Going around in Circles with the new Oval Rim

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
edited May 2014 in Blog
So your favorite style is to always drive in the same direction and slipstream is more important to you than high-tech? Try out the NEW OVAL RIM for your ClubSport Wheel.

It is an authentic 1:1 replica of the original steering wheels and is covered with suede leather. The soft hub cover in the middle can be exchanged against a metal hub cover just like on the Classic rim but in black colour.

The dish is deeper than the Classic but the diameter is the same with 350 mm. That is the same diameter as they have in the NASCAR race cars.

And in order to keep the original design we added just one button. In fact it is an encoder button so you can map 7 functions to it.

It will be available this summer at a price of 349,95 USD / EUR (excl.tax  / incl. tax)

Comments

• Any info on the weight of this and classic rim??
  • Not my style, but I'm starting to get excited that we could see yet more rims..fingers croseed for something DTM style :)
  • Well, even though I have had and still have reservations on many things Fanatec related; I always stated I would purchase a 350mm Momo style Nascar rim for the CSW when produced.  

Well you got a big thumbs up and sale from me here Thomas.   :-bd    Thanks for listening to the community and developing this.  I was a little worried when I saw the Classic rim at first.  Knowing you by now, I knew you had more up your sleeve.  Great job on this!   

Now I have to get this rim signed up like my BMW!
  • edited May 2014
    I knew there would be more rims coming.

Hopefully we will see a lightweight authentic Rally rim later this week :))

Same price as the BMW M3 GT2 Rim of course :))
  • Bare with me I am on the SAE system of measurement but as far as I understand 35cm and 350mm is the same right? so both the Stockcar and Classic rim are the same diameter?
  • Bare with me I am on the SAE system of measurement but as far as I understand 35cm and 350mm is the same right? so both the Stockcar and Classic rim are the same diameter?
    Yes they are.
  • = good looking rims great job Fanatec D>
  • edited May 2014
    Salute Thomas, I'm a Fanatec Fanboy because I Like U're enthusiasm to the Sim Race. I'm only an Ps3 User and I've all the new Fanatec stuff. What I've feel and see every day is. If bigger the rim so faster the engine/the power of the FF, is going down! For Ps3 (GT5/6 and Grid2) the size of the formula rim is perfect. No issuese with the Power of the FF. so I need an rim like the Audi RMS Ultra GT3 has. It is not formula style and not like the BMW rim. may be U think about it to try an prototype of this type style of wheel rim. we (the Fanatec community) are fastidious with the rims in the past. like the formula and bmw rim. so for me @ the first look the new wheel rim is to fall short of one's expectaions.

dont understand it wrong, it is open kritik ;)

greez

• For the price, a chat/intercom button on the left wheel spoke would have been a smart addition. Real fail there from Fanatec.
    The rest of the wheels look and  design is very nice.
  • Ryan HammRyan Hamm Member
    edited May 2014
    Looks like a nice wheel.
  • Hello there.  

Please can you help.  When I turn on my wheel and it has callibrated, the center spring is enable and the wheel returns to its center if I move the wheel left or right at all.  When I put my GT2 wheel into PC mode the wheel center spring is not active, the wheel will not return to the center when I let go, it just stays there. If I put the wheel into XBOX mode the center is enabled again.

I am a PC gamer and the wheel is acting like this in the sims I play. (rFacor/GameStockCar/Race07 it is almost undriveable. Exiting the corners I have to move the wheel to its center myself almost rather than letting the wheel do the work and feather through my hands.  

This is not how it should be, please help! :)

Thanks a lot.
  • Hi Chris,

did you check out this FAQ article which is perfectly related to your "issue"?
    http://eu.fanatec.com/index.php?route=support/faq/details&id=65

The Xbox 360 sends a center spring to pull the wheel to the center. The wheel generates a center spring by itself if not in PC mode. If you enter PC mode the wheel has to de-activate the center spring because it would interfere with the FFB of the games. Some games would not de-activate it and the whole FFB would be messed up. So the spring will be de-activated in PC mode and the games can send the effects they want to have on the wheel.

All the best!
  • Hello Armin. 

Thanks for pointing me to that post and explaining the issue.  So that's great, there is not a problem with my wheel. :) The only problem is, is that I have the force feedback settings in rfactor set on -100% and the wheel still does not seem to straighten up running smooth through my hands when exiting corners like I would expect it to, like it does with the center spring enabled.  A real cars steering wheel straightens up if you let go, my wheel straightens a little but will continue off in the same direction if I do not give it a helping hand when exiting corners.  Its as if the game is not reversing the effects for me.  Is there any file editing I would need to do ?

Really appreciate your help and reply.  Top man!
  • What is the weight of the rim?
  • Hello Armin. 

Thanks for pointing me to that post and explaining the issue.  So that's great, there is not a problem with my wheel. :) The only problem is, is that I have the force feedback settings in rfactor set on -100% and the wheel still does not seem to straighten up running smooth through my hands when exiting corners like I would expect it to, like it does with the center spring enabled.  A real cars steering wheel straightens up if you let go, my wheel straightens a little but will continue off in the same direction if I do not give it a helping hand when exiting corners.  Its as if the game is not reversing the effects for me.  Is there any file editing I would need to do ?

Really appreciate your help and reply.  Top man!
    So did you set it to -100% just now, or was it like that already? If the latter, does it make a difference if you set it to +100%?
  • Now that my base seems to have died and can not get through to support I am completely utterly pissed the hell off!!! Not having a good week at all. Worked flawlessly since February of last year when I received it then all of the sudden boom random button pushes, loss of calibration, now when I power it on the Leds wont even come on. Profiler recognizes the wheel being attached but it will not do anything at all...... $800 for a year and 2 months? come on now My logitech g25 ran for 6..........
  • BE WARNED, this is a color bleeding rim. And that is not covered under warranty.

• BE WARNED, this is a color bleeding rim. And that is not covered under warranty.

The product pages for GT, Oval and Flat1 rims says the following under features:

ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal hub is NOT included and needed for operation.
    It is highly recommended to use gloves with this rim in order to protect the leather and your hands.

So we are warned. It's up to us to fully read the product page and heed it's warnings.

The product pages for GT, Oval and Flat1 rims says the following under features:

ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal hub is NOT included and needed for operation.
    It is highly recommended to use gloves with this rim in order to protect the leather and your hands.

So we are warned. It's up to us to fully read the product page and heed it's warnings.
    Yes, they did recommend to use gloves. But they did not mention anything about color bleeding, and wearing gloves will NOT stop the crumbs from the rim flying all over the base and surrounding areas.
    This is after the first 3 hours using the rim: