will check because I don't know what to do anymore ... and with the luck that I find myself I am able to send me everything except my DD1 :(
  • edited April 2019
    finally i can be a human again, got 2 mails from UPS. delivery 30.4.19
    when i hold that thing in my hands tomorrow, i bet i start crying.
    thanks fanatec i hate & love you at the same time  :P
    thanks that you had make this happend! simracing is the future.

now i need a beer, cheers!

=D>  =D>  =D>
  • Weight?
  • Cristian said:
    Weight?
    13kg mail say.
    :-B

• Can confirm my package with a DD1 inside is on it's way from Germany (back to) the Netherlands, Tilburg and will be delivered around 3-4PM (CET). So I gave my wife and daughters a surprise. They are for the rest of the week in Scotland. They were sooo happy. 
  • Hello Fanatec, hi all, 

I just received my DD1 one today. Overall it is really a great product, I'm happy I went for it. 

However, I noticed an issue that may (or hopefully may not) cause serious trouble in near future:

When mounting a rim, there is a considerable amount of play all around, meaning the wheel bends slightly to all sides. This was not the case with my V2.5, very tight fit on that one. This holds for both, the formula carbon and BMW GT2 rim which are not too old.

Being an engineer myself I looked a bit more and found the source of the play: 

The first part of the axle where the rim slides on, the one before the rubber, is too small in Diameter. Easily a few tenths of microns, if not even a hundred. 
    This means, even with the tightest rubber squeeze and security screw, there will be play, as the axle is simply too small. 

Please @Thomas Jackermeier, can you comment on this? There are so many issues with broken rim Pins out there, this looks quite dangerous to me. Esp. since the forces are up to there times as on V2.5 and there will be quite an amount of bending on all of the Pins with this play and configuration. 
  • @Ingo - Shaun Cole at Simpit had the same issue in his first unboxing vid. 

Aside from possible pin damage the possible wheel movement while driving would be something you never un-notice. I really really hope mine, when it arrives, has a tight fit and this isn't a recall issue...
  • edited April 2019
    My DD2 just came in today all set up and been using the DD2 for a few hours today in Race Room... It was worth Every penny and every bit of wait!!! Yes i will say the wait was looong but the finished product makes it all worth it...Great Job Fanatec.
  • edited April 2019
    Hello Fanatec, hi all, 

I just received my DD1 one today. Overall it is really a great product, I'm happy I went for it. 

However, I noticed an issue that may (or hopefully may not) cause serious trouble in near future:

When mounting a rim, there is a considerable amount of play all around, meaning the wheel bends slightly to all sides. This was not the case with my V2.5, very tight fit on that one. This holds for both, the formula carbon and BMW GT2 rim which are not too old.

Being an engineer myself I looked a bit more and found the source of the play: 

The first part of the axle where the rim slides on, the one before the rubber, is too small in Diameter. Easily a few tenths of microns, if not even a hundred. 
    This means, even with the tightest rubber squeeze and security screw, there will be play, as the axle is simply too small. 

Please @Thomas Jackermeier, can you comment on this? There are so many issues with broken rim Pins out there, this looks quite dangerous to me. Esp. since the forces are up to there times as on V2.5 and there will be quite an amount of bending on all of the Pins with this play and configuration. 
    Check to make sure your wheel is pushed firmly on...It takes a nice firm push to get it on...I  dont have any flex in My wheel...I have a fellow sim racer friend over testing the DD2 and he cant notice any flex in the rim either.
  • Check to make sure your wheel is pushed firmly on...It takes a nice firm push to get it on...I  dont have any flex in My wheel...I have a fellow sim racer friend over testing the DD2 and he cant notice any flex in the rim either.
    It is well pushed in. Otherwise I would not be able to use the fixation screw. Also the quick release itself would not arrest itself properly if it wasn't pushed in properly. 
    Maybe there is a batch that has a different Diameter on that axle. As I said on the old v2.5 the fit is perfect. On this DD1 though it is bad. Also I hear quite some noises in high torque turns. Kinda afraid to race on, as I don't want to damage the rims… 
    Don't know how far Fanatec takes in fair dealing (aka Kulanz) when their product damages another one of their own due to bad design. 

