DD2 review of Barry from SRG

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
edited September 2019 in Blog
Here it is!

The long awaited review of Barry Rowland. The master of disassembly! And while I always have some screws left over after I re-assembled everything he always manages to put back everything perfectly.

This is our very first DD wheel base and it is a great honour for us that he sees the overall experience you get with our DD at the level of the very best last gen DDs out there. Thank you, Barry!

He also gives a great explanation of the Fanalab software and it looks like he liked it a lot.

A few notes I would like to mention:
1. With an upcoming new firmware you can also turn down the torque only if you press the power button short and to turn it off you press it 2 seconds.
2. The flex in the QR will not cause any lack of fidelity as it is not rotational flex. You can also avoid it by using the locking bolt if it bothers you. I personally doubt that there is any chance that you notice that while driving.
3.  Fanalab will be available for all wheel bases and not just Podium
4. The dynamic force feedback damper works now ;)

PS: The Fanalab software is really close to release now and it is just a matter of days or weeks and not months.
SRG review
  1. Do you notice the horizontal flex as shown in the video while driving?90 votes
    1. I don't have such flex
      60.00%
    2. No. The flex is not in the rotational direction and therefore irrelevant.
      24.44%
    3. Yes. I can clearly feel more details if I use the bolt to eliminate the flex.
      15.56%

Comments

• 1. With an upcoming new firmware you can also turn down the torque only if you press the power button short and to turn it off you press it 2 seconds.
    Hello Thomas,

I think everybody wants that the FFB turns off with the killswitch button... not the tiny Power Button.
    ... And yes I don't have a such flex but it isn't in the rotational direction and therefore irrelevant.

Cheers,
    JC
  • leon liuleon liu Member
    edited September 2019
    Barry didnot tight the locking ring???
  • You had me at "days"...but then you had to mess all up with the word weeks :/

:)
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    edited September 2019
    Between the quick release, UHX, adaptor and AR wheel that’s doesn’t seem crazy to have a bit of flex with that amount of weight and length. I get zero flex with either the Formula V2 or UHX and GT Wheel. Nice in-depth look from Barry though.
  • I have a CSW v2.5 and not a podium, but he said all Fanatec wheels he's had have has that flex, but I have no flex like that at all on my wheelbase, and I have the Porsche, McLaren and F1 2018 wheels. I don't use the locking screw either, the quick release sits pretty flush on mine, no wobble.
  • edited September 2019
    I have flex with all of my rims & yes the feedback is better (less sloppy) with the bolt installed, however even with the bolt installed I still have flex. When compared to other quick release systems the flex is disappointing. I am looking forward to the Fanalab software!
  • With the modular nature of new rims, a Podium QR upgrade might be worthy someday. I'm content with my qr for now though, and it makes sense to develop rims pedals and handbrake in the near term. My formula rim v2 would like a big brother!
  • Great review! (but did we expect anything else ;)

With the 'older' QR's attached to my McLaren and XBox hub I also have flex with the DD1 and it is noticable while racing (especially high paced Dirt Rally 2)--> tbh I never tried it with the bolt. I'll try that later.

With the new F1 2019 wheel it is rock solid. 

Looking forward to the Fanalabs software
  • does the play in the wheel get worse over time, 
  • no news of the new QR system mentioned in the direct drive product sheet?
  • No flex on my DD2 in combination with universal hub and formula v2 eu wheel.  

Many nonsense reactions in the revieuw from users who have never used a Fanatec product themselves.

Satisfied with all the Fanatec products so far. Pedals, clubsport wheelbase v2.5, DD2 and steering wheels.

