Xbox One Compatibility FAQ and Poll

Comments

• I'm sorry, but anyone who assumed their Xbox 360 peripherals would work on XB1 is an IDIOT. I own a CSL Seat with CSR Elite, CSP and CSS SQ and at no time did I ever assume it would work on anything other than PC/360/ps3. Just like I never assumed my Fanatec Speedster 3 from the original Xbox would work on the 360.

The only assumption I made is that it would be "very likely" that adapters would be available to use the CSP and CSS with other brand wheels and would 100% work with a new Fanatec XB1 wheel.

Without naming names JF, it is very clear that some fail miserably at English comprehension. I passed on the TMTX wheel and just wait for a new Fanatec Clubsport V2 wheel.

• CSR-E was meant to be the best wheel for XBOX360 not an exact twin sister of a CSW but with XBOX support. So xbox compatibility should have been the ONLY reason for a person to prefer CSR-E over CSW. If you wanted to play on xbox, then CSR-E was the only way to go and even discontinuing should not have changed your mind. In any other case, CSW was the only way to go. If xbox support didn't matter to you, then you just did a wrong choice at the time, hoping to get CSW but at a bit cheaper price, and no one else is to be blamed. 

Why should have they discounted the price. Manufacturers usually do that, because newer models are replacing soon to be discontinued model. As newer models should be at the same price level, as older were, they have to discount the older. CSR-E is not replaced with anything.
    Ah you insist on assuming so much, I was not hoping to get a CSW cheap and quite how you got that from what I said is beyond me, discounting stock about to be discontinued is a standard thing all over the tech industry,  I am done discussing this with you, you will defend Fanatec whatever I say and choose to make their lack of communication my fault, had I known they were taking it off the market I would not have bought it and instead gone for the option that would have been in production for some time to come, I did use it on Xbox, but mostly on PC, I would have been less concerned about XBox given that information...Like I said if they had made that clear on order I would have paid the extra for the CSW, I take it you assumed I meant they should have upgraded for free...Not what I said. Now lets stop wasting each others time and just agree to differ on our opinions. Your happy, I'm less so, end of story.
  • you will defend Fanatec whatever I say and choose to make their lack of communication my fault,
    In all honesty you get a lot more info and communication from fanatec than you do from Logitech or Thrustmaster. Just because you yaid €600 for your wheel doesnt mean fanatec are obliged to give you insider information. Buy a Thrustmaster TX or T500 and then tell us how much they communicate to you.
  • Now lets stop wasting each others time and just agree to differ on our opinions. Your happy, I'm less so, end of story.
    CSR-E has been discontinued who knows how long now. It think it is time to move on and not be miserable for the rest of your life over such little material thing.
  • LOL, You don't give up do you, I am not miserable, and ultimately don't give a damn, I shall use my wheel till it dies and move on. I simply gave my views on the situation, I think they could have handled it better and their communication about that one thing was zilch, Nada, none at all. It just happened. Now any more life advise before I shut this tab down and get on with the rest of my life? Or are we finished?
  • Now any more life advise before I shut this tab down and get on with the rest of my life? Or are we finished?
    I am done discussing this with you, you will defend Fanatec whatever I say 
    Yeah, this one last thing. I wouldn't say no matter what. If you would say there seems to be quality control issues (whether it is done in Chinese factory or in Germany), I would actually agree with you, but in current issue we disagree.
  • So it sounds like there are 2 primary issues with making an adapter for existing CSR wheels. 1) the need for a security chip 2) development both physical interface and software . If you are planning a new Wheel for the Xbox One then you will also need to source this security chip. It seems like it would be a good idea not only to make an Xbox One wheel, but also make the adapter. I can't see the new wheel being a wholesale throw away of your old one. Software and interface difference I totally understand, but you would not want to make significant mechanical changes to a tried and true product. Why not make the Xbox Adapter? You should do a new poll:

A. "Would you sell your existing CSR Wheel that works on PC and Xbox 360 to purchase a new Xbox One wheel"

B. "Would you be willing to spend up to $100 to buy an adapter to allow your existing Xbox 360 CSR Wheel to work on your Xbox One".

