FanaLab 1.12 available - Post feedback here!

Comments

• Bill KrauseBill Krause Member
    edited September 2019

I still don't understand. FanaLab did nothing wrong. FanaLab will load your Skippy profile VERY TIME you load iRacing, no matter if you loaded a different profile manually before you started iRacing. However, you can always manually load a different profile once you are in the game without any problem. That's how FanaLab works, it's no issue.
    "Default":

a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer.

I am the "user" I selected a profile therefore the "default is not adopted.  Google "default"   Fanalab is not implementing the default correctly.
  • Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

I still don't understand. FanaLab did nothing wrong. FanaLab will load your Skippy profile VERY TIME you load iRacing, no matter if you loaded a different profile manually before you started iRacing. However, you can always manually load a different profile once you are in the game without any problem. That's how FanaLab works, it's no issue.
    "Default":

a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer.

I am the "user" I selected a profile therefore the "default is not adopted.  Google "default"   Fanalab is not implementing the default correctly.
    Hover with your mouse over the default button and read the hint.
  • edited September 2019

"Default":

no, FanaLab is implementing default the way Fanalab wants to handle it. It doesnt need a legal definition.
    As Marcel said, hover with the mouse over the default button and you see the following text which exactly explains how the default profile is working in FanaLab: "The selected profile will be automatically loaded with the currently selected game on the left". This means, it loads EVERYTIME you start the game. If you want to have full control over what profile is loaded when, just simply dont make any profile the default one. Then nothing will be loaded automatically and you have to manually load the profile you want.
  • After an update to FanaLab 1.2 my F1 2018 LE (on DD1) doesn´t show any infos on the LED display or LEDs in iRacing.
    If I start FanaLab, after that join a session in Iracing the game is recognized by FanaLab and it shows an information "Telemetry not initialized". If I leave the iRacing session, FanaLab has been closed itself. (crash?)

Previous version (0.8?) worked well.
  • no, FanaLab is implementing default the way Fanalab wants to handle it. It doesnt need a legal definition.
    As Marcel said, hover with the mouse over the default button and you see the following text which exactly explains how the default profile is working in FanaLab: "The selected profile will be automatically loaded with the currently selected game on the left". This means, it loads EVERYTIME you start the game. If you want to have full control over what profile is loaded when, just simply dont make any profile the default one. Then nothing will be loaded automatically and you have to manually load the profile you want.
    It is not a "legal" definition.  It is the definition used by software engineers over most of the world.  Having 35 years in the software profession, with software used in aerospace applications I can tell you with confidence that Fanalab is just WRONG.  

The definition given by the hover is of a selection.  
  • edited September 2019
    no, FanaLab is implementing default the way Fanalab wants to handle it. It doesnt need a legal definition.
    It is not a "legal" definition.  It is the definition used by software engineers over most of the world.  Having 35 years in the software profession, with software used in aerospace applications I can tell you with confidence that Fanalab is just WRONG.  

The definition given by the hover is of a selection.  
    Still don't get your point. Anyway, time to move forward as FanaLab is working as intended. You have the option to either use the profile autoloader feature as it is or not but I highly doubt the behavior will change as I don't see an issue here because it correctly loads the games default profile when the game loads. For me it doesn't make sense to not load the games default profile just because I have loaded a different profile earlier, maybe even from a different game...
  • Still don't get your point. Anyway, time to move forward as FanaLab is working as intended. You have the option to either use the profile autoloader feature as it is or not but I highly doubt the behavior will change as I don't see an issue here because it correctly loads the games default profile when the game loads. For me it doesn't make sense to not load the games default profile just because I have loaded a different profile earlier, maybe even from a different game...
    You are making my point that Fanalab does not follow sound Software Engineering Practices.  

Your answer is that of a hacker.
  • Bill Krause, what's your point exactly? You drive with an Project Cars setup, quit the game, start iracing and want that Fanalabs stays on your project cars setup? This doesn't make any sense. (This is an example) You check one profile as a standard profile which is loaded every time, when the selected app starts. It is not that hard to understand. I know, what you mean, but it's time for you to understand that the Fanatec program doesn't work in the way that you want andnas my example above show: it is good so.
  • Bill Krause, what's your point exactly? You drive with an Project Cars setup, quit the game, start iracing and want that Fanalabs stays on your project cars setup? This doesn't make any sense. (This is an example) You check one profile as a standard profile which is loaded every time, when the selected app starts. It is not that hard to understand. I know, what you mean, but it's time for you to understand that the Fanatec program doesn't work in the way that you want andnas my example above show: it is good so.

Fanalab's is used in several targets (iRacing, Project Cars etc .…) labeled Game Profiles Fanalab will use all existing and future Fanatac wheels. Multiple Wheel Profiles can be created for each Game Profile. Wheel Profiles are excursive to each Game Profile. These Software Requirements should have been there and understood from the start of Software Design.

