Podium Wheel Bases (and Racing Wheels) discussion

Comments

• where's the software? i thought ti would be out by now
  • lee said:
    where's the software? i thought ti would be out by now
    slowly slowly my padawan, if you rush these things, the OSW plokers would have a field day......  8->
  • For you guys having trouble getting games to recognize the podium wheel, you have to change to compatability mode which makes the wheel show up as a CSW v2.5
  • We are aware of the issue, and I apologise for the inconvenience. It will be resolved in the next driver update, which should be available by the end of the month. It is possible that a firmware fix can be rolled out sooner, but I don't have an ETA at this time. For now, we suggest either rolling back to the previous firmware (if it wasn't causing a specific problem for you), or to connect the pedals via USB (if you are on PC).
    Any word on which driver will have the fix?

I'm on 334 and there are no change logs supplied with 335, you only get the MSI-file. (which raises the question: does anyone at Fanatec keep a log?)
  • My kill switch has stopped locking in the off position.

https://youtu.be/dywy_pGMk70

has anybody else had this?

• My DD1 doesn't send power to my formula rim anymore, so i can't shift or press any buttons. Tried with a CSL base and it works fine.. Anyone have or fix this problem?

Did you get it sorted Paul, if so, how ? And if not what was your work around ?
  • Paul WalkerPaul Walker Member
    edited May 2019

My kill switch has stopped locking in the off position.

Nope... contacted support, sent link to the vid... waiting for a secondary response now.

No workaround it still works to shut the DD2 off in an emergency but does not lock off any more to stop tiny hands turning it on. The on/off illuminated switch still works and so does the power switch at the back.

Nope... contacted support, sent link to the vid... waiting for a secondary response now.

No workaround it still works to shut the DD2 off in an emergency but does not lock off any more to stop tiny hands turning it on. The on/off illuminated switch still works and so does the power switch at the back.
    I know its gonna sound really bazzar and will probably have nothing to do with it, but do you think having the E-Stop upside down may have something to do with it, maybe a clip or something may have slipped a lil too far down/up ? Try it the other way n see what happens, just a hunch
    edited May 2019

My kill switch has stopped locking in the off position.

I know its gonna sound really bazzar and will probably have nothing to do with it, but do you think having the E-Stop upside down may have something to do with it, maybe a clip or something may have slipped a lil too far down/up ? Try it the other way n see what happens, just a hunch
    Maybe it was already damaged in transit as when the courier delivered it, the box was left by them in my porch upside down.... or perhaps it was not kept perfectly upright during the many trucks and air freight journeys. Geez, they'll have to be much more careful if they send a replacement switch.

p.s. I know you are only trying to help.
  • Getting ridiculous now, support have had the video for a few days and got back to me asking what happens if I turn the red cap clockwise... and does it work then? … for the love of god, is the video not clear enough?
  • Getting ridiculous now, support have had the video for a few days and got back to me asking what happens if I turn the red cap clockwise... and does it work then? … for the love of god, is the video not clear enough?
    Keep pushing at them
    edited May 2019
    Getting ridiculous now, support have had the video for a few days and got back to me asking what happens if I turn the red cap clockwise... and does it work then? … for the love of god, is the video not clear enough?
    Keep pushing at them
    not much point. not sure what they are trying to prove.

