Fanatec Beta Driver V336 for CSL, CSW and Podium Bases (all wheels)

Comments

• edited June 2019
    I have Not felt this Notchy feel in any of the FW... This is with the CSW v2.5 and Now with the DD2.... Last time I Noted this fact It was mentioned that I don't feel it because I don't use on wheel FFB at 100%...This is true I adjust In Game settings and set the Game Gain/GM FFB at 100% most games Ex: Pcars2, Race Room... Some Games Ex: 75% ACC and AC... then adjust On wheel FFB to get the desired at the wheel FFB strength that I want... In both cases the Subtle FFB feel is identical so its just a matter to set the On wheel FFB so the Wheel weight while cornering feels right to you.....

Last time I tested with game FFB ~30% and On wheel 100% the Notchy FFB immediately became very Notable....
    then I went back to My normal settings Higher GM FFB 75 to 100% depending on game with On wheel ~30 to 35% the notchy FFB feel was not present at All.

My Conclusion is Maybe its the Must use 100% on wheel FFB rule that Most Follow that's causing the Notchy feel issue....This should be investigated and a New Updated fact sheet explaining how to best set on wheel FFB should be posted if the Must use On wheel 100% rule is found to be out dated.

Edit: Because the Subtle FFB feel is Identical in both cases On wheel 100% vs On wheel 30% and Only the Strong High Nm cornering forces are Less/Capped at where On wheel FFB is set the Must use 100% on wheel or you lose Dynamic FFB range seems to be False.... With the DD2 I set on wheel so wheel stays ~12Nm Max and all feels Great... For Me anything over 12 Nm is just too strong.
  • I have a 2.5 and I am also experiencing the problem of teeth, I noticed that it happens at power up, if you restart the steering wheel a second time it immediately disappears, this with:
    Driver 336 Firmware base 656 Motor firmware 22 I tried to install the firmware 18 of the engine, more electrical noise is heard but the problem no longer occurs.
  • Steven HallSteven Hall Member
    edited June 2019
    I have performed my testing and here are my conclusions/observations

Wheel Base Model (product ID): CSL Elite Wheelbase + officially licensed PS4

Steering Wheel Model (product ID): CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 (PS4™​ version)

Driver Version: v311
    Base FW Version: v476
    Wheel FW Version: v18 = GOOD, v22 = NOTCHY

Driver Version: v328
    Base FW Version: v630

Driver Version: v332
    Base FW Version: v642

Driver Version: v336
    Base FW Version: v656

Tested on:
    Assetto Corsa - Gain = 70% all other setting either off or 0% as recommended within the "Racing Games" section of these forums - also same car, track, car set-up and conditions

Wheel Settings:
    SEN = 108, FF = 100, SHO = 100, ABS = Off, DRI = -5, -2 & 5 (tried all 3 in all versions and made no difference), FOR = 100, SPR = 100, DPR = 100, BRF = 060, FEI = 070.

Observations:
    I have been following the beta program thread since v311 and since the reports of "Notchy" I thought I was not experiencing the issue until last night.  I thought it was just the tyres "bouncing" across the road as this feeling in the steering wheel was always there and assumed it was just enhanced with the new wheel drivers and firmware.

What changed for me was before last night I used to have the "locked to horizon" setting which meant that my view movements were not in "sync" with the car (the car would move around me when hitting a bump but my view remained on the horizon).  By unlocking the view (when the car hit a bump my view would move in sync with the car) this allowed me to see when I hit a bump, tyre bouncing, car became unstable, etc.

From this point I could clearly see and feel the difference for when the tyres were "bumping" across the road.  With Motor v18 this was in Sync but and with Motor v22 I had the original "bumping" but on all corners the wheel was "notchy"/"bumping but they do not match up with the cars movements but felt very similar.

Now I can see/feel it I can no longer un-see/un-feel it.

The only negative with v18 is that the Motor does not sound as smooth, when calibrating it hits its stops harder and there is a jolt in the wheel when first powering on the unit

Hope this makes sense.

