Please somebody clarify which drive, folder and subfolder Fanatec & Fanalab need to go into to work

I'm sure the problem is to do with where I have both the programs installed. When I install Fanatec it wants to default to the D: drive - is that wrong? Should I force it into the C: drive? If so exactly which destination folder? Program Files or Program Files (X86)? Please spell it out for me! I seem to have tried every combination without success.

When both are installed does Fanalab then sit beside Fanatec in the same folder or do I put the Fanalab program inside the Fanatec file? Or vice versa?  

I am on driver 346 and WB FW 662 because I read somewhere on this forum that Fanalab doesn't work with 347 and 664 which I previously had installed.  Fanalab has been continually asking me to install the Fanatec drivers but they are already on my PC! But clearly in the wrong place and they are not seeing each other...

I have a V2.5 base clubsport formula wheel and V3 pedals.

Heeeelllp!

Comments

• Aaron ScottAaron Scott Member
    edited December 2019

yikes, did you completely remove and delete the 347 files before loading the 346? im no computer technician, but i have read that all files must be deleted before you reinstall.

As for where , the setup wizard handled all that for me.

However, it may give the support shivers , but ill be watching this as Santa comes early with my Obelisk today.

I hope it dosen't become self-aware and Borg assimilation me.

• Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    edited December 2019

Ideally you should install into "Program Files (X86) the same driuve as ther profiles folder. Try uninstalling the app along with deleting the Fanatec folder in "C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Fanatec

• Thanks Aaron... however meanwhile back on planet Earth with  Joseph and I, I have to report that having followed the instructions to install both folders to Program Files (X86) and deleting the Fanatec folder in C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Fanatec I am still getting the error message "Please install Fanatec Driver Package before using Fanalab". when the Fanalab tries to launch. I have driver package 346 and WB FW 662 installed!

The Fanatec folder is next to the Fanalab folder in Program Files (X86) - they are there side by side - Fanatec and Fanalab. Why is it not seeing it?

• Because thats still the wrong driver folder.

The defaults driver path is C:\Programs\Fanatec\Fanatec Wheel.

The default FanaLab path is C:\Programs(x86)\Fanatec\Fanalab.

So they have to be installed in two different locations in drive C, NOT both in the x86 folder.

• Ok. I installed each one separately in the correct driver folder, Fanatec wheel first (all connected and pedal functions working)  and Fanalab second. However when I looked in both folders, each folder had both in there, Fanatec and Fanalab both sat next to each other in both folders! Is that supposed to happen? I tried to launch Fanalab but still got the message "Please install Fanatec Driver Package before using Fanalab"

I then deleted the Fanalab from the Program Files folder and Fanatec from the Program(X86)  folder, so that each had only one in, as per your clear instruction above, and tried to launch Fanalab again. I get the same driver install message.

What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?

• Unfortunately you probably still have pointers to the wrong directories (maybe in the registry?) - you cannot just delete folders.

I suggest you uninstall completely by using the uninstall in Control Panel

and then reinstall and let the install software recommend the folders (and check they are as noted above).

If you have deleted folders and your uninstall file is not cleaning up properly you may need to install into the same (wrong) folders you used initially and then uninstall these so all links are cleaned up (using the uninstall in Control Panel). Bit of a chore.

I did install my drivers and fanalab to another hard drive, which mostly worked fine .... but after updates etc I often ran into the same problem you have - so I did what I have suggested above and had no problems since ie reinstall and let the install software recommend the folders (and check they are as noted above)

ie

The defaults driver path is C:\Programs\Fanatec\Fanatec Wheel.

The default FanaLab path is C:\Programs(x86)\Fanatec\Fanalab.

Good luck!