CSP V3 Stuck Set-Screws

edited August 2019 in Pedals
Greetings from Germany. Hope my English is ok for this technical stuff. 

I am trying to upgrade my new CSP V3 Pedals with the Brake Performance Kit. 
Unfortunately I can’t get it to work at all, as the little set screw, that holds the pin in the pedal lever, is absolutely stuck. I am not able to turn it in any direction.  
In every Tutorial, it looks like these screws should move pretty easy, which makes sense, as they only need to slightly hold the horizontal pin in it’splace. 

After checking the other set screws on the throttle and the clutch, I realised, that they are far to hard to turn too, but I can do it with a lot of force. Only exception seems to be the upper set screw on the clutch, which holds the upper piston.  
However, even with an extension on the allen key, the set screw on the Brake Pedal won't turn at all. 

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any tips on how to loosen that screw? 

Thank you.

Comments

• I recommend contacting Fanatec Support. These small screws should come out relatively easily.
  • You could spray with penetrating fluid - WD40 should work, and leave for a few hours and try again. make sure that you use a well fitting allen wrench - you don't want to mangle the head. If you still have issues after using the penetrating fluid you could try tapping the allen wrench round using a small hammer in a similar way to how impact guns work - they use force to break the bond between the two metals - if you have one of those that would work too. Final option would be heat - a soldering iron on the screw would help free it. If you've ever worked with old cars or any other situation where a bolt has been tight in metal for a period of time you'd know that this is a common problem but with care is usually easily overcome. 
  • Thank you both for your answers.

I tried WD 40 (like a lot for multiple times, with a lot of time to sink in) and that did the trick. 
    Altough it was still way to hard to turn, I was able to get it out in the end.
    Strangely, even without the set screw, it was way to hard, to get the small piston out of the pedal lever. (At least a lot harder, then in the videos i saw.)

However, finally I managed to install the performance kit, so all in all I'm happy about that, but not to happy about how most of the screws were put in my set of pedals (foot rest and pedal plate screws were also tightend with unnassecary high torque) and also not to happy with customer support, which showed still no reaction on my request till now.

So yes, quality control and support seems to be a thing ... 
    Hoping the best for my now shipped Podium PS4 Wheel.

Thanks again for the help and best regards.
    Ronald
  • I had the same problem, but, like an absolute APE, I tried to torque it loose, and ended up stripping the brake screw with my allen key.  Considered contacting support, but figured that I'd have to send the pedals back, for them to fix.  Very frustrated. Brake performance kit is out of the question, for me.  I should have used WD-40.  Unacceptable how tight they had those things set.  

If anyone knows of a way to extract a TINY, stripped set screw, please enlighten me.  Also, will need a new one, to replace the one that was stripped.  Sigh.
  • I had the same problem, but, like an absolute APE, I tried to torque it loose, and ended up stripping the brake screw with my allen key.  Considered contacting support, but figured that I'd have to send the pedals back, for them to fix.  Very frustrated. Brake performance kit is out of the question, for me.  I should have used WD-40.  Unacceptable how tight they had those things set.  

If anyone knows of a way to extract a TINY, stripped set screw, please enlighten me.  Also, will need a new one, to replace the one that was stripped.  Sigh.
    Please do contact the Fanatec Support team for your options, as this is a known issue. They may be able to help you fix it.
  • Can confirm as of june 2020 still locktighting these...soldering iron FTW