Podium DD1 PS4 Connection Issue...

Well, after a little help from the forum, I was able to get all the firmware sorted - thanks for that.  Problem is however, it had nothing to do with the firmware.  As I found out by mistake today - the reason the wheel is being disconnected for no apparent reason, is that it is physically losing connection to the base.  Seems it was OK on day one, day two, a little worse, today - not usable.  Disappointing to see this only a few hours into use.  I added a link to the video of issue and pics attached of the connections.  The male pin at about 4 o'clock looks a tiny bit shorter.  Anyone see an issue?

Seems I recall some on the forum questioning the tightness of the wheel to the shaft and a bit of "unanticipated" play.  Is this the result?

I have sent a third support request to Fanatec with no response - we'll see.

Comments

• Troy SmithTroy Smith Member
    edited May 2019
    Makes no difference in wheel orientation - and right side is the only side effected.
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    Two things I would try first. Make sure the 4 screws inside your wheel rim are tight (do not over tighten). Verify that the wheel is on as far back covering the rubber seal.

If you're still having the same issue contact tech support from the main page (red tab)
  • edited May 2019
    It all sounds little bit same problem that I have and same effects.

I also have a play in my quick release from my Unihub and have problems with the connection from the base to the hub sometimes. Screws inside the QR I tightened already. Im my case first day it also worked fine, second day 2 times disconections, third day not recogizing my wheel at all not matter what I did. Now for 4  days it´s working again, but sometimes it looses connection after some time again. It appears more and more after longer driving or some crashes. I guess only the support can help you on this matter also.
    Try updating to the newly released v335. If it still occurs please reach out to support.
  • I thank you for the advice and appreciate the help, but as seen in the video, I think it's pretty clear this isn't a FW issue - wheel does not stay connected to the hub.  With that in mind, I did check the tightness on the bolts in the connector - all seem fine.  I did notice however, when the wheel is not connected, the anodized coupler rests up against the retaining ring firmly.  When connected however, the coupler is not against the retaining rig with about 1/16" gap.  Nor is the rubber seal covered.  It is engaged as I can pull it off without releasing the coupler, but Is this typical fit for the Fanatic QC system?  And it is certainly on as far as it is going to go...  See pics...
  • Gerald NGerald N Member
    edited May 2019
    I thank you for the advice and appreciate the help, but as seen in the video, I think it's pretty clear this isn't a FW issue - wheel does not stay connected to the hub.  With that in mind, I did check the tightness on the bolts in the connector - all seem fine.  I did notice however, when the wheel is not connected, the anodized coupler rests up against the retaining ring firmly.  When connected however, the coupler is not against the retaining rig with about 1/16" gap.  Nor is the rubber seal covered.  It is engaged as I can pull it off without releasing the coupler, but Is this typical fit for the Fanatic QC system?  And it is certainly on as far as it is going to go...  See pics...
    Does not look like its fully engaged, the blue should be up against the ring when installed.  I really have to push mine in to get it installed all the way.  I have the DD2 with the xbox hub and formula v2, I push both of mine until the anodized sleeve locks completely and rests on the ring plus I don't have as much black rubber showing. I don't think it would be much different from the PS4 version.
  • Hey Gerald, why don't you upload a photo for him to see? You know the old saying, a picture says a thousand words.
    edited May 2019
    edited May 2019
  • Last time, resolution was bad on the last one
  • Thanks Gerald - I do see the difference and in looking at the technical photos of the DD1 PS4 system - I do not think mine is all the way on.  It will not however, go any further onto the base shaft.  Feels like it slips over the rubber, or an O-Ring, then comes to a hard stop.  I have pushed exceptionally hard on it, and that's all there is.  Not sure what else to try - something isn't allowing it to go any further.
    edited May 2019
    Hi Troy, 

It might seem obvious however just to be sure, are you turning the locking ring CCW until it touches the rubber gasket (without adding tension) before connecting the wheel? Then tightening?

If so and the issue is still there, I would continue your communications with support as they will be best to help you.
  • Loosen the locking ring completely and do not snug up back to the rubber to TEST if you can get it to lock up, do not run it like that!

