Warning, Advanced Paddle Module On Universal Hub.

Warning, if you bought the Podium Advanced Paddle Module for attaching to a Universal Hub and try to attach them in the further away position 2 bolt holes as shown in the manual the included bolts are too long and will contact and probably damage the logic board inside, not only that but might cause an electric shock. This is totally unacceptable on Fanatec’s part. If you want it in that position you will have to use a few washers not included. How this got past testing and there’s no warning in the manual I do not know so thought I’d let people know if they intend on using them this way. Photo here with the bolts still at least a few millimetres from fully tightened, if I do fully tighten them they will hit the board and continue to tighten into it..

Comments

• Here’s another photo, the bolt end is touching the board and I can and still need to tighten some more.
  • edited June 2019
    Thanks for the info. Fanatec has discovered the issue themselves just recently as well and has taken measures. The implemented solution is to use M5x12 bolts instead of the current M5x16. For current module owners running into this issue (which BTW only happens for these two mounting positions), also switching to M5x12 bolts is advised.

People who own this hardware combination and have issues with this or have questions about the solution, please contact Fanatec Support.
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    To add further clarification:

- There is no risk of an electric shock (max voltage is 5VDC, like USB devices).
    - Not all units are affected.
    - Using M5x12 (ISO 4762) bolts is the permanent solution, and will be included in future batches of this product.
    - These bolts will also be sent to existing customers.
  • Thanks for the info. Fanatec has discovered the issue themselves just recently as well and has taken measures. The implemented solution is to use M5x12 bolts instead of the current M5x16. For current module owners running into this issue (which BTW only happens for these two mounting positions), also switching to M5x12 bolts is advised.

People who own this hardware combination and have issues with this or have questions about the solution, please contact Fanatec Support.
    Wonder if they discovered it from my post on the Facebook group, either way it’s good they are not ignoring it. As stated in my post I know the current bolts will be fine for the Position 1 on the hub, but if using Position 2 and you don’t check where the bolt is going and just assume that Fanatec gave you the correct bolts this will cause damage to the board so as I hadn’t seen anyone mention this issue I’m just bringing it to attention to help people.
  • Gavin DaviesGavin Davies Member
    edited June 2019
    <<blockquote class="Quote">
    To add further clarification:

- There is no risk of an electric shock (max voltage is 5VDC, like USB devices).
    - Using M5x12 (ISO 4762) bolts is the permanent solution, and will be included in future batches of this product.

It might not be a large electric shock and I didn’t suggest it would be, but I don’t see how no shock is possible if the bolt breaks the board, is there a mechanism in place to detect and shut it off? Besides that thanks for taking measures to help prevent this in the future and for shipping out the shorter replacement bolts to existing customers.
  • To add further clarification:

I bought the proper bolts in Stainless steel within 1hr of receiving My APM shifter sets ... Total Cost $2.50... I say Fanatec should Email the already shipped orders and ask if the bolts are Needed... Inform and provide the New Recommended bolt size.... It makes No sense for Fanatec to spend $$$ Shipping bolts to people who don't Need them....Maybe just give the cost of the bolts in a voucher or something.... Free F1 2019 code... Shipping bolts to every 1 who may not Need them is just a Huge waste of $$$ that could be used to fund more R&D, cut product cost etc.
  • To add further clarification:

I bought the proper bolts in Stainless steel within 1hr of receiving My APM shifter sets ... Total Cost $2.50... I say Fanatec should Email the already shipped orders and ask if the bolts are Needed... Inform and provide the New Recommended bolt size.... It makes No sense for Fanatec to spend $$$ Shipping bolts to people who don't Need them....Maybe just give the cost of the bolts in a voucher or something.... Free F1 2019 code... Shipping bolts to every 1 who may not Need them is just a Huge waste of $$$ that could be used to fund more R&D, cut product cost etc.

Car manufacturers recall thousands and thousands of vehicles for far larger more expensive issues again and again, posting 4 bolts to the probably not a massive amount of people who have bought the APM so far by second class post or whatever won’t effect Fanatec anywhere near the ridiculous amount you are suggesting, and Fanatec are doing right by the customers and you are complaining about that. Stop with this nonsense you are playing just to make a point that’s only bad for the consumer not good.
  • edited June 2019
    Gavin Davies said: Car manufacturers recall thousands and thousands of vehicles for far larger more expensive issues again and again, posting 4 bolts to the probably not a massive amount of people who have bought the APM so far by second class post or whatever won’t effect Fanatec anywhere near the ridiculous amount you are suggesting, and Fanatec are doing right by the customers and you are complaining about that. Stop with this nonsense you are playing just to make a point that’s only bad for the consumer not good.
    Your Comment Makes No Sense...When Car Manufacturers recall cars the People Bring the Cars back to the dealer for service... They don't ship out parts to peoples houses [-X

When Fanatec makes a car I will surely Pre Order it on Day 1....Seems Fanatec has a Deal that they Give away F1 2019 for $1.00  I'm sure that they can find a solution to extend that offer to those who spent the $179.00 on the APM kit as a substitute for spending ??? $$$ shipping out 4 bolts... I bought 2 APM units so I bought 8 Stainless Steel Bolts for Less than $5.00 US!!! I'm sure shipping alone will cost more than the Bolts themselves...Even if Fanatec Extends a Account Credit for the cost of the 4 replacement bolts that would be just fine and Much Cheaper than shipping 4 bolts out to people who don't Need them because they went out and bought the correct size or just use the upper hole so shorter screws are Not Needed.