To A my answer would be no because I'll take too much of a loss on a used product, to buy a new one at retail. I'd rather just continue to boycott Forza 5 and just continue to race on my PC

To B I would say Yes. I'd like it even better at $59 or $69, but I'd be willing to spend up to $100 on an adapter understanding you have to make back your development costs + some profit. You need to start asking some different questions of the community. We know it is not your fault the current wheel doesn't work, but we also know you are the only ones that can ultimately address it. We are not asking you to address at a financial loss.

R.
  • So it sounds like there are 2 primary issues with making an adapter for existing CSR wheels. 1) the need for a security chip 2) development both physical interface and software . 
    It is not only security chip. You'll also have to get a persmission from Microsoft to make such adapter to make current wheels compatible. As far as I understand, it is not like after getting this chip you can make whatever product you desire with it. You can only make what exactly they allow you to do with it.
  • Heh, okay Marek that is something we do agree on...Fingers crossed mine is still going, though it does sometimes make an odd noise on start up...Couple of restarts and it goes away. The poor reliabilaty of the Elite the reason for it quietly being dropped where the more reliable CSR remains? I have to wonder...
  • Well Paul, CSR doesn't differ that much from GT3RS and Elite doesn't differ much from CSW (mostly electronics-wise). As I have a CSW going strong for 19 months now, but both GT3RS's failed within a year or so, I would expect CSR to be less reliable, but you never know. I guess only Fanatec team knows what are their most reliable and least reliable wheels.
  • Ha ha Only Fanatic know right enough, just maybe there were lessons learned from the Elite that went into the CSW...Ah who knows. That is just supposition and I have no real idea. Given my CSR-E was one of the last made, with a bit of luck those rather famous reliability issues had been sorted and I will enjoy it's long and happy life :) and despite my feelings on the way things panned out I do like the wheel, just wish we had something like the BMW rim for it...
  • Ryan HammRyan Hamm Member
    edited May 2014
    All the internet tears in this thread are hilarious.  It was pretty obvious a year ago what was going to happen with the CSR-E because of how Microsoft has screwed people in the past.  Your CSR-E still works just fine with the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC just like it was advertised.  I'm pretty sure Microsoft hasn't sent out a patch to kill Xbox 360s yet.  I'm pretty sure the CSR-E will also work with Playstation 4 racing games when they come out but there aren't any yet.

I'm still having lots of fun with my CSR-E on my PC.  I gave up on console racing games long ago because the Forza 4 and Forizon Horizon DLC train left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • steven loxtonsteven loxton Member
    edited May 2014
    sure I could mod it, though with the Elite it is not really a simple job, though having the original rim sitting in a cupboard does mean I have one to cannibalise if I so choose.
    actually the CSR-E is probably the most mod freindly wheel out there along side the CSW . i also have a CSR elite wheel (modded with quick release,after market rim with paddle shifters, stronger ffb motors and better cooling), i am not mad at fanatec, i hate MS for shafting everyone. what i think fanatec should do? if i were in charge i would got to work on geting new wheels produced that use all the same barebones as the current fanatec wheels but perhaps change the design of the rim itself, then offer the new PCBs with the new security chips as an available spare part that will fit with the older wheels so people could upgrade if they choose. but thats just my opinion, there may be things that prevent them from doing that sort of thing.
  • Hi Thomas. Have you considered increasing the modularity of your future products? I mean separating the platform specific (ps3/4, xbox 360/One, pc) computer/interface part from the wheel mechanics (motors, belts, pulleys, etc). If people are willing to buy different rims to be used on different driving games, surely they would accept having to buy a new computer/interface part when a new system comes out.
  • Ah Steve you are obviously more adept at that kind of thing than I, we don't all share the same skill sets you know. When the inevitable happens and my wheel does go the way of all things, I will research exactly those things, when there is nothing to lose I shall attempt to resurrect it better than before. Until then I will live with my F1 rim, though I would have dearly loved something like the BMW rim for my CSR-E, alas it is not to be.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Hi Thomas. Have you considered increasing the modularity of your future products? I mean separating the platform specific (ps3/4, xbox 360/One, pc) computer/interface part from the wheel mechanics (motors, belts, pulleys, etc). If people are willing to buy different rims to be used on different driving games, surely they would accept having to buy a new computer/interface part when a new system comes out.
    Neither MS nor Sony will ever license a separate electronic component as this is just a back door to avoid buying complete licensed products. And with one electronics module you could run several completely different products.

