DD2 motor permanently for DD1

Comments

• edited May 2019
    Heinz, its enough to post your question one time...

NO, as it is described in the webshop page of both DD1 and DD2: They are not and they can not be made compatible with the playstation platform.
    And yes, technically DD1 and DD1 PS4 Racing Wheel are exactly the same.
  • Sorry for that.
    Thanks for the fast answer.

I have copy and paste then the background was yellow.
    Then i edited the post and it did not save.

Grettings Heinz Glanzer
  • I find it strange that with the price increases, a DD1 with 5 year warranty is the same price as the DD2
  • Let stop saying DD2 motor.

There is 1 one motor for all 3 bases.

The DD1 and PS4 models are configured for 20nm, the DD2 is configured for 25nm.

This is how it should have been advertised from the start. People don't need to know the internal specifics of the motor, the capacitors, the electronics - just like the other manufacturers do. If you do, buy some and tear them down for comparison.

There are 3 versions of Fanatec Direct Drive Wheel.
    1. DD1 with 20Nm 
    2. DD2 with 25Nm
    3. Podium Wheel PS4, licensed with Sony as a complete package with 20Nm

Fanatec doesn't need to tell us if they make small revisions over time, as long as the wheel bases meet the marketed specifications. If they change the motor - so what, as long as it meets spec.

Do you really need the extra warranty? Fanatec advertise these as "This is the last wheel base you’ll ever need!"

I just can't wait until my DD2 finally arrives tomorrow in Aus & I can use my F1 2018. Coming from a T300Rs

NO! NO! NO

DD2 have a motor from the DD1, only its chip tuned 
  • Let stop saying DD2 motor.

The DD1 and PS4 models are configured for 20nm, the DD2 is configured for 25nm.

This is how it should have been advertised from the start. People don't need to know the internal specifics of the motor, the capacitors, the electronics - just like the other manufacturers do. If you do, buy some and tear them down for comparison.

There are 3 versions of Fanatec Direct Drive Wheel.
    1. DD1 with 20Nm 
    2. DD2 with 25Nm
    3. Podium Wheel PS4, licensed with Sony as a complete package with 20Nm

Fanatec doesn't need to tell us if they make small revisions over time, as long as the wheel bases meet the marketed specifications. If they change the motor - so what, as long as it meets spec.

Do you really need the extra warranty? Fanatec advertise these as "This is the last wheel base you’ll ever need!"

I just can't wait until my DD2 finally arrives tomorrow in Aus & I can use my F1 2018. Coming from a T300Rs

NO! NO! NO

DD2 have a motor from the DD1, only its chip tuned 
    no no no, its the other way. The DD1 has the motor from the DD2 but uses different electronics and is therefore 5Nm less powerful. ;) 
  • Joel BarsottiJoel Barsotti Member
    edited May 2019
    no no no, its the other way. The DD1 has the motor from the DD2 but uses different electronics and is therefore 5Nm less powerful. ;) 
    And these electronics are what?

Larger capacitors?
    More capable onboard processor?

I worked for a company once that described the difference between our hardware and a generic version and when I pressed our owner, it turned out the difference was simply the deviceID in the embedded firmware that differentiated our model from the generic one to the software.
  • Yoolee MoonYoolee Moon Member
    edited May 2019
    Hello Dominic, 

I have received the DD1 yesterday. But I needed steering wheels. So I have tried buying them many times while I was waiting for the DD1. Every single time it says NO ORDER FOUND. Anyway by this time finally I have paid 828.40USD for 3 steering wheels via PayPal. It says NO ORDER FOUND again. 
    And there is nothing in my order history regarding the order even though I received the message from PayPal. I have sent emails a few times about this problem. But Fanatec did not give me the solution willingly. So I am posting this problem in public now. 

Plus the F2019 game key is not available due to out of stock? That is why I could not order together with these steering wheels. I wish I could get it as well.
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Hello Dominic, 

I have received the DD1 yesterday. But I needed steering wheels. So I have tried buying them many times while I was waiting for the DD1. Every single time it says NO ORDER FOUND. Anyway by this time finally I have paid 828.40USD for 3 steering wheels via PayPal. It says NO ORDER FOUND again. 
    And there is nothing in my order history regarding the order even though I received the message from PayPal. I have sent emails a few times about this problem. But Fanatec did not give me the solution willingly. So I am posting this problem in public now. 

