For those who have personally compared the DD1 and DD2...

Is the increased fidelity of the DD2 noticeable? 

I am planning to upgrade to one or the other and keep thinking that as I am unlikely to really need more torque than the DD1 can offer that is the sensible way to go. Granted, the DD2 comes with a kill switch and a longer warranty but that isn't as compelling an argument for the extra expenditure as noticeably increased fidelity would be - to me at least.

And anyone any idea when the Podium endurance module and Porsche wheel will be available?

cheers
G

Comments

• I can only parrot what I read on the iRacing forum, but a member there had tested the production version of both the DD1 and DD2, and reported that the feel of the wheels is identical.

There is no reason to think the DD2 provides and fidelity beyond the extra torque headroom, they are the same motor after all.

I have a DD2 myself, but in hindsight I think the DD1 would've been more than sufficient.
  • Thanks Joel, that confirms my suspicions. 

I know that Fanatec staff have confirmed that despite using identical motors there are differences to the electronics that control the motors. However whether the differences in the electronics is noticeable to the user is what I am trying to establish. 

I really wish I could try them out next to each other.

• Thanks Joel, that confirms my suspicions. 

I know that Fanatec staff have confirmed that despite using identical motors there are differences to the electronics that control the motors. However whether the differences in the electronics is noticeable to the user is what I am trying to establish. 

I really wish I could try them out next to each other.

I think the only difference in the electronics is larger capacitors to support the extra torque that it drives.

If they had better internal processing power, more refined filters, or anything explicitly better they would say so.

Given that they do not state the purpose of these electronics other than to support their advertised specs, ergo support for the power delivery required for larger holding torque is the obvious explination.
  • That makes sense. :-)