The new FORMULA CARBON rim for your ClubSport Wheel

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
edited May 2014 in Blog
It seems that some of you expected a new rim with more buttons and less expensive so what about the new Formula rim with real CARBON fiber?

The functionality is the same as in the Formula rim but the style is completely different. The 3D effect of the Carbon Fiber makes it looks different from every angle. This is pure racing style.

It also comes with exchangeable grips and we plan to offer different colour and material options in future.

Available very soon at a price of USD 249,95 (excl. tax) or € 249,95 (incl VAT)

Comments

• looks fantastic
  • Now we're talking.  :).  

Does the carbon fiber make the rim lighter???  Just wondering, as this might allow slight improvements in how the FFB is translated through the wheel and how it handles rapid steering angle changes.  

If so, I think this is definitely worth the premium over the original F1 rim.  

• This is gorgeous.  Makes me want a CSW. :(

Does the carbon fiber make the rim lighter???  Just wondering, as this might allow slight improvements in how the FFB is translated through the wheel and how it handles rapid steering angle changes.  

You can see from the pictures a thick piece of aluminum is still being used for the wheel face. Aside from replaceable grips (which saves Fanatec money in repairs/shipping), a change of buttons, and a carbon fiber overlay... it's business as usual.  

You can see from the pictures a thick piece of aluminum is still being used for the wheel face. Aside from replaceable grips (which saves Fanatec money in repairs/shipping), a change of buttons, and a carbon fiber overlay... it's business as usual.  

True, but the face plate is a large piece of metal (relatively).   Carbon fiber is significantly lighter and even a few pounds may help in steering feel.  It would be nice to know total weight of the original wheel vs this wheel. 

I'm not sure how replaceable grips would save Fanatec money in repairs/shipping?  You think they are responsible for replacing the alcantera grips??   I believe that's on you my friend.  You wear them out, you buy a new wheel or replace it yourself.  

The interchangeable grips is a great idea, to give heavy users options to swap out used grips. 
  • Not spending a dime on another Fanatec product until they release a decent F1 style wheel
  • Matthew GreenMatthew Green Member
    edited May 2014
    Not spending a dime on another Fanatec product until they release a decent F1 style wheel
    This is a decent F1 style rim, and IMO, it's better than a mere "decent" crack at it....

I think you meant to say you want a kick-ass amazing +30 button replica F1 rim. Yeah, I want that too.
  • Will MaxwellWill Maxwell Member
    edited May 2014
    I stand corrected, I own the BMW and the Formula Rim, I do want a kick-ass F1 replica wheel - Fanatec please deliver!! But please dont licence one I dont want to pay a high price tag just so it can say Ferrari or Mclaren

True, but the face plate is a large piece of metal (relatively).   Carbon fiber is significantly lighter and even a few pounds may help in steering feel.  It would be nice to know total weight of the original wheel vs this wheel. 

I'm not sure how replaceable grips would save Fanatec money in repairs/shipping?  You think they are responsible for replacing the alcantera grips??   I believe that's on you my friend.  You wear them out, you buy a new wheel or replace it yourself.  

The interchangeable grips is a great idea, to give heavy users options to swap out used grips. 
    Grips are covered under warranty, I've had Fanatec send my friend a set for his CSR and recently my Formula Rim. They even included instructions, which tells me they've dealt with it a few times before. 

My main gripe is that they've opted for an overpriced (ugly, imo) Classic wheel very few will buy and a slightly upgraded Formula rim.  By doing so, they've alienated a large majority of people who've already spent nearly grand on CSW bases and rims that have been waiting for something "new."  I love my CSW and I'm eager to give Fanatec more of my money but they're making it extremely hard for me to do. 

#firstworldproblems... for sure, but I'm still bummed... I would love a smaller diameter round rim that isn't $400/shipped. 
  • so now there's 2 rims that I don't want, this new f1 rim will feel the same whilst racing as the one I currently own
  • I think there will be more to come :)
  • Toll Ihr Pappnasen!!! Hättet ihr das Teil nich ein paar Monate früher rausbringen können??? Ich mein, Ende letztes Jahr hab ich mir das ganze CSW-Paket gegönnt und zwar mit Alles und jetzt kommt das nächste Sahneteil.
    Aber naja, nix für ungut. Es ist ja immer noch nix bekannt wegen der PS4. Aber das Teil sieht echt geil aus, Hut ab Thomas!!! ;)
  • Looks like a huge amount of design time was spent developing this wheel, very cool to see.

Mike
  • Toll Ihr Pappnasen!!! Hättet ihr das Teil nich ein paar Monate früher rausbringen können??? Ich mein, Ende letztes Jahr hab ich mir das ganze CSW-Paket gegönnt und zwar mit Alles und jetzt kommt das nächste Sahneteil.
    Aber naja, nix für ungut. Es ist ja immer noch nix bekannt wegen der PS4. Aber das Teil sieht echt geil aus, Hut ab Thomas!!! ;)
    So gesehen ist es immer der falsche Zeitpunkt etwas zu kaufen ;-)  Aber man kann die Rims  auch als Sammelobjekte ansehen und dann kann man eh nicht genug davon haben.  
  • Nice!
  • edited May 2014
    This is a teaser -  I'm sure we will see some more rims now. 
    The new F1 rim looks good just like the vintage rim. 
    I just really need a GT rim Like M.B SLS (please Thomas)...
  • Personally, I love my FANATEC products, but when the time comes to change the wheel, and if the prices are still high, probably I will turn to other brands.
    It has been over two years since I have the FANATEC, I thought that the CSW was a great product, but it is too expensive!  450€ 250 + delivery = just a crazy price to play video games
    And unfortunately your policy in matters of prices is not going in the right direction! If you were more attractive price, brand FANATEC would spread much more and be much more known around the world!
    This is my opinion, but many people think the same thing on different simracing forum  .... and that's a shame.
  • Hallo Thomas,der neue Rim ist völlig überflüssig,hätte mir lieber einen GT Rally oder einen BMW Rim der leichter ist als der alte gewünscht.
    249 Euro ist nur Geld macherei,es gibt genug Sachen auf die wir ewig warten und nicht bekommen
    1. Seid 2 oder 3 Jahren keine Tastaturhalterung für Renn Sport Cockpit
    2.Handbremse
    3. bessere Motoren für Clubsport Wheel u.s.w.
    Auf den Rim kann man gerne verzichten.

• why should this be needless?

I think
    this wheel is going to replace the old one;

and the cost differential is, in my
    opinion,  
    not very huge and also justified:

better looking….. carbon – so it must be
    lighter and this will lead to more ffb feel…… exch. Grips..)

Of course
    everyone likes to see his preference wheel.

But at
    least Fanatec 
    is going to produce a wheel
    for each common race disciplines out there everything is ok.

Fanatec  also confirmed that!  

I am
    waiting for a Rally wheel!

So gesehen ist es immer der falsche Zeitpunkt etwas zu kaufen ;-)  Aber man kann die Rims  auch als Sammelobjekte ansehen und dann kann man eh nicht genug davon haben.  

War mehr scherzhaft gemeint mit den Pappnasen, Micha. Hast auch recht mit dem falschen Zeitpunkt. Wenn ich heute einen LCD-TV kaufe, brauch ich morgen nicht mehr gucken ob ich ein aktuelles Gerät habe. Letztendlich ist es viel wichtiger, ob der ganze Kram noch auf der PS4 läuft und das steht leider immer noch nicht fest. :-?
    Wheel Rims sammeln ist bestimmt ein tolles Hobby, jedenfalls aufregender als Briefmarken sammeln, hehehe... :-j
  • ich warte auch schon sehnsüchtig auf infos zu ps4 oder xbox one
    hätte so gerne das club sport , aber habe angst das zwei monate später ein neues lenkrad kommt wo alles geht.