Plus the F2019 game key is not available due to out of stock? That is why I could not order together with these steering wheels. I wish I could get it as well.
    I'm sorry for the inconvenience Yoolee, I've sent you a PM.
  • Second batch for the Podium Racing Wheel F1 already sold out....shipping date is now the 16th of August....Glad I placed my order yesterday morning when the shipping date was still the 14th of June.

I'd be curious to know haw many Podium do they make in one batch, with the price range I wasn't expecting them to be sold out that quick!!

Can't wait to get mine, I still need to order the pedals though...which one would go best with the Podium, CSL Elite LC or CLubSports V3?

• Paul HartlPaul Hartl Member
    edited May 2019
    Second batch for the Podium Racing Wheel F1 already sold out....shipping date is now the 16th of August....Glad I placed my order yesterday morning when the shipping date was still the 14th of June.

I'd be curious to know haw many Podium do they make in one batch, with the price range I wasn't expecting them to be sold out that quick!!

Can't wait to get mine, I still need to order the pedals though...which one would go best with the Podium, CSL Elite LC or CLubSports V3?

Heusinkveld sprints, hehe
  • Second batch for the Podium Racing Wheel F1 already sold out....shipping date is now the 16th of August....Glad I placed my order yesterday morning when the shipping date was still the 14th of June.

Heusinkveld sprints, hehe
    I play on PS4 so I have to get Fanatec pedals.
  • I am confused

If I order the Podium Wheel (PS4) before May 7th , do I get the regular DD2 base or I get the one limited to 20nm?

No, as the blog post says you get a DD1 with a DD2 motor BUT with different electronics and therefore eith less Torque.
    I don't think the electronic is different, i'm just saying..
    They are.

I am confused

If I order the Podium Wheel (PS4) before May 7th , do I get the regular DD2 base or I get the one limited to 20nm?

No, as the blog post says you get a DD1 with a DD2 motor BUT with different electronics and therefore eith less Torque.
    I don't think the electronic is different, i'm just saying..
    They are.

• Marco BastoneMarco Bastone Member
    edited May 2019
    Just wondering if Fanatec already put in the more expensive motor of the DD2 in the DD1 without charging more for it, why would they spend more time or money developing separate or different electronics for the DD1 just to have less torque.  Wouldn't it make more sense for them to just use everything from the DD2 and just limit the torque through software.  
  • if donot use torque key, what value will the torque be locked?
  • Just wondering if Fanatec already put in the more expensive motor of the DD2 in the DD1 without charging more for it, why would they spend more time or money developing separate or different electronics for the DD1 just to have less torque.  Wouldn't it make more sense for them to just use everything from the DD2 and just limit the torque through software.  
    maybe the DD1 electronics are so much cheaper that the additional development cost are worth it in the long run ?
  • Sascha KaymerSascha Kaymer Member
    edited May 2019
    leon liu said:
    if donot use torque key, what value will the torque be locked?
    Hi Leon, I was told without the torque key it is limited to 10 Nm :)
  • Just wondering if Fanatec already put in the more expensive motor of the DD2 in the DD1 without charging more for it, why would they spend more time or money developing separate or different electronics for the DD1 just to have less torque.  Wouldn't it make more sense for them to just use everything from the DD2 and just limit the torque through software.  
    maybe the DD1 electronics are so much cheaper that the additional development cost are worth it in the long run ?
    I think so, too. And as the market evolves, other brands probably will also place a wheel base in the region of (or even below) 1000€, so Fanatec probably want's back to this price range one day...
  • OK, everyone in here is saying the electronics are different between the DD1 and DD2 but Dom has stated a few times that they are the same, what’s the definite answer on this as it’s getting annoying with the conflicting information. Dom?
  • OK, everyone in here is saying the electronics are different between the DD1 and DD2 but Dom has stated a few times that they are the same, what’s the definite answer on this as it’s getting annoying with the conflicting information. Dom?
    Where did Dom stated that they are the same? He always said the electronics are indeed different in EVERY post I can find from him about this topic. 
    The Motor is the same, yes, but the electronics are different. That was also communicated exactly like this.
  • edited May 2019
    I think too that the electronics are the same, I think I remember it has been corrected. But anyway why are you all obsessed with this? It does not change anything

Since Sunday, I have been waiting for the order desk at Fanatec USA to clear the payment pending flag on my order.
  • Marco BastoneMarco Bastone Member
    edited May 2019
    Like Gavin said would be best to be clarified by Fanatec themselves.  Not that it make much of a difference, just to settle it. 