Edit: They have opened up an RMA with return... I will await further instructions, but expect a spare part to arrive with a returns label for the defective part.
  • I keep hearing people say the podium force feedback is butter smooth. When racing in don't notice any form of cogging really, but when in menus or when the podium is off, I can feel cogging from the magnets. I suspect this is normal but had not expected it considering all the smooth like butter references. Also when the unit is off, and I spin the wheel around with a tiny bit of effort , it seems like you can either hear the magnets or bearings make a whirring noise. Is that normal? Don't recall if my previous dd1 before the rma had that.
  • Is there any advantage to using PC mode on DD1 vs Comp V.2.5 mode? Seems like all games work in comp mode, while a lot don't in PC mode. The manual says there's no performance penalty, so why use PC mode at all?
  • Mike Mar said:
    Is there any advantage to using PC mode on DD1 vs Comp V.2.5 mode? Seems like all games work in comp mode, while a lot don't in PC mode. The manual says there's no performance penalty, so why use PC mode at all?
    It just toggles the wheel's device ID for USB, so everything including fanatec's driver thinks it's a CSWv2.5.  Once games start supporting the DD's natively, they'll likely have unique FFB profiles based on the huge dynamic range these provide. So eventually when games recognize the DD, it may provide some advantages for ingame defaults.
  • Psql .Psql . Member
    I keep hearing people say the podium force feedback is butter smooth. When racing in don't notice any form of cogging really, but when in menus or when the podium is off, I can feel cogging from the magnets. I suspect this is normal but had not expected it considering all the smooth like butter references. Also when the unit is off, and I spin the wheel around with a tiny bit of effort , it seems like you can either hear the magnets or bearings make a whirring noise. Is that normal? Don't recall if my previous dd1 before the rma had that.
    All that is very normal with electric motors and it's also not cogging like people normally talk about. You only notice it when the base is off or not doing anything. Turn some random brushless motor and you will notice the same and if you turn the motor faster it also makes whirring noises. Also CSL bases do this but you will not notice it that direct because of the extra gearing in the drive train of the base and the motor is way smaller.

But turn the wheel on and I don't have any of the magnets catching the anker feeling and it's very smooth and it's also very silent compared to the CSL Base.
  • any update on the software? i thought we'd have a beta version in May
  • edited June 2019
    I opened a case regarding slack in the quick release on my DD2 and poor finish on one of the carbon covers

This is what I sent Monday 20/5:
    "Hi, the quick release is very loose on my DD2, I have installed the steering wheel correctly with the locking ring in a CW direction to the back of the shaft and tightened the locking ring properly after installing the steering wheel, but there is still a lot of slack (see video) on my CSW 2.5 I have no slack not even without the bolt installed (I have always used the bolt on my CSW 2.5 to avoid developing slack) watch video of the steering wheel installer on CSW 2.5 (this is without bolt) no slack I also have two different surfaces on my carbon covers, the top and the left are smooth, but the right side is matt / rough This is not easy to see on the video, but you hear it if you turn up the volume Files too large so had to be uploaded to YouTube, Let me know when you've seen them and I'll remove them 

And after two days on Wednesday 22/5 I got this answer:

thank you for your enquiry.

If you take a look at the first video that shows the play of the quick release you will see that it´s not the problem of the base but of the rim.

The black aluminum ring of the rim pulls back. Do you have a second that you can test?

Regarding the carbon side cover: Is it possible that on the side where the surface is different that the cover just does not exist?

Is it somewhere in the package content?

And then I answered this:

Excuse me, but if the carbon cover was missing I would have seen it, but I made a new video

can you see the carbon cover now?

Yes I see the black ring going out due to flexing in the outer part of the shaft on the steering wheel

Is there a fault on my 918 RSR steering wheel?

And why doesn't it flex on my CSW 2.5 base?

I also made a video of my formula steering wheel
    here the ring does not move out / in but you can see it flexing

Two days after Friday 24/5 I sent this:

Hello again,

There is definitely something wrong with this quick release

Because now, it is almost impossible to move the locking ring, the threads are broken and this is possibly why I have not been able to tighten enough to get rid of the slack in my wheels?

And a new video to show the problem

And on Saturday 25/5 I got this answer:

I have opened a repair rma for you.

Our webshop will inform you by email about further details.

Thank you for your patience.