• Wheelbase : DD1
    Wheel : McLaren GT3
    Pedals : CS V3

Driver : 336
    Firmware : 656
    WB motor: 30
    Steering Wheel :30

Still not getting full range from the brake pedal, when connected to the DD1 base?
  • Wheelbase : DD1
    Wheel : McLaren GT3
    Pedals : CS V3

Driver : 336
    Firmware : 656
    WB motor: 30
    Steering Wheel :30

Still not getting full range from the brake pedal, when connected to the DD1 base?
    The setting has been inverted You Now have to set the brF to Lo Now to get Maxim Brake Pedal Travel to get to 100% or Set it to Hi to reduce Brake pedal Travel to get to 100% Brake Force.... I use Lo and it seems to be working pretty accurate for Me. Windows 10/64bit, DD2, CSP v3i
  • Doug JacobsDoug Jacobs Member
    edited June 2019
    I didn't have time to test with multiple base firmwares yet, but just downgrading to WB motor 18 seems to have completely eliminated the notchy feeling. It's been a long time since I remember my wheel feeling this good!

CSW V2.5
    PC Driver: 336
    Wheel Base Firmware: 656
    Wheel Base Motor: 18
  • Not a specific problem with this beta firmware but since we are discussing the LED shift lights I thought I would ask the question. Why do the LEDs work in ACC on all the Fanatec wheelbases except for the CSL Elite wheelbase? In addition, The LED shift lights work on most other sims that I have tried eg Raceroom. What is different in the Fanatec SDK for the CSL Elite that makes Kunos unable to get them working?
    I'll take a look but normally the CSL Elite bas copies the LEDs from the steering wheel if the game doesn't address them specifically. Could be an issue of the game if it addresses them with nothing.
    Thanks. Sounds like that is what is happening since the steering wheel LED works whereas the wheelbase doesn't. Even the display of gears and speed workes correctly.
  • edited June 2019
    Hello everyone and thanks for your input. New CSL Elite PS4 owner here. I have asked in several threads of this forum and yet to have a reply on how you can downgrade a firmware of the motor/wheel. I mean, downgrading the driver is just removing newer version and installing the previous one, right?

What about firmware downgrade?
  • Hello everyone and thanks for your input. New CSL Elite PS4 owner here. I have asked in several threads of this forum and yet to have a reply on how you can downgrade a firmware of the motor/wheel. I mean, downgrading the driver is just removing newer version and installing the previous one, right?

If you install the older driver (indeed uninstall current driver and install the one you want to use), on the Update tab you can install wheel base and motor firmware. It will install the default version that comes with the driver, i.e. the older version.
  • Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator
    i've just recreated the issue 
    base fw 656 
    motor fw 22
    driver package 336
    forza motorsport 7 xbox one
    at the game launch the wheel makes a new check (like when i start the wheel base) but much much more violent. after that here we are: welcome notchy feel.
    I tried the same thing but with the 651 wb fw and nothing happen. I belive that this issue happens every time the engine has a peak of power, just like it happened to me with the motorsport force check and, in fact, with the settings of jack spades in project cars 2.
    So in theory when you would reduce FF to 70% and drive with it even with the most recent firmware the issue should not happen
    As far as I'm concerned, in all tests that i made in last two hours the problem is in the motor firmware.
    Every time i run with the motor firmware 22 i gain in silence but i lost smoothness and welcome notchy feel as well, after some peak of power. So for me now the sweet spot is:
    Driver 336
    Wheel base fw: 656
    Motor fw: 18
    I hope this can help you to solve this issue.
    If you can really nail it down to motor firmware 22 this will help a lot.
    As far as I'm concerned, in all tests that i made in last two hours the problem is in the motor firmware.
    Every time i run with the motor firmware 22 i gain in silence but i lost smoothness and welcome notchy feel as well, after some peak of power. So for me now the sweet spot is:
    Driver 336
    Hi all. I am reading all your comments on this problem. Now this notch sensation is also felt in the CSL Elite PS4 bases that I own. It is known that these 2 bases carry the same components. According to what Antonio says, the problem is in the engine where CSW 2.5 and Csl ps4 use the same fw v22.
    My question is: should we go down to fw v18 to solve this problem?
    Yes please go back to motor firmware v18 and let us know if it helped.

Tested on:
    Assetto Corsa - Gain = 70% all other setting either off or 0% as recommended within the "Racing Games" section of these forums - also same car, track, car set-up and conditions

Wheel Settings:
    SEN = 108, FF = 100, SHO = 100, ABS = Off, DRI = -5, -2 & 5 (tried all 3 in all versions and made no difference), FOR = 100, SPR = 100, DPR = 100, BRF = 060, FEI = 070.