Just some ideas regarding the matter

1.  Both use same hardware and electronics but since the DD2 is unrestricted compared to DD1, maybe its a little harder on these electrical parts (eg. stress/heat) and therefore the reason for the longer 5 year warranty offered by default.  (Hopefully this is it)

2. Maybe different electronics are needed to optimize feel and performance of the DD1 since the motor is the same and torque is limited compared to the DD2. (?)  

3. They used different electronic components in the DD1 in order to restrict the torque output, as this cannot be done through programming alone. (?)

4. Used cheaper electronic parts compared to the DD2 to keep production cost down on DD1. (Hopefully not the case)

Hmm, Fanatec's CEO says in the initial post of this thread that they have the same motor and the product pages state different torques. How can this be possible without different electronics? :-B Or at least different program code on these electronics...
  • Benjamin KusBenjamin Kus Member
    edited May 2019
    Who cares if they have different or same electronics? Buy the version you want. If they did via software or electronics, it's Fanatecs business. Both methods are possible, but software would be reversible/upgradable. 100% on DD1 would be approx equivalent to 80% on DD2 BUT Fanatec already said electronics, Multiple times & that upgrades were not possible. Why keep asking? Just use & enjoy your wheels! Fanatec has not used inferior parts in 1 model compared to another. The 5 years warranty helps add confidence to the price for the consumer. For the average user it's either going to break on arrival or shortly after, or last a very long time. Do you question every part in your iPhone or Samsung compared to another model in the same generation? If you need to know, buy both & pull them apart.
  • Like Gavin said would be best to be clarified by Fanatec themselves.  Not that it make much of a difference, just to settle it. 

Just some ideas regarding the matter

1.  Both use same hardware and electronics but since the DD2 is unrestricted compared to DD1, maybe its a little harder on these electrical parts (eg. stress/heat) and therefore the reason for the longer 5 year warranty offered by default.  (Hopefully this is it)

2. Maybe different electronics are needed to optimize feel and performance of the DD1 since the motor is the same and torque is limited compared to the DD2. (?)  

3. They used different electronic components in the DD1 in order to restrict the torque output, as this cannot be done through programming alone. (?)

4. Used cheaper electronic parts compared to the DD2 to keep production cost down on DD1. (Hopefully not the case)

5. The same parts, just smaller models or fewer of them.  My guess is a smaller capacitor bank, as that's key to peak torque.
  • Can anyone comment on their purchase through this website if they've had a pending flag placed on their order? In this instance, I put the order in before the price bump, will Fanatec still honor the previous price if I have to re-try the order again?
  • Carl Lam said:
    Can anyone comment on their purchase through this website if they've had a pending flag placed on their order? In this instance, I put the order in before the price bump, will Fanatec still honor the previous price if I have to re-try the order again?
    When I ordered my dd1 back in November even though it was paid it showed as pending for a couple of months I reckon. I contacted support and they said it was all good but I think they also then changed it to payment verified after that contact.
  • leon liu said:
    thank you for your reply.  
    dd1 is the same as dd2?
  • Benjamin KusBenjamin Kus Member
    edited May 2019
    I assume you are asking, without the torque key, are both the DD1 & DD2 limited to 10 Nm? I am not sure on the answer to this.

It really shouldn't matter, as you are buying the DD1/2 for the increased torque. You can also turn it down in game.

• leon liu said:
    leon liu said:
    thank you for your reply.  
    dd1 is the same as dd2?
    The answer is in the very first post and about 500 others, including many in this thread.

How many times does everyone think the official Fanatec staff on the forum want to answer this question? It really isn't very hard to understand.

The DD1 and PS4 models are configured for 20nm, the DD2 is configured for 25nm. That's the entire story.