So on Monday 27/5 I received this mail:

Please be so kind to send back to our address the defective product (Podium Wheel Base DD2) for repair in accordance with the instructions listed below:

If you have moved, please update your address information in your Fanatec webshop account and inform us via email
    Write the RMA number ******* clearly visible on the package 
    Send the product including all package content, properly secured  by using the original packaging materials if possible 
    Please use attached UPS label and proforma invoice
    Dispatch your package at the nearest UPS store or contact UPS to arrange a collection
    Please consider that customers carry any taxes, handling and/or duty fees imposed by their country on imported products

As soon as the goods arrived at our Service Centre, they will be repaired by the earliest convenience and will be sent back.

Then I answered this:

Hi,
    It will be much faster and easier if you can send me a new quick release and the right carbon cover so I can change it myself, then I can send the broken parts back to you if you want to inspect them
    Because UPS does not pick up where I live so I have to send it by post to the UPS (about 100 KM from where I live) and it takes more time and costs more money in shipping

And on Friday 31/5 I got this answer:

this is not possible unfortunately.

This product is new and we have to check the issues immediately. Therefore the exchange of the parts is not easy.

Thank you for your understanding.

And then I answered this:
    Okay, so I'll send you the Quick Release and carbon cover?
    No need to send the steering wheel base as there is nothing wrong with it
    And if you want me to send the steering wheel base then explain to me what you need this for ??

I haven't got an answer to this yet, but I think it's time to give up and just send everything
    Call UPS on Monday to know where to send and send it by mail there, think it will cost 30-50 euros

I also contacted suport 29/5 regarding my 918 RSR steering wheel as they say there is something wrong with it, but have not received any answer ..

I sent my DD2 for repair in earlier today, and when I got home I had two new emails from fanatec suport:

"thank you for your reply. As my colleague ****** is not at his office, I will take over this case. The RMA has been initiated to check the podium wheelbase and not only the quick release. We also do not have the quick release available as spare part at the moment.

We kindly ask you to send us the podium wheelbase including all cables, power supply and all parts in the original package to be able replace the podium wheelbase with a new on if needed"

Then one from another suport employee:

"Thank you for your reply. As my colleague ****** is out of office now, I am going to take over his requests meanwhile.

I initiated a new "send spare part" RMA. Please ignore the e-mail and the information you received for RM*******

So you only need to send the quick release mechanism of the wheel base and the right side base cover. Please take the quick release off the wheel base very carefully, the main cable inside the main axle must not be damaged.

You will receive a new shipping label and a new RMA number as soon as possible. Please inform me as soon as you sent out the parts, then we directly can send out the replacement parts to you"

One says they don't have quick release as a spare part, ok how can they change it then ??
    While the other says they should send me a new one as soon as I send the broken one

This really starts to get frustrating

I replied to both that my DD2 was already sent by mail to UPS and that I had received mali from two and that they had to communicate among themselves

2-3 hours later I received a mail from the Fanatec webshop with a the RMA for replacement parts..

Wondering when I get my DD2 back. 2-3 weeks maybe more ??
    and i really hope they have spare parts ..
  • Weird fan Issue on start up, it's the second time it's happened now, If I turn the base off after and restart it then it goes back to normal but it's still concerning
  • Weird fan Issue on start up, it's the second time it's happened now, If I turn the base off after and restart it then it goes back to normal but it's still concerning
    I also had this several times.. Its reported and under investigation afaik, most likely a firmware issue.
  • Hello dear Fanaticer,
    the torque release via the button is in my eyes quite nonsense. Apart from the fact that it is a bit annoying, there is the dongle on the one hand, on the other hand it doesn't really work as a security aspect. If you deliberately don't release the dongle by pressing a button, because you let your son drive, then you can release it unconsciously at a later time. If the button is assigned to a function which is called up while driving, then the torque release is also given. In my opinion this should be abolished, because it is a deceptive safety.