Observations:
    I have been following the beta program thread since v311 and since the reports of "Notchy" I thought I was not experiencing the issue until last night.  I thought it was just the tyres "bouncing" across the road as this feeling in the steering wheel was always there and assumed it was just enhanced with the new wheel drivers and firmware.

What changed for me was before last night I used to have the "locked to horizon" setting which meant that my view movements were not in "sync" with the car (the car would move around me when hitting a bump but my view remained on the horizon).  By unlocking the view (when the car hit a bump my view would move in sync with the car) this allowed me to see when I hit a bump, tyre bouncing, car became unstable, etc.

From this point I could clearly see and feel the difference for when the tyres were "bumping" across the road.  With Motor v18 this was in Sync but and with Motor v22 I had the original "bumping" but on all corners the wheel was "notchy"/"bumping but they do not match up with the cars movements but felt very similar.

The only negative with v18 is that the Motor does not sound as smooth, when calibrating it hits its stops harder and there is a jolt in the wheel when first powering on the unit

Hope this makes sense.

Very helpful feedback, thanks a lot. Could you recognize a difference in settings so for example different FFB strength, Drift mode or FEI causing it?
  • Akeem DorsetAkeem Dorset Member
    edited June 2019
    I’ve done some back to back and back and forth testing and unsurprisingly, my results line up with everyone else’s. While motor fw 18 does have that annoying coil whine, it does solve the somewhat solve the notchy issue. I tried all possible firmware and driver combinations with default wheel settings and my own custom settings and my results were consistently the same. Every combination worked beautifully with MotorFW V18. It was after I installed FW v22 on each that the notchy feeling appeared. While motor FW v18 is a little rough around the edges and may not be as refined as v22, it seems as though motor fw v18 eliminates the notchy feel. It does however have its imperfections, like that jolt on startup etc....
  • i've just recreated the issue 
    base fw 656 
    motor fw 22
    driver package 336
    at the game launch the wheel makes a new check (like when i start the wheel base) but much much more violent. after that here we are: welcome notchy feel.
    I tried the same thing but with the 651 wb fw and nothing happen. I belive that this issue happens every time the engine has a peak of power, just like it happened to me with the motorsport force check and, in fact, with the settings of jack spades in project cars 2.
    So in theory when you would reduce FF to 70% and drive with it even with the most recent firmware the issue should not happen
    i also tried to reduce ff to 70%, even to 50%, when notchy appears, it still remains at all ff levels.
    i'm pretty sure it's motor firmware. And please, if you have the possibility, try to solve that violent jolt on launch of forza motorsport 7 on xbox; it really scares me :D
    i've just recreated the issue 
    base fw 656 
    motor fw 22
    driver package 336
    i also tried to reduce ff to 70%, even to 50%, when notchy appears, it still remains at all ff levels.
    i'm pretty sure it's motor firmware. And please, if you have the possibility, try to solve that violent jolt on launch of forza motorsport 7 on xbox; it really scares me :D
    Did you also try with reduced strength from the beginning, I'm curious the issue only appears when the base is maxed out. I'm not sure if we can fix it or Forza has to because the wheel just reacts to a FFB command it gets but we will try and see. 
  • edited June 2019
    sorry but i don't know because i don't set it too low. I usually drive at 100% in wheel settings and i set strenght from softwares. On yesterday's tests i lower ff at a min of 50% and the issue appears as usual with motor fw 22
  • Hello everyone and thanks for your input. New CSL Elite PS4 owner here. I have asked in several threads of this forum and yet to have a reply on how you can downgrade a firmware of the motor/wheel. I mean, downgrading the driver is just removing newer version and installing the previous one, right?

If you install the older driver (indeed uninstall current driver and install the one you want to use), on the Update tab you can install wheel base and motor firmware. It will install the default version that comes with the driver, i.e. the older version.
    Thanks for your reply. When changing to a different driver, both motor and wheel firmwares are changed? Also, somewhere along this thread I came across the two zipped files that include .hex for CSW v2.5. Are there separate versions for CSL?
  • Use version 326, no notch for me there. These reports of it is why I haven't used any released drivers/firmware beyond that.
    No need either as the wheel F12018 and CSL elite+ work great.
    Great, everybodys reports seem to align with my own experience on motor firmware 18 that I have stuck with since the driver 326, base 589 and wheel FW 21 package came out.
  • Steven HallSteven Hall Member
    edited June 2019

Tested on:

Wheel Settings:

Observations:

Hope this makes sense.

