Symptom: High friction when connecting or removing wheels from wheel bases

Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
The Quick Release shafts on all Fanatec wheel bases (CSL, ClubSport, and Podium Series) share the same basic design, so this advice applies to all bases. The Podium Series has an improved system that incorporates an expandable rubber gasket, which can result in higher levels of friction and may require additional lubrication. We recommend using a dielectric grease which rubber and plastic friendly, such as this CRC Silicone Grease.

Comments

• can i use the silicone grease provided for the v3 pedals?
  • I'm curious about that too. Is the grease in V3 box suitable?
  • can i use the silicone grease provided for the v3 pedals?
    I believe that is lithium grease.

Different stuff.
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    can i use the silicone grease provided for the v3 pedals?
    The lithium grease provided with the V3 pedals is not suitable, as it is petroleum based, which could harm the rubber in the long term.
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    If you have a hard time finding the CRC silicone grease. PTFE silicone lube from Muc Off or Finish Line is also great for ORings.
  • should it be put on the dd1 rubber OR in the inner part of the steering wheel quickrelease?
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    I always apply to the rubber and try to avoid getting lube on the components inside the QR.
  • I also found that when the wheel is installed correctly (take up the slack on the QR before putting wheel on) that there is a ton of friction, taking it off too. I have a tub of this used for seals on my motorbike/car etc https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuchs-Renolit-Rubber-Grease-Components/dp/B00TQTESHM/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=red+rubber+grease&qid=1557994504&s=automotive&sr=1-16

works a treat!
  • Looks like good stuff, thanks for the link Joel, just bought some.
  • I would like to hear an official recommendation from Fanatec. I really need a lot of force to install a rim so the usage of a lubricant isn't optional imho if I don't want to scratch or damage something. So please Fanatec, exercise your responsibility. Thanks in advance!
    I would like to hear an official recommendation from Fanatec. I really need a lot of force to install a rim so the usage of a lubricant isn't optional imho if I don't want to scratch or damage something. So please Fanatec, exercise your responsibility. Thanks in advance!
    Our official recommendation is the original post in this thread. Any silicone grease should be suitable.

• Our official recommendation is the original post in this thread. Any silicone grease should be suitable.
    Oh, sorry. I misread that. Well, in fear of the recently postet "I don't get the rim off"-problem, I bought LIQUI MOLY 3312 Silicone-Grease and LIQUI MOLY 7389 Pro-Line Silicone-Spray in my panic last weekend. ;) I will follow your reommendation and try the grease first. Thanks for your posting!

• Our official recommendation is the original post in this thread. Any silicone grease should be suitable.
    Oh, sorry. I misread that. Well, in fear of the recently postet "I don't get the rim off"-problem, I bought LIQUI MOLY 3312 Silicone-Grease and LIQUI MOLY 7389 Pro-Line Silicone-Spray in my panic last weekend. ;) I will follow your reommendation and try the grease first. Thanks for your posting!
    afaik the Liqui Moly 3312 Silicon-Grease should be fine as its a dielectric one.
  • Hi,

Here my QR now after trying to take my wheel off... Asked for support, it's quite impossible to put it on & take it off.

Not normal imo.

• Had the sort of that problem. My wheel got stuck half way on, and almost impossible to take of.. Must be something with the hub dimensions. Factory fail, maybe

• Well I think it shouldn't be nessessary for customers to buy grease to use the products. Seems silly, but I get why. :-)

• Already tried with grease...

• Me to.. Didn't help much, so now I'm waiting for my RMA, and hopefully they can fix it.

• I asked for support, but I don't know if they received it. I haven't received a confirmation or a ticket incident by mail. Don't know if the web site is totally operating.

If you are having issues even after applying grease, then you should definitely contact support.

@Daniel Di Niro I've sent you a PM.

• I am hoping I get some info on my RMA soon... Just want to drive :-)

• Just my two cents... I too, have to use Silicone grease (Shin-Etsu g-3w-0-m applied only to rubber) to get the wheel on (No wobble or play here ... great). However, I do notice while immediately after application the wheel is fairly easy to remove (some effort) But after a period time that while wheel is still removeable, more effort is required to remove, but at least it is possible. Unlike my first "dry installation " where I sweated it out for 3-5 minutes of hard/slow pulls on the slip-ring 😓. That being said I am very happy the tightness of the fit (unlike some Youtube reviews) no slop in this wheel.😂

Note: all my wheels are based 2015 UH (3@ pre-Xbox) and a 2015 Carbon F1

• Just to say that my problem is being solved by support. Fast and professional. Thanks for all.

• Never ever use any petroleum based lubricant when dealing with rubber or any other not metal compounds. It will cause the rubber ring to swell on the Podium shafts and you will not be able to get the wheel off.

• I've Just got my DD2 and both my wheels are extremely hard to remove or replace. I understand that this thread says to use grease but this thread is from 2019 and this is still happening in 2023. Bit disappointing that Fanatec haven't fixed this problem in 4 years.