Interestingly I noticed in the manual there is an instruction manual "how to replace the wheelbase QR System" so maybe the issue is known already.
  • Check to make sure your wheel is pushed firmly on...It takes a nice firm push to get it on...I  dont have any flex in My wheel...I have a fellow sim racer friend over testing the DD2 and he cant notice any flex in the rim either.
    It is well pushed in. Otherwise I would not be able to use the fixation screw. Also the quick release itself would not arrest itself properly if it wasn't pushed in properly. 
    Maybe there is a batch that has a different Diameter on that axle. As I said on the old v2.5 the fit is perfect. On this DD1 though it is bad. Also I hear quite some noises in high torque turns. Kinda afraid to race on, as I don't want to damage the rims… 
    Don't know how far Fanatec takes in fair dealing (aka Kulanz) when their product damages another one of their own due to bad design. 

Interestingly I noticed in the manual there is an instruction manual "how to replace the wheelbase QR System" so maybe the issue is known already.I had the
    I had issues on the BMW GT2 and Formula Carbon with fit and sloppiness on my CSWv1.5. Both had their QR's replaced and were then so tight I had to build muscle mass to get hem off/on. I then had CSW v2 and they were just as tight. No problems since. I'll report oin my DD2 when it comes tomorrow, but do suspect it's early QR defects so should be OK for me. That said, I've just sold the BMW and have the carbon up for sale so will test with some of my other rims.
  • Well great, just tried to start up my CSW V2 wheel base and pressing the start button as normal does nothing, the green light on the power brick is still lit and nothing happens on the base at all, was working fine a few days ago. Perfect timing as I preordered a DD2 a few weeks back but missed the first batch by a few days, so won’t have a replacement till mid to late June.

Interestingly I noticed in the manual there is an instruction manual "how to replace the wheelbase QR System" so maybe the issue is known already.
    Ok check the Allen screws on the Shaft that holds the QR in place...The same page where you saw the "How to Replace QR" will show you the Bolts to tighten....Thats the first thing i did was make sure those were tight... Cant hurt to check...If they are loose i suggest to loosen them more push the QR in while its loose to make sure its snugly in place then Re-tighten the QR locking screws.  Hope this helps.
  • Fingers crossed that 30 April also applies to the southern hemisphere, AEST time.

Same....
  • edited April 2019
    I received my dd1 today and got the firmware updated and calibrated on both my wheel base and rim.  Everything within the Fanatec wheel property page shows it working correctly, pedals, shifter, handbrake. I cannot get any games to detect it though. I select CSW 2.5, and nothing works. Cannot navigate the menus with any button on my porsche 918 rim. I also cannot get anything to move when performing an ingame wheel calibration. I've tried Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally 2, ACC, and RaceRoom racing experience. Anyone have this issue?

PC Driver: 334
    Wheel Base Firmware: 651
    Wheel Base Motor Firmware: 29
  • I received my dd1 today and got the firmware updated and calibrated on both my wheel base and rim.  Everything within the Fanatec wheel property page shows it working correctly, pedals, shifter, handbrake. I cannot get any games to detect it though. I select CSW 2.5, and nothing works. Cannot navigate the menus with any button on my porsche 918 rim. I also cannot get anything to move when performing an ingame wheel calibration. I've tried Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally 2, ACC, and RaceRoom racing experience. Anyone have this issue?

PC Driver: 334
    Wheel Base Firmware: 651
    Wheel Base Motor Firmware: 29
    Did you restart the PC after you updated PC with the New DD Driver. What I do is Uninstall the old driver first, Defrag Drive, Restart PC, Install New Driver, Update wheel base... Seems a Tad over kill but it always works Flawless with No issues.
  • Does anyone know where I can get a right & left blue laced carbon fiber side panel for my PS4 Podium wheel base...mine came without them   X(
  • I got my DD1 today. wow what an amazing piece of sim racing equipment.   can you give an estimate as to when the kill switch will go up for sale?
  • Does anyone know where I can get a right & left blue laced carbon fiber side panel for my PS4 Podium wheel base...mine came without them   X(
    call fanatic support im sure they would be willing to ship you a set