Very helpful feedback, thanks a lot. Could you recognize a difference in settings so for example different FFB strength, Drift mode or FEI causing it?
    Hi,

I have done further testing based on the question asked and I have observed:

DRI (Drift Mode) 005 to -05 - This had no effect on the issue.
    FEI 100 - 0 - No effect on the force of the "notchy" feeling however the lower this setting the clearer the "notchy" issue was.  It reduced some of the other feedback through the wheel.
    FF 100 - 055 - The "notchy" sensation reduced with this setting, it is like a linear scale of reduction (high at 100 and reduced with each point) - at 55 the natural wheel friction from the mechanics started taking over so it became hard to judge.

My Test:

Wheel FW Version: v18 then v22

Tested on:

Wheel Settings:
    Tested in the following order
    I tested these setting with v18 first then repeated with v22 then repeated the whole test again.
    v18 the "notchy" was not there in any setting.

The following is the answers from v22

FF = 100, DRI = -2, FEI = 70 (my baseline)
    FF = 100, DRI = -5, FEI = 70 - No difference
    FF = 100, DRI = 5, FEI = 70 - No difference
    FF = 100, DRI = -2, FEI = 100 - No difference
    FF = 100, DRI = -2, FEI = 0 - No difference
    FF = 75, DRI = -2, FEI = 70 - Notchy reduced with force
    Kept reducing FF until loss of sensation (circa 55)
    I then for every FF, FEI, DRI I set them to either Min or Max and changed one of the other settings at a time through there full range.  (eg, FF = 100, FEI = 100 then tested each setting for DRI from -5 to 5,  I did this for all three).

Additional notes of observations:
    As I performed a lot of laps in the same conditions and I noticed I was about 1 second faster with v18 so performed the following test for both v18 and v22.

FF = 100, DRI = -2, FEI = 70.
    50 laps for each motor version

v18, Fastest Lap time = 1:18.006, average = 1:18.934 Spins/Off track = 2
    v22, Fastest Lap time = 1:18.952, average = 1:19.854 Spins/Off track = 9

v18 just felt more responsive and precise to what I was seeing on the screen.

Kind regards,

@ Steven Hall
    Did you test those different settings before the notching occurred to see if different settings trigger it or not or did you just try after the notching started to see if it changes something? Because how I understand it as soon is it's there you can't do anything but restart, what I would like to know is what causes it to happen.
  • As far as I'm concerned, in all tests that i made in last two hours the problem is in the motor firmware.
    Driver 336
    Hi all. I am reading all your comments on this problem. Now this notch sensation is also felt in the CSL Elite PS4 bases that I own. It is known that these 2 bases carry the same components. According to what Antonio says, the problem is in the engine where CSW 2.5 and Csl ps4 use the same fw v22.
    My question is: should we go down to fw v18 to solve this problem?
    Yes please go back to motor firmware v18 and let us know if it helped.
    Hello Marcel, last night I did my tests and I have the same results that Steven is definitely the Fw v22 engine that brings these problems with all the drivers presented but at the time of testing with the Fw v18 this problem of I never saw him again but what pleased me is very happy, for me the best combination is:
    Driver version: v336
    Base version of FW: v656
    FW version of the wheel: v18

Greetings.
    You Now have to set the brF to... get Maxim Brake
    Thx. Knowing where to go to tweak the setting helped. I would have thought the feel would be the same, but maybe it was from having the recommended settings on the base.
  • @ Steven Hall
    Did you test those different settings before the notching occurred to see if different settings trigger it or not or did you just try after the notching started to see if it changes something? Because how I understand it as soon is it's there you can't do anything but restart, what I would like to know is what causes it to happen.
    Hi,

I repeated the tests and have found the following.

The only way to reset and remove the "notchy" is to completely discharge the power from the unit (power brick full discharge).
    I performed this action between every test.

For v22 - Every setting FF 60 to 100, DRI -5 to 5, FEI 0* (see below for this) to 100, and any combination of them all caused the wheel to go "notchy".

For FEI at 0 there is some additional information.  When the FEI is set to 0 then the unit is fully powered down, when it is rebooted and a game is loaded (Assetto Corsa for me) there is ZERO Force Feedback.  Changing the FEI to 10 the FFB instantly returns, Changing back to 0 the FFB remains.  

A key point for this is that the "notchy" feel is instantly there.