[-O<
  • DriveGlub kündigte mal an, dass die Fanatecs auf der PS4 laufen würden. 
    Laut pCars werden alle Wheels die auf der PS3 laufen, auch auf der PS4 unterstützt. 
    Sony selbst teilte uns auch etwas in einem Telefonat zu der GT Serie mit, die vermuten lässt (den genau wollte man sich dazu nicht äußern ) das man die Wheels weiterhin unterstütze. 
    Und Logitech twitterte, dass auch Ihre Wheels weiterhin laufen werden und daher....
    Ich Persönlich gehe davon aus, dass man die Käufer der PS4 nicht im Regen stehen lässt, so wie es den ONE Käufern gegangen ist. 
  • What we need next is a small diameter, LIGHT, simple and affordable racing wheel, with just a few buttons, alcantara covering and no paddles. This rim would be able to be used for alot of customers, and would cover so many simareas; from driving classic GT-cars, karts and le mans racers to 70s-90s Formula cars, skip barber cars, radicals and then some.
  • This is a sad week for me... a loyal customer from Fanatec. My equipment is a PWTS with a clubsport pedals (V1).

In the last few years i saved money to buy a new wheel from Fanatec and hoped that one day this fantastic company could sell a clubsport wheel + Rim ("normal" rim, light and with few buttons) from 499,95 +- This is my limit for my wallet.

With this new wheels... i think that this will never be possible. :(

Unfortunately I have to turn my attention to one TX Racing Wheel + Ferrari GTE Wheel.

Best regards
  • I would love to see a lighter GT rim. Size could be the same, but the dampening on the GT2 is too much for me. I tried it a few times, but I have to return it as I would end up using the F1 rim 99% of the time. It breaks my heart to send it back, but I better spent that money on some Clubsport Pedals or something like that. I just cant bring myself to drive something that makes me feels less in control of the car.

I would love to see a full on F1 or Portotype style wheel with some rotaries and a full on SLI Display like we see in F1. That thing would be more pricey, but as I have to return my GT2 I have some money to spare.

400€ for a full on F1 or Prototype wheel would be great and maybe something lighter for GT's, which is more affordable.

I think this is a good place to look for inspiration and it seems like most people would love to see such a full feature wheel. I know it will be a challange to keep the weight down at the same time :)
  • 'available soon' - just how soon is that? :)
  • I think there will be more to come :)
    You got that right!
  • Frank SchaulFrank Schaul Member
    edited May 2014
    Guten Morgen an alle,

also ich besitze 3 Lenkräder
    1 CSW mit F1 Rim
    1 CSW mit BMW Rim
    1 CSR Elite ,mit zusätzlichem F1 Rim dieses wir laut Fanatec nicht mehr gelistet WARUM eigentlich.
    Aber was mich am meisten stört ist die Tatsache das die Lenkräder weder an der PS4 noch an der One funtzen. Sei mal die One dahingestellt aber auf der PS4 stört es mich am meisten, da ich leidenschaftlicher GT und F1 Fahrer bin. Wenn die Sachlage in Richtung Neuentwicklung geht bin ich ziemlich Sauer da ich verdammt viel Geld jetzt reingesteckt habe. Desweiteren findet man kein konkreten Angaben ob es überhaupt gehen sollte. Seid dem 1 Tag an besitze ich die PS4 und kann bisehr nur Updates fahren und sie steht hier als Briefbeschwerer rum da es bis zum heutigem Tage noch nicht einmal ein Rennspiel gibt. DANKE sage ich da nur. Würde mich echt mal über ein echtes Statement von Fanatec freuen wie es in dieser Richtung weiter geht.

Bin echt nicht gewillt mir noch weitere Produkte zu kaufen, Sorry auch wenn Fanatec in meinen Augen unschlagbar ist, aber das nenne ich keine Vernünftigen Support gegenüber denen die soviel Geld bezahlt haben.
    Sieht zwar auf dem Bild noch unaufgeräumt aus ist aber alles Fertig :)

• Attila UjvariAttila Ujvari Member
    edited May 2014
    Wenn das Carbon nur eine geklebte 0,5 mm Schicht ist, wie damals beim CSR-Elite Wheel, dann sind meiner Meinung nach 70 Euro Preisdifferenz zum normalen Formula Wheel nicht gerechtfertig.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Frank.
     Du erwartest jetzt ernsthaft eine Erklärung oder gar Entschuldigung von uns warum es für die PS4 noch keine Rennspiele gibt ?