CSL wheel base 1.1 - Firmware update problem

Hi I bought the new CSL Elite Wheel Base V1.1, I installed the drivers Fanatec_64_driver_336_beta,

but I have the 629 firmware and a when  I try to update to the new firmware,  this happens:

-         the blue LED starts to flash and the following message appears

-         I press the connect button, but appears this message:

“Fanatec Wheel is not found – Please connect the wheel correctly and set it into bootloader mode”

How to solve?

The steering wheel works and I tried to use all the usb ports I have….

Thanks in advance

Comments

• edited December 2019

Have you restarted your PC after this? Often, a PC restart is needed after the very first time of starting the firmware update as it installs a bootloader driver that may need a Windows restart to make it work properly.

Do you have USB power saving enabled in Windows? If yes, try and see if switching it off helps.

• Thanks for the reply but unfortunately the suggestions you proposed don't work.

The problem remains the connection during the bootloader I stop on page 25 of the manual and I can't do 26.

https://fanatec.com/media/pdf/72/c2/86/CSL-E-WB-Manual_1jkpIcIVN6pE9l.pdf

I also installed the new beta drivers 347 but the problem is the same.

the problem seems  : the update program does not recognize that the steering wheel base is in the bootloader status.

Is a software bug or is a real problem on my new base?

• edited December 2019

Since it's happening on multiple driver versions but no other people are reporting this, it must be something local on your system. Either the wheel base has a problem, or your PC.

There are two ways to start the firmware update: 1) start it through the driver so that the wheel base switches to bootloader mode, or 2) start it by pressing and holding the wheel base power button until the wheel starts up in bootloader mode directly (start with wheel base switched off). Have you tried both methods?

Also, when you use method 2), do you hear Windows play a sound to indicate that the wheel connected to the PC?

Do you have other devices connected to USB ports? Do you have anything connected to the wheel base (e.g. pedals)?

• Since it's happening on multiple driver versions but no other people are reporting this, it must be something local on your system. Either the wheel base has a problem, or your PC.

There are two ways to start the firmware update: 1) start it through the driver so that the wheel base switches to bootloader mode, or 2) start it by pressing and holding the wheel base power button until the wheel starts up in bootloader mode directly (start with wheel base switched off). Have you tried both methods?

----) Yes, but there is  the same problem.

Also, when you use method 2), do you hear Windows play a sound to indicate that the wheel connected to the PC?

----) Not always , sometimes i must disconect and reconect to usb port, but the problem reamains.

Do you have other devices connected to USB ports? Do you have anything connected to the wheel base (e.g. pedals)?

----) No. No. I tried also the procedures  with only the mouse and wheel base connected to usb ports.

What can i try?

What about if I'll try to update the firmware on another PC ?

• edited December 2019

You can only get out of bootloader mode by unplugging the wheel base from the mains.

I think the best thing to do is to find another PC or laptop, install the Fanatec driver and try to update the firmware. If you get the same problem, then the wheel base has a problem.

Does your PC have USB2.0 ports?

• Ok ty.

I have usb ports 2.0 and 3.0.

For the try another PC , is better old or new PC?

• Old or new does not really matter. It's recommended to connect the wheel to an USB2.0 port, though.

• LOL SOLVED !!!! Updated on another PC !

Now leds on base wheel works too.

Thank you for support.

• Good news, thanks for letting us know. Still inconvenient though that it won't update on your own PC...

• yes is strange, let's see at next firmware update ....

• I have problems like that... Try 100 times to update and no succes. Can anyone please tell me how to do it?

• LOL same problem ! But i fast solved with old PC.

• I had exactly the same problem after a system rebuild. Turns out the wheel only works properly when plugged into a USB 2 port. Trying to use a USB 3 port resulted in all sorts of weirdness - specifically firmware update fails and very severe lag in wheel movements - do a sharp turn and the wheel movement in the game took over a second to catch up! (iRacing, Project Cars, et al, all had the excessive lag until I switched to USB 2)

• someone solved?

• wow in 2023 not solved yet !

awesome!