DD2 review of Barry from SRG

13»

Comments

• Hristo GoshevHristo Goshev Member
    edited September 2019
    A little note: the locking ring should be put in revers!

Correct position:

Incorrect position:

"Sim Racing Garage said:
    Goog point. I tried that after the video was released. I didn't notice any difference in performance. But it makes sense that it will provide extra support for the Z-ring by having more surface area on the back of it. So that's the way it will stay."
  • Frank LehmannFrank Lehmann Member
    edited September 2019
    Joel Barsotti said:
    That is not what I am seeing here. The flex that i get is 100% because the output shaft of the wheel is either too small or the rubber is too soft, so the QR can rock in a lateral way.... .
    That's my assumption as well. At least on my wheels + QR. The rubber is not stiff enough to remove the play on the shaft.

But i would rather have a proper zero-flex-solution by Fanatec, even if i'd have to exchange the QR on all my wheels. And as long as Fanatec doesn't come with an over-expensive solution.
  • That's my assumption as well. At least on my wheels + QR. The rubber is not stiff enough to remove the play on the shaft.

But i would rather have a proper zero-flex-solution by Fanatec, even if i'd have to exchange the QR on all my wheels. And as long as Fanatec doesn't come with an over-expensive solution.

Yeah but not all wheels have replaceable QRs. My BMW rim has the QR built into the shell near as I can tell. I think they can fix this with something base side, like the adapter ring Barry tested (and apparently was very happy with).

• Yeah but not all wheels have replaceable QRs. My BMW rim has the QR built into the shell near as I can tell. I think they can fix this with something base side, like the adapter ring Barry tested (and apparently was very happy with).

Oh, you're right. I didn't checked that. Only my McLaren rim has an exchangeable QR. The QR on my other wheels (BMW rim, F1 rim, etc.) is built-in.
  • I wish to know  now if fanatec is working on a 0% flex solution for all the podium users.
  • I am a podium user and have zero flex, it seems there is a lot of hit and miss with this
  • The rubber in the video at 1:38:50 can be seen to be moving and squishing...
    I could be wrong, but believe that Barry isn't tightening the bolt up enough. 

If I don't tighten up the bolt and rubber tight, then I can also replicate movement but the rubber 
    is to take out the noise and act as a buffer - tighten it up and you have zero movement, zero noise and a great wheel.

Personal opinion, it is a really good implementation when used correctly. 
    Like anything, how far do Fanatec need to go with their instructions?

• My 2 dd... I preferred a fanatec t-shirt that the code of f12019 ... by the possibility you have your customers to have a t-shirt even for a fee
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    edited September 2019
    Where is that Merch Store?  :)
  • Steven WrightSteven Wright Member
    edited September 2019
    I wish to know  now if fanatec is working on a 0% flex solution for all the podium users.
    With the locking nut in place, provided with all fanatec wheels, there is zero flex.
    Without it, yeah there's a tiny bit of flex, but not rotational.  Just a case of how lazy you want to be. 

I don't swap my rims every 2 minutes so taking 2 seconds to remove a tiny locking nut is hardly an issue.
    I have tested with DD2, F1 2019 rim, F1 Carbon rim and Porsche Rim.  All of them have zero flex when the ring is tightened and the locking nut inserted.  The lazy comment btw, was tongue in cheek, not serious.
  • Ok, so my porsche Wheel and Mclaren never had the amount of play we see on Barry's Video, but it seems this is a hit or miss situation ... was planning to buy the podium Hub but after seeing this video im sincerely in doubt on what to do : 

May not affect the overall FFB but it looks sloppy as hell tbh
  • edited October 2019
    Ok, so my porsche Wheel and Mclaren never had the amount of play we see on Barry's Video, but it seems this is a hit or miss situation ... was planning to buy the podium Hub but after seeing this video im sincerely in doubt on what to do : 

To be honest I don't understand one word, but a picture often says more than a thousand words.....
    Has anybody else had issues with this hub, as I am kind of in the same situation as Lino Carreira.....?
  • I am with SRG, I definitely have some flex.
    Also (thx SRG) I am already using "Z-Ring Podium Wheelbase QR Flex Reducer", it's helped a little but still.... :-(
    It is not ideal but also not that critical. It's just imperfect and it is not line up with DD line quality.
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Ok, so my porsche Wheel and Mclaren never had the amount of play we see on Barry's Video, but it seems this is a hit or miss situation ... was planning to buy the podium Hub but after seeing this video im sincerely in doubt on what to do : 

We're in touch with DigiProst. The movement shown in this video (and indeed Barry's video) is not normal.
  • That is strange, because support told me that this is perfectly normal! ??

• Ok, so my porsche Wheel and Mclaren never had the amount of play we see on Barry's Video, but it seems this is a hit or miss situation ... was planning to buy the podium Hub but after seeing this video im sincerely in doubt on what to do : 

We're in touch with DigiProst. The movement shown in this video (and indeed Barry's video) is not normal.
    mine is the same, if its niot normal what can i do to fix it?
  • I am wondering has the flex been addressed by Fanatec here. I have a DD2 on order...but I am having second thoughts now having seen this.