CSW v2.5 and Elite P1 Rim quit working while playing F1 2019

So I’ve had my CSW v2.5 base, Elite P1 rim, and CSL LC pedals about a year. It’s taken a lot of practice, but I’m playing F1 2019 on 60% opponent difficulty. So I’m playing Monaco today, running the track acclimation program, and out of the blue the controller quits working, and I get a message to that effect. I save my progress, close the game, and when I use the Fanatec app to look at my controllers... sure enough, no wheel showing. Rebooted the pc, ran updates, still having issues. Eventually realized the wheel was in Xbox mode, so I put it back in PC mode, turn the wheel, and it goes back to Xbox mode. At this point, I uninstall the Fanatec software, reinstall the version before 330, and the wheel shows back up. But when I click properties it disappears again. At this point, I check Device Manager and nothing is missing. So I download and install beta 3.46, reboot, and the wheel is gone again. Now it’s showing a driver issue, so I point to the install folder, it installs the driver, I reboot, and when I log back in and do properties... I can get to the firmware page. Upgraded the wheel firmware, and the wheel seemed better, but... Now when I go to turn off the wheel, it will not turn off. Holding the power button for 3 seconds, 10 seconds, or 30 seconds... it NEVER turns off. I eventually pulled the plug, plugged it back in, and it “came on”... but a period showed up on the wheel. It takes about 10 seconds, then it moves from the left to the center, then the center to the right of the LED display. Holding power still didn’t work, and having plans after two hours of troubleshooting... I unplugged the wheel and left. Safe to say I’m all kinds of frustrated as I love my wheel, and can’t just go get another or parts somewhere local, even if I could afford that. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. It’s not like the fans were running loud or anything obvious was bad before this started. So I’m ultra concerned. Thanks!

Comments

• So I got home from watching football, and started working on the wheel.  After having the same problem with the wheel not turning off. and not really centering correctly when I turned it on... I removed the P1 rim from the wheelbase.

While tighting screws inside the "rings" of the rim and and base, I noticed there was a pin sticking out of a hole in the bottom of the base.  While most of the pins appear to be coming out of the wheel rim and go into holes on the base... this pin is just barely sticking out of the base.  When I remounted and secured the wheel with the security screw, plugged the AC adapter back in, and turned on the wheel, the wheel base power circle was spinning, and I still couldn't hold the power button to turn off the base.  So I unplugged the power, and I'm going to remove the rim from the base again.

Assuming I can remove that pin, has anyone else had a pin from the rim get stuck / broken in the base before?  I don't have a quick release rim, so it's not like I was putting the rim on and off all the time.  I'm floored I had the problem, and whatever rim I get next, I don't want a repeat of the issue.

If anyone can comment about having to replace rims, I'd really appreciate whatever input you can provide, and whether you think that's cause the problems with the base.

Thank you!

• Contact Fanatec Support, the rim QR needs to be repaired.
  • Remco.  Did so, about 6pm PST on Sunday here in on the West Coast of the US.  Received the usual, we'll review your ticket and be in touch, and haven't heard anything since.

Obviously, I don't blame Fanatec for this, but the fact that the company is based overseas means longer wait times just to get assistance, and then long shipping times to get a part that works.  Because I'm probably going to have to ship them my rim, have them repair it, and then get a new unit back... I'm guessing two weeks before I have something to "use" again, and that might be optimistic.  After all, I have no spare rims to test the base and confirm it's not part of the problem, though the broken pin HOPEFULLY means my CSW v2.5 base is ok.  (The power button not shutting the base off since the last firmware update makes me VERY nervous.  :( )

Looking at rim options before I go to lunch, I knew there were a few different F1 rims to choose from.  I know the McLaren seems to have a reputation for issues, but one poster indicated if you get the quick release accessory, you are less likely to have broken pins.  Given the P1 Elite rim doesn't SUPPORT the quick release adapter, once I get that rim back... maybe it's prone to break another pin?

I do like that the McLaren wheel has the bite point clutch option, something I couldn't test with the P1 Elite rim.  I notice it doesn't have the knobs under the top buttons, but I'm not sure what I'd use those knobs for anyway.

Any thoughts as to a rim and required accessories to get me by, and I could wait for my P1 Elite to be repaired, and have as a backup / use with non-F1 driving games would be appreciated.

Thanks again for anyone taking the time to read and reply!
    Any idea how long it should take for them to get back to me?  I expected within 2 business days, but Monday and Tuesday have come and gone in Europe... and I haven't received a reply about my issue from Fanatec Technical Support.  :(
    Any idea how long it should take for them to get back to me?  I expected within 2 business days, but Monday and Tuesday have come and gone in Europe... and I haven't received a reply about my issue from Fanatec Technical Support.  :(
    Within 2 business days would be normal, but I don't know how busy they are currently so I cannot make any promises. If they haven't contacted you by Thursday, let me know and I'll check the status of your request internally.

Regarding your broken pin question: it's a known issue that is being investigated, but AFAIK it's not related to whether the rim has a QR or not. If you have a non-QR rim and mount it properly using the fixation bolt, it will work just as well as a QR.
  • Remco Van Dijk said:Regarding your broken pin question: it's a known issue that is being investigated, but AFAIK it's not related to whether the rim has a QR or not. If you have a non-QR rim and mount it properly using the fixation bolt, it will work just as well as a QR.
    Understood.  I hear what you are saying, but because I only have 1 rim, I had mounted my P1 Elite with said security screw and clamp, and ended up with the broke pin 8 months after purchase.  And I'm not a "hardcore" sim racer, so it's not like I used the rim 5 times a week, 8 hours a day or anything.

I do like the idea of the Quick Release connections, and with others indicating they work better I'd love to get one for my P1 Elite.  But I've read that they are incompatible, and not even an option.

That said, I like the look of the new McLaren rim coming at the end of November.  Maybe my next Fanatec purchase while be that rim, the QR adapter, and I can even learn how to start races with the "bite point" clutch!  :)

For now, I'll be happy to get my P1 rim fixed.  Thanks for the time and the posts!!!