The first problem that Fanalab exhibits is that it allows Wheel Profiles to be used across different Game Profiles. This can be verified by loading a profile from one Game Profile (see 01), I loaded an iRacing eSport Profile, and selecting another Game Profile, I selected Project Cars 2 (see 02). Then I saved the profile from iRacing into the Projext Cars 2 Game Profile (see 03).

From all the rationale that Fanatec has given (see previous above) the reason that they load “default” is to prevent an incompatible Wheel Profile from being loaded into the wrong Game Profile. This is a work around caused by Fanalab not recognizing that a different Game Profile has be loaded. Fanalab does indicate in the UI that a different Game Profile is present but apparently the software does not have a way of validating that the Wheel Profile is compatible with the selected Game Profile.

So my point is given that Fanalab can not verify that Wheel Profiles are compatible with a Game Profile. That the work around to allow the user to define a “default” which in itself can be incompatible with the Game Profile does not solve the Fanalab problem,

Now to the term default. The Software engineering term for default can be found in many sources, so look it up. In the Fanalab case it was recognized by Fanatec that the Fanalab software has a problem with verifying that the Wheel Profile is compatible with the Game Profile. Fanalab however can verify that a Wheel is compatible with a Wheel Profile. Fanatec should be able to create Wheel Profile DEFAULTs for all wheel combinations and add new ones for new wheels. These Wheel Profiles are internal to Fanalab and the correct one is loaded by DEFAULT when Fanalab opens a Game Profile that does not contain any Wheel Profiles. If the Game Profile has Wheel Profiles it should load the last one used by the user. If the user decides to identify one of the Wheel Profiles for that Game Profile as the User’s Wheel Profile DEFAULT then Fanalab may load the User’s Wheel Profile DEFAULT. However, if the users after selecting a Game Profile decides to load another Wheel Profile from the set in the Game Profile that Wheel Profile will be used not the User’s Wheel Profile DEFAULT because the user has decided to not use the default.

It is an interesting problem and one that can get worse if not addressed. The best way to prevent these kind of problems is have Process in place for Systems and Software Engineering. Fanatec is a small company with limited staff. However, sound engineering processes help make the most out of each persons effort.

• rf2 fixed anyone ? still missing podium plugin x64....
  • Yes, it is fixed now, Frank. I was able to use it yesterday after enabling telemetry again so it copies the new plugin dlls.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Member
    edited September 2019
    after a new Installation of Windows 10 64bit. Fanalab does not find the game.

I can not see profiles under Game Profile either. before there were some

i used it for Iracing 

imageimage
  • edited September 2019

It is an interesting problem and one that can get worse if not addressed. The best way to prevent these kind of problems is have Process in place for Systems and Software Engineering. Fanatec is a small company with limited staff. However, sound engineering processes help make the most out of each persons effort.

I find that very interesting and to the point. It‘s like cars in iracing loading with the baseline setup. Preventing to have an entirely wrong setup loaded for a certain track. I sure hope Fanatec has the good sense to tap into the resources of the user base and compensate for shortfalls that root in the way the company is set up. No one takes issue if a new product isn’t perfect from the get go. But a lot of people will if the shortfalls are not addressed appropriately. Sadly, a lot of enterprises think that only they have the answer to a problem. Hence the often crappy beta testing, done in-house by people who have a limited scope BECAUSE it is THEIR product. And who are reacting offended if any outsider points out that the project design may contain flaws. Thank you, Bill, and let’s hope Fanatec can surpass the narcissism that I sometimes see in their acting and presentation. Let’s hope they can see the community as something valuable beyond them being customers.
  • I wanted to add a suggestion for improvement if possible.

Not a big deal, but I noticed that some profiles I import (Thank again Maurice) use a different rim, and FanaLab recognizes that and warns appropriately.... It would be great if we could then get an option to save it as a new/duplicate profile with hardware that matches the currently connected devices/hardware configuration if desired... 

Thanks,

Heath
  • I wanted to add a suggestion for improvement if possible.

Not a big deal, but I noticed that some profiles I import (Thank again Maurice) use a different rim, and FanaLab recognizes that and warns appropriately.... It would be great if we could then get an option to save it as a new/duplicate profile with hardware that matches the currently connected devices/hardware configuration if desired... 

Thanks,

Heath
    You are welcome :) You can do that already by loading the profile and then just click save to overwrite the profile. Next time you load the profile you wont get a warning message anymore because the profile is now already saved with your specific hardware :) 
  • For anyone interested: I updated my F1 2019 profiles.