We LOVE this idea but it is not feasible for that reason and on PC it is not needed.
  • Neither MS nor Sony will ever license a separate electronic component as this is just a back door to avoid buying complete licensed products. And with one electronics module you could run several completely different products. 
    We LOVE this idea but it is not feasible for that reason and on PC it is not needed.
    Hi Thomas, when can we expect PS4 compatibility update??
  • Kevin WattsKevin Watts Member
    edited May 2014
    Act Labs used to have a cartridge system on their wheels many years ago IIRC, if such a device had a proprietary connector that would only fit Fanatec devices and were shaped so they fitted into a slot only Fanatec devices supported say a CSW v2 could that be done?
  • What are all you people on about? The adapters are already on the market; CronusMax, Titan One, MaxRace F1... I've been using my CSR, Clubsport pedals, and CSR Seq shifter on Forza 5 for atleast a month now and am LOVING IT. 

I can't speak for the other adapters, but I'm using the CronusMax and it works fantastic! There isn't official FFB atm(although, currently getting rumble translated from controller rumbles and ABS rumble from fanatec built-in function, SPR also works great to add weight to the wheel), but damn it's still better than that garbage thrustmaster gave(haha $400, gave.. yeah right) us. 

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain if you have soft hands, but I actually like to tinker, so the whole process has been a joy. Fanatec blew it IMO and have obviously already lost alot of return customers because of it. Unless I just haven't seen the announcement, when will they plan to bring a wheel to XboxOne, Forza 7?
  • The poll is a bit disingenuous.  Of COURSE Fanatec is not responsible for decisions by MS, but what Fanatec IS responsible for is not getting ahead of the game and developing a wheel for the XBox One.  Fanatec is to blame for not developing a wheel for the XBox One, but that is not an option in the poll.
  • Why wait six months to tell us you were unprepared for the Xbox One launch? It's not like the XB1 was launched by surprise, you had years to work with Microsoft on your plan before launch. We all knew it was coming. This announcement should have been made last October.

You should have developed an new board that would allow you to sell new official XB1 versions of your existing wheel products. The "new" FF protocol is about how the system communicates FF with the wheel, it does not specify that new FF motors or new physical architecture be in place. You could have offered a discount to existing owners to buy this new wheel. We would have known what we were getting into.

If there was a "wait list" for these chips, because as you say, Thrustmaster is a bigger company and got more attention, then you should have told us when the chips will be available and have your new wheel design ready to go. A date. Preorder page. Some sense of what's next besides just leaving us all out to hang.

Now I have $1000s of hardware sitting there collecting dust, and no plan stated on whats going to happen with it. I would buy a new Fanatec wheel today if it meant I could use the pedals and shifters, and I don't need it to be anything different that the CS or GT wheels you have now. They are great.

Yes, Microsoft has policies. But you had a responsibility to understand those policies, form a plan, and communicate that to your customers BEFORE LAUNCH.
    Why is your equipment collecting dust? I have a bunch tied up in my Elite and CSP's, but I just keep on using the 360, as Devs are still pumping out new racing titles. Matter of fact...they are producing more racing titles for the 360 than the XBoxOne.

The main reason I dont buy an XBOne is exactly that. not to mention you can still use it on PC.
  • Roger SneadRoger Snead Member
    edited June 2014
    @ Jason Farris...Why is your equipment collecting dust? I have a bunch tied up in my
    Elite and CSP's, but I just keep on using the 360, as Devs are still
    pumping out new racing titles. Matter of fact...they are producing more
    racing titles for the 360 than the XBoxOne.