Grüße Frank

• edited June 2019
    Hello dear Fanaticer,
    the torque release via the button is in my eyes quite nonsense. Apart from the fact that it is a bit annoying, there is the dongle on the one hand, on the other hand it doesn't really work as a security aspect. If you deliberately don't release the dongle by pressing a button, because you let your son drive, then you can release it unconsciously at a later time. If the button is assigned to a function which is called up while driving, then the torque release is also given. In my opinion this should be abolished, because it is a deceptive safety.

Grüße Frank

Fanatec has to protect themselves from potential Law suits... Some one will deliberately or Foolishly Misuse the wheel then want to cry to a lawyer about it... So its Very Necessary.
  • Ryan DlugoszRyan Dlugosz Member
    edited June 2019
    Anyone else have an issue where the Podium shows up twice in the Windows 10 Game Controllers settings app? Also, I see the wheel twice in the controls config for AC. Even had some trouble getting AC/ACC/PCars2 to recognize the new wheel until I first deleted the existing config files, which I'm thinking might be related to the duplicate controller.

I had uninstalled/reinstalled the driver software (v335) and still see the duplicate. Wheel seems to work perfectly fine and haven't had any issues getting it configured in iRacing, so hard to tell if this is just a cosmetic bug in the driver setup or if it's something that actually causes issues for some titles.
  • Anyone else have an issue where the Podium shows up twice in the Windows 10 Game Controllers settings app? Also, I see the wheel twice in the controls config for AC. Even had some trouble getting AC/ACC/PCars2 to recognize the new wheel until I first deleted the existing config files, which I'm thinking might be related to the duplicate controller.

I had uninstalled/reinstalled the driver software (v335) and still see the duplicate. Wheel seems to work perfectly fine and haven't had any issues getting it configured in iRacing, so hard to tell if this is just a cosmetic bug in the driver setup or if it's something that actually causes issues for some titles.
    That is NO issue and totally intended. It's like this since CSW v2.5 some years ago... It's because one usb device can't handle all these advanced features of the wheel bases, therefore two USB entries are necessary.
  • That is NO issue and totally intended. It's like this since CSW v2.5 some years ago... It's because one usb device can't handle all these advanced features of the wheel bases, therefore two USB entries are necessary.
    Ah - makes sense. Thanks!
  • So there isn't going to be a hot fix for the 50% brake pressure? We have to wait for the podium software? Or is reverting to an earlier driver the "hot fix" ?
    edited June 2019
    So there isn't going to be a hot fix for the 50% brake pressure? We have to wait for the podium software? Or is reverting to an earlier driver the "hot fix" ?

https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/778/fanatec-beta-driver-v336-for-csl-csw-and-podium-bases-all-wheels#latest

(scroll to top for download)

1. Fixed Brake force calculation on Podium Bases
    2. Additional methods to acknowledge the torque messages of Podium Bases:
    - all buttons can now acknowledge the messages
    - turning the wheel to 90° either side can unlock the messages too
    - a bar next to the "ok" text shows how long you have to hold it at 90°
    3. Adjusted DRI strenght for CSW V2.5
    4. Added Flag LED support to CSW V2.0 and CSL E WB (games and third party software needs to update our SDK).
    5. Various improvements
  • podium software?
  • edited June 2019
    So there isn't going to be a hot fix for the 50% brake pressure? We have to wait for the podium software? Or is reverting to an earlier driver the "hot fix" ?

https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/778/fanatec-beta-driver-v336-for-csl-csw-and-podium-bases-all-wheels#latest

2. Additional methods to acknowledge the torque messages of Podium Bases:
    4. Added Flag LED support to CSW V2.0 and CSL E WB (games and third party software needs to update our SDK).
    5. Various improvements

2. Additional methods to acknowledge the torque messages of Podium Bases:
    5. Various improvements
    Thx!!! /me does a little happy dance  [EDIT] OK, not did anything for my brakes. Still like a non load-cell brake.

lee said:
    podium software?

The next diver/software suite, which they don't have a name for yet, should unlock a bit more potential from the DD wheel.