BTW Seems that your the 1 complaining...I can post a link to your Face Book "Fanatec Owners Group" thread if you like :) You know the thread You Made Bashing Fanatec Raging and said that its TOTALLY Unacceptable that the Screws were too long!!!.. In fact You were the Only 1 I saw that even mentioned this matter In a Negative inflammatory way....Your post about the matter here is Much more Informative and reasonable than your Face Book Thread Regarding the matter....and again I can post the thread link if you like ~O)

My comment to you was just Buy 4 bolts and that's that or contact customer support they would send you 4 bolts and you should wait to install your APM unit until the replacement bolts arrive... I guess My comment is just as Ridiculous as your Comment because We know you wouldn't wait for replacement bolts to arrive before installing your APM unit  :)

Conclusion Relax Be Nice and Enjoy the APM unit.... Happy Shifting to you Fellow Sim Racer :)

• Gavin DaviesGavin Davies Member
    edited June 2019
    Gavin Davies said: Car manufacturers recall thousands and thousands of vehicles for far larger more expensive issues again and again, posting 4 bolts to the probably not a massive amount of people who have bought the APM so far by second class post or whatever won’t effect Fanatec anywhere near the ridiculous amount you are suggesting, and Fanatec are doing right by the customers and you are complaining about that. Stop with this nonsense you are playing just to make a point that’s only bad for the consumer not good.
    Your Comment Makes No Sense...When Car Manufacturers recall cars the People Bring the Cars back to the dealer for service... They don't ship out parts to peoples houses [-X

When Fanatec makes a car I will surely Pre Order it on Day 1....Seems Fanatec has a Deal that they Give away F1 2019 for $1. I'm sure that they can find a solution to extend that offer to those who spent the $179.00 on the APM kit as a substitute for spending ??? $$$ shipping out 4 bolts... I bought 2 APM units so I bought 8 Stainless Steel Bolts for Less than $5.00 US!!! I'm sure shipping alone will cost more than the Bolts themselves...Even if Fanatec Extends a Account Credit for the cost of the 4 replacement bolts that would be just fine and Much Cheaper than shipping 4 bolts out to people who don't Need them because they went out and bought the correct size or just use the upper hole so shorter screws are Not Needed.

BTW Seems that your the 1 complaining...I can post a link to your Face Book "Fanatec Owners Group" thread if you like :) You know the thread You Made Bashing Fanatec Raging and said that its TOTALLY Unacceptable that the Screws were too long!!!.. In fact You were the Only 1 I saw that even mentioned this matter In a Negative inflammatory way....Your post about the matter here is Much more Informative and reasonable than your Face Book Thread Regarding the matter....and again I can post the thread link if you like ~O)

My comment to you was just Buy 4 bolts and that's that or contact customer support they would send you 4 bolts and you should wait to install your APM unit until the replacement bolts arrive... I guess My comment is just as Ridiculous as your Comment because We know you wouldn't wait for replacement bolts to arrive before installing your APM unit  :)

Conclusion Relax Be Nice and Enjoy the APM unit.... Happy Shifting to you Fellow Sim Racer :)

No, they ship out parts to dealers, and then pay the mechanics and engineers to fix the issue for you at a much much higher cost than shipping a few bolts to them and letting the customer fix the issue, so you are the one making no sense as that’s much much worse than the loss Fanatec are taking. Haha, wow, you really are absurd, threatening me with nothing now, the very words I used there are in my very first post here if you had bothered to read it, that’s pretty pathetic man, and you really think they haven’t seen it already even if it was different than here, Thomas has an account in the group, there’s a Fanatec account and Dominic Brennan here even posted in the thread on Tuesday. In fact I was more complimentary in my selection of posts there than here, grow up, do some research and think before you type. I didn’t have to wait to install the APM, I happen to have some washers which helped, but you would know that too if you’d bothered to read the several posts mentioning that, but the problem still exists and should be fixed by the manufacturer, that is as it should be, it’s fair and correct. Yes I was complaining, complaining is allowed and is right about a legitimate problem that Fanatec are fixing against your awful judgement, And? You still haven’t got a point or argument whatsoever, just an agenda, being nice and logical and doing the right thing doesn’t come into it with you clearly.
  • Are these shorter bolts needed for the Podium Hub, or for the Universal Hub only? Thanks!