New here. Trying to get started with Fanatec

Hello. I currently don't have any sim racing gear, but I have a gaming PC and monitors. With the price and stock situation of entry level Logitech and Thrustmaster stuff right now, I feel it makes sense to jump straight to the Fanatec CSL Elite. I have a few questions though if anyone can help.

In US, the PS4 starter kit is CSL Elite Base v1.1 is $350. The same base for PS4 is $400. The PS4 starter kit is $600 or $570 after discount including $100 pedals. So, the wheel coming with the PS4 starter kit is only $100.

But, the cheapest wheel available is the ClubSport Steering Wheel F1 Esports for $250. Why is the wheel that comes with the PS4 Starter Kit not sold separately to use with the non-PS4 base?

Last question, do both the CSL Elite V1.1 and CSL Elite PS4 take the same driver and firmware updates? Will they both be supported the same into the future?

Comments

• You are right, all the other brands are marked up like crazy right now, even the used market. I'll try and answer some of what you asked since I just went through the research myself and purchased the CSL Elite Base v1.1.

The CSL Elite PS4/PC base is actually $50 more that