I performed this test on v18 and the exact same thing happened and it was also "Notchy".  Any other setting for FEI apart from 0 in v18 there is no "notchy" feeling at all.

Note: when there was no FFB I changed all the other settings on the wheel and only the FEI change made it come back.

Hope this helps,
  • Hello,

Is it possible to have an update about a Podium DD1/DD2 known issue?
    It's about rotary encoder on the Universal Hub PC that doesn't works well on Podium DD1/DD2. Sometimes I need to turn the encoder 4 steps/click to finally be detected. This issue was confirmed one month ago. I had the hope that this bug would be solved with this driver 336.

-----------------------------
    On 7 May 2019, at 09:27, Fanatec Support <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

thank you very much for your reply and the testing.

We could reproduce the issue with several DD Wheelbases and with different steering wheels. It seems that the newest wheels that have a steering wheel firmware, like the Formula V2X or the McLaren GT3 are not affected. Only the older rims, like Formula Carbon and the UH show the malfunction.

We are pretty sure this issue can be solved with a firmware update and we are already working on it. For now I have to ask you to be patient and wait for the next update. Check our Beta Driver Forum from time to time to see if there are any new versions available for testing.

Best regards / Freundliche Grüße

Phillip M******

(Fanatec Support Team) 

Thanks to keep me posted.
  • edited June 2019
    Some news for Podium software suite ?
  • Ricardo SoshaRicardo Sosha Member
    edited June 2019
    HI, 

I’ve tested the 336 driver package with included firmware on my dd2 but I noticed that with my same exact settings the perceived strength and feedback is now reduced .

On 334 and 335 ( with included firmwares ) 

I use this settings 

F.feedb 15 

Force 100

Spr 100

Dpr 100

Nat dmp 015 

Nat fri 003

F.eff.int 60 

On the sim ( rfactor2 ) I always use total force set to 0.80 and smoothing set to 0

But now with this new 336 ( and included firmwares ) I have to use the following settings to match the strength but FFB I have with 335 ( and included firmwares ) is gone :(... I can’t obtain the same feelings with 336 compared to 335 

F.feedb 21

Force 100

Spr 100

Dpr 100

Nat dmp 020

Nat fri 007

F.eff.int 80

Please ... can you revert the ffb changes of 336 to 335 ( but  include the fix you have introduced with 336 ? 

Just to ask because i’m Not sure 

When DD2 is powered off it is normal to feel a ( gear Teeth effect ) when turn the steering wheel ? 

Sorry for my English . 

Regards . 

• Hello everybody,
    has a video already been made available?
    I am not sure if I have the same problem.
    My hardware is:
    CSL Elite base F1 for PS4
    ClupSport Wheel F1 Esports
    ClupSport Wheel F1 2019
    Currently all new firmware and drivers.

As soon as I start a game, the steering wheel locks in the middle.
    Is that notching?

regards
    Guido
  • Hello everybody,
    has a video already been made available?
    I am not sure if I have the same problem.
    My hardware is:
    CSL Elite base F1 for PS4
    ClupSport Wheel F1 Esports
    ClupSport Wheel F1 2019
    Currently all new firmware and drivers.

As soon as I start a game, the steering wheel locks in the middle.
    Is that notching?

regards
    Guido
    no my friend, for notching i mean that gearing feel when you turn slowly your wheel
    Hello,

Is it possible to have an update about a Podium DD1/DD2 known issue?
    It's about rotary encoder on the Universal Hub PC that doesn't works well on Podium DD1/DD2. Sometimes I need to turn the encoder 4 steps/click to finally be detected. This issue was confirmed one month ago. I had the hope that this bug would be solved with this driver 336.

On 7 May 2019, at 09:27, Fanatec Support <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

thank you very much for your reply and the testing.

We could reproduce the issue with several DD Wheelbases and with different steering wheels. It seems that the newest wheels that have a steering wheel firmware, like the Formula V2X or the McLaren GT3 are not affected. Only the older rims, like Formula Carbon and the UH show the malfunction.

We are pretty sure this issue can be solved with a firmware update and we are already working on it. For now I have to ask you to be patient and wait for the next update. Check our Beta Driver Forum from time to time to see if there are any new versions available for testing.

Best regards / Freundliche Grüße

Phillip M******

(Fanatec Support Team) 

Thanks to keep me posted.
    I've tried as well and have it noted. 
This discussion has been closed.