Check to see if all the bolt on the wheel by the connector are tight, that's the only thing I can think of that might stop it from going further in.

• Don’t know if you have been told yet, but having one shorter pin is perfectly normal, that’s how it’s designed.
  • Thanks again guys - tried those tips last night - backed off the rubber seal all the way, and put the wheel on, but the QC still doesn't engage.  Pretty sure the anodized ring of the QC doesn't fall in place because the balls are not back far enough to fall into place completely on the base shaft.  I appreciate the info on the pin as well - it is one pin only, but is definitely shorter than the others.  I've done all I can do - guess if I want to continue any SIM racing - time to bite the bullet and pull the DD1 off and put back on the Logitech.

Frustrates me, especially when I can't seem to get any help from Fanatec support.  Still not communication from them...
  • Thanks again guys - tried those tips last night - backed off the rubber seal all the way, and put the wheel on, but the QC still doesn't engage.  Pretty sure the anodized ring of the QC doesn't fall in place because the balls are not back far enough to fall into place completely on the base shaft.  I appreciate the info on the pin as well - it is one pin only, but is definitely shorter than the others.  I've done all I can do - guess if I want to continue any SIM racing - time to bite the bullet and pull the DD1 off and put back on the Logitech.

Frustrates me, especially when I can't seem to get any help from Fanatec support.  Still not communication from them...
    You'll definitely get response, but sometimes it takes a bit longer. Be sure to update your support request with your latest findings.
  • Troy SmithTroy Smith Member
    edited May 2019

Update:

With the help from the forum - I think we all assumed the coupler had some sort of issue.  Way to really test, was to swap the wheel.  I managed to get a hold of another wheel - the Fanatec Clubsport (thanks eBay).  Just put the wheel on the base an immediately noticed the fit was better.  Tested quite a bit with no issues.  Even managed to get a few SIM races in without problems.  Video attached...

https://youtu.be/3ik_oDT7KKE

Furthermore - took a picture of, and compared the difference in coupler fit, left being the new blue PS4 model and right being that of the alternative red Clubsport model.  Slides much further over the rubber and coupler is much closer to the retaining ring - not touching, but close - look closer to normal now?  I will say that Fanatec got back to me today with the same thought process, so guess we'll try and get the wheel replaced.  Will update again when the new wheel gets attached...  Thanks all...

• Update:

With the help from the forum - I think we all assumed the coupler had some sort of issue.  Way to really test, was to swap the wheel.  I managed to get a hold of another wheel - the Fanatec Clubsport (thanks eBay).  Just put the wheel on the base an immediately noticed the fit was better.  Tested quite a bit with no issues.  Even managed to get a few SIM races in without problems.  Video attached...

https://youtu.be/3ik_oDT7KKE

Furthermore - took a picture of, and compared the difference in coupler fit, left being the new blue PS4 model and right being that of the alternative red Clubsport model.  Slides much further over the rubber and coupler is much closer to the retaining ring - not touching, but close - look closer to normal now?  I will say that Fanatec got back to me today with the same thought process, so guess we'll try and get the wheel replaced.  Will update again when the new wheel gets attached...  Thanks all...

Definitely better, looks very close to mine. Glad to hear the base is working well.  It's weird such a small difference in lockup could cause such a problem. 
  • Pierre DARNESPierre DARNES Member
    edited June 2019

• Good evening,
    I have a problem with the wheel of the podium Ps4, I go to the old flywheel mc laren, otherwise I could not do installation.
    In short I put the basic wheel, and it walked 3 minutes then blocked!
    Forced to turn off the base then turned on, and hop 3 minutes blocked and no buttons work!
    Still, he is well on the wheel.
    So I put the flying mc laren back, and no worries!
    Where does the problem come from, the steering wheel supplied with the base?
    Thank you!
  • Good evening, I still have the problem with the DD1 PS4, I have the steering wheel that worked a week, but there is the problem again. After a while, I have all the buttons on the steering wheel that do not work, the pedals work the steering wheel turns and the force feedback works despite this problem. I am obliged to put it out in order to be able to walk the buttons again! Do you have an idea of ​​the problem? The installation is up to date. Thank you