The QR on the podium bases is the new QR system :)
    The QR on the podium bases is the new QR system :)
    in the product sheet I read: in the future you will have the option to upgrade to a new QR system.
  • Personally, with 2 Xbox Hub (buy 6 months ago) with my DD2, i have no flex in the QR, like i need to grease the QR for push/pull a wheel without too much force that can causing damages

I'm going to see if i have flex with my wheel F1 Esport next month but i doubt
  • Bill KrauseBill Krause Member
    edited September 2019
    Is the clutch bite point part of Fanalab?
  • edited September 2019
    Where can i download the fanalab?
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    edited September 2019
    @Humberto. It has not been released yet.
  • even putting the bolt in,  the dd1 with 2018 f1 wheel still wobbles abit, its kinda annoying,  not noticeable during driving,   

but giving the time taken by fanatec (above and beyond the projected product delivery timeline) I would have expected a high polished product that has quality in every detail,   the promised software not being delivered until months months later,  the delayed shipping (I really didn't need the excuses or the voucher),  the higher then expected price point, all the quality control issues and the finishing touches (like the qr wobble) is just one of many reasons iv found this purchase my most disappointing fanatec experience to date.

The dismissive attitude to any criticism by Thomas Suggests he just doesn't quite understand nor potentially does not want to understand 
  • I have 4 wheels for my DD2 and all have flex. Not that much as shown in Barrys video, but they definitively flex. Even with the screw fully tightened. The flex is bigger than on my former CSW v2. The rubber part is the reason for that, i guess.
    The QR is my main issue, even if i don't notice the flex that much while driving.

The DD2 is a damn great product, but the wobbly QR bothers me a lot. I'd appreciate if Fanatec would bring a more rock-solid solution on the table, even if i would have to upgrade all my wheel rims.
  • will the fanalab software only be relevant for PC games or for console games?
  • will the fanalab software only be relevant for PC games or for console games?
    Its a Windows Software. You generally cant use any software on consoles, so PC only.
  • Didn't he say the bolt didn't help? Shouldn't there be a fourth option on that biased poll?
  • Hristo GoshevHristo Goshev Member
    edited September 2019
    Didn't he say the bolt didn't help? Shouldn't there be a fourth option on that biased poll?
    Yes, It is clearly visible at 6:46 that the locking bolt is in place and he moves the steering wheel only with his fingers.
  • Didn't he say the bolt didn't help? Shouldn't there be a fourth option on that biased poll?
    Yes, It is clearly visible at 6:46 that the locking bolt is in place and he moves the steering wheel only with his fingers.
    But he is using a VERY long custom steering wheel combo with the UHX and a custom QR which increases the leverage significantly. You shouldnt have any flex with a "normal" steering wheel from Fanatec when using the bolt.
    But he is using a VERY long custom steering wheel combo with the UHX and a custom QR which increases the leverage significantly. You shouldnt have any flex with a "normal" steering wheel from Fanatec when using the bolt.
    With this custom steering wheel he has to use very long combo or there will be no force feedback which is not his fault. Keep in mind that other people who want to use custom steering wheels will probably also need to use such a long combo which is no excuse for flex, especially with the bolt in place.
  • Personaly for me most bigger problem is that I have no possibility to test a lot of fantastic devuces simracing. Fanatec DD and Clubsport, Simucube DD, Husinkveld Pedals and this is the reason why I cant say nothing NOTHING about my feeling for all of them. But I wonder :) I'm sure that is a lot of engineging hard work thats all. And "hate" is not fair! Mr. Jackermeier would be great to organize something like trip in more places around the World more events etc. Or maybe possibility to rent? Dear simracers take it easy. We should support ourselves and not hate each other :) wbr!
  • edited September 2019
    Pretty gutted that those that have spent a lot of hard earned money have not been able / trusted to test fanalab software even though we are trusted to be Guinea pigs for the hardware / all the beta firmwares. Would have been nice for a public beta of the software for all us early adopters that took the gamble jumping straight in on an unknown / unproven product.
  • Even if they put out a beta version, some people would still complain they should have waited to fix all of the bugs. In instances like these, they will never be able to keep everyone happy. Just wait. I'm sure they will get everything sorted out in due time.

Keith.
  • Even if they put out a beta version, some people would still complain they should have waited to fix all of the bugs. In instances like these, they will never be able to keep everyone happy. Just wait. I'm sure they will get everything sorted out in due time.

Keith.
    Well obviously those type of people dont understand what the term beta means. Just wait seems to be a common thing no?
  • Where would I be able to get a replacement rubber collar for the quick release on my DD playstation?