Changelog:

1. Added a Generic Classic Car Profile without RevLEDs for the old Classic Cars which dont have RevLEDs

2. Added new Profiles for 10 Classic Cars which have RevLEDs to match the in game LEDs 100%

3. Adjusted RevLEDs for F1 2019 cars which only have red and blue RevLEDs (so every car except Racing Point): Previously only 3 red and 3 blue LEDs were programmed, this is now increased to 4 red and 4 blue LEDs to get a bit more LEDs

4. Slightly adjusted DRS Allowed and DRS Active FlagLEDs for some cars

Remember to set UDP Send Rate in game to 10Hz to not get any delay for the LEDs.

Hope you like the profiles :) 

• edited September 2019
    Hello,

Can anybody help me. I tried to get FanaLab running, but always on startup it tells me "Please install Fanatec Driver Package before using Fanalab". I'm using a CSW 2.5 with V3 Pedals and a Formula V2 rim. Installed the newest beta drivers 3.47 and updated all devices with newest firmware.
    Any suggestions what to do and how to get FanaLab running?

Regards
    Sascha
  • back to 3.45 ! this package is working good with my csw 2.5 and fanalab !
  • I also tried it with 3.45 - same error message on startup.
  • Daniel nietoDaniel nieto Member
    edited September 2019
    Hi,

Just can't make the auto ration -SEN option to work after install fanalab and enabling the telemetry profiles data on rFactor 2 and AUTOMOBILISTA. Working fine with AC/ACC, iRacing, PC2...

I'm using a CSL Elite Xbox.

Have someone any idea of how to fix this pleeaase? The Auto SEN option always worked fine until I installed the fanalab app, but must be some way to make it work cause everything else is working perfectly (LED's, dynamic FFB..)

Wheel Base Model (product ID): CSL E WB EU
    Steering Wheel Model (product ID): CSW RGTX
    Driver Version: 345
    Base FW Version: 662
    Wheel FW Version: 662

Thanks a lot!

Cheers
  • Hi,

Just can't make the auto ration -SEN option to work after install fanalab and enabling the telemetry profiles data on rFactor 2 and AUTOMOBILISTA. Working fine with AC/ACC, iRacing, PC2...

Have someone any idea of how to fix this pleeaase? The Auto SEN option always worked fine until I installed the fanalab app, but must be some way to make it work cause everything else is working perfectly (LED's, dynamic FFB..)

Thanks a lot!

Cheers
    Cant test but I assume this has to do with the fact that the CSL Elite (v1) is not fully compatible with FanaLab and that FanaLab cant see, read or load the Tuning Menu of the Wheel Base and this might cause conflicts ...
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot!

Cheers
    Cant test but I assume this has to do with the fact that the CSL Elite (v1) is not fully compatible with FanaLab and that FanaLab cant see, read or load the Tuning Menu of the Wheel Base and this might cause conflicts ...
    I had the same with rF2 when running Fanalab and DD PS4. It works fine when it is not running, so something is off with Fanalab.
  • Hi Maurice, I had a quick try with your ACC AMG profile last night and while the leds are cool the way they work I noticed that the rev leds didn't work, only one red middle led lit up before hitting the rev limiter and then when it did hit the limiter no extra lights came on. Not sure if it is an issue at my end or not. Everything else worked for that car.
  • edited October 2019
    Hi Maurice, I had a quick try with your ACC AMG profile last night and while the leds are cool the way they work I noticed that the rev leds didn't work, only one red middle led lit up before hitting the rev limiter and then when it did hit the limiter no extra lights came on. Not sure if it is an issue at my end or not. Everything else worked for that car.
    Do you have a Formula v2 Wheel and are you on at least driver 340 or 345? This sounds odd because I made the two outer leds of each side green, then the next led yellow from both sides and then the 3 middle red leds which light up when you have to shift, so 100% exactly how the rev leds in Game are.. How is the LED Tab looking in FanaLab on your side?
  • Hey Maurice, will try again later and take some photos. I am on 345. I could see in the rev led setup that the middle Ren was on 85% and the outer ones 100. The pit limiter and display worked fine, just the rev one was odd.
  • Hey Maurice, will try again later and take some photos. I am on 345. I could see in the rev led setup that the middle Ren was on 85% and the outer ones 100. The pit limiter and display worked fine, just the rev one was odd.
    That sounds odd, to have the outer leds on 100% obviously makes no sense and I am very sure I have saved them with the correct values because for me they are working great. Seems there was an issue when importing and loading that file.. Will have a look later when I am back at home to tell you the exact % :)
  • Cheers for that
  • Oops, I just checked, it was the Aston Martin, not the AMG.
  • Here is a couple of examples Maurice, it looks like a lot of the cars have rev led issues, tried downloading a second time as well and it was no different.

• Here is a couple of examples Maurice, it looks like a lot of the cars have rev led issues, tried downloading a second time as well and it was no different.

Okay, that's super weird :/ I deleted some profiles and re-imported them already several times in the past and never had those issues... Will have a look what's wrong when I get back from work but I can already say that the profiles don't look like that in your picture at all...
This discussion has been closed.