The main reason I dont buy an XBOne is exactly  that, not to mention you can still use it on PC.
    Sorry for the "double post". It did not work like I thought, using the quote function.
  • Thomas in practice that I have the csr elite paid 600 Euros and paid the formula rim 180 that I have to do? I have to throw them? compatibility but I figured I spent $ 780 2 years ago it is impossible that a product is not compatible after 2 years? thanks
    So your product is not compatible with PC and XBOX360 and PS3 anymore? Well then your product is broken.
    Sigh...Well you take it as you wish, Thomas you did promise more rims in a video you made way back, I did not buy a phone I bought what I thought was a flagship product that turned out to be outdated and discontinued soon after I bought it. What makes it worse is it is a dead end product, what makes it worse is I had no clue that was going to be the case, what makes it worse is you seem not to give a damn and admit all you want is my money and think that it is fine to keep your customers in the dark up till the last moment. You think I believe for one moment you had no idea you were discontinuing the Elite long before I bought it? Really? Ah well it is what it is, I have lost confidence in Fanatec, am amazed that you compare your product to a mobile phone and will take my business elsewhere in future.

Marek thank you for your insulting and pointless input.
    I still don't understand what does it matter whether it is discontinued or not. Doesn't something work anymore that used to work. Does it miss something other Fanatec wheels have gained since CSR-Elite was discontinued? I can't think of anything. You got exactly what was advertised. 

About insulting, yes this probably is the only thing I do well in this life, but I'm a relaxed cool guy and usually take things as a joke, not take offense easily, but it seems it cannot be said about many people.

• Thomas in practice that I have the csr elite paid 600 Euros and paid the formula rim 180 that I have to do? I have to throw them? compatibility but I figured I spent $ 780 2 years ago it is impossible that a product is not compatible after 2 years? thanks
    So your product is not compatible with PC and XBOX360 and PS3 anymore? Well then your product is broken.
    Sigh...Well you take it as you wish, Thomas you did promise more rims in a video you made way back, I did not buy a phone I bought what I thought was a flagship product that turned out to be outdated and discontinued soon after I bought it. What makes it worse is it is a dead end product, what makes it worse is I had no clue that was going to be the case, what makes it worse is you seem not to give a damn and admit all you want is my money and think that it is fine to keep your customers in the dark up till the last moment. You think I believe for one moment you had no idea you were discontinuing the Elite long before I bought it? Really? Ah well it is what it is, I have lost confidence in Fanatec, am amazed that you compare your product to a mobile phone and will take my business elsewhere in future.

Marek thank you for your insulting and pointless input.
    I still don't understand what does it matter whether it is discontinued or not. Doesn't something work anymore that used to work. Does it miss something other Fanatec wheels have gained since CSR-Elite was discontinued? I can't think of anything. You got exactly what was advertised. 

About insulting, yes this probably is the only thing I do well in this life, but I'm a relaxed cool guy and usually take things as a joke, not take offense easily, but it seems it cannot be said about many people.

Absolutely agree! Keep on using it on the 360. Hell with xbox One...hardly any racing titles anyway.
  • This company is a joke!
    By the time they release a new wheel for Xbox One we will have a Xbox2 in our rooms.
    If it takes them so many years to develop a new product maybe they should consider doing something
    else like growing potatoes for example.
    We are not spoiled in US- we work hard for our money and expect that you do the same in Europe.
    Move your research and development department in US and be competitive or be gone!
    For the people that are happy with you I can only say to keep buying your outdated stuff and be Happy, but most of Us are not.
    Good Luck!
  • I know it'll be a while, but I'm still hoping Fanatec can develop a PS4/XB1/PC wheel so I can go back to having a single wheel and enjoying everything.

Currently I have a CSR / Clubsports for PC/PS3, and a Thrustmaster TX / Clubsports for the XB1 (I had to make my own CSP->TX pedal converter using a microcontroller dev board).

Just some thoughts
    1. The Thrustmaster TX is not wireless, it's USB to the XB1, so I think that might be something customers would accept rather than a presumably more expensive wireless option.
    2. At least in FM5 you can have a controller and the wheel simultaneously logged in to the same gamertag, so you can view around and use voice chat from the controller, then use the wheel in games, if MS allow that on any driving game, then it'll reduce the need for inbuilt voice/chat capability on the wheel.

The Thrustmaster TX / CSP combo is actually very good, it works great on XB1/PC, but I just like Fanatec's more configurable system so I hope something is in the works..
  • Any word on the new wheel for Xbox One. I would much rather buy this than the new Mad Catz releasing next week. Any info?
  • Luc OuelletLuc Ouellet Member
    edited July 2014
    Any idea when PS4 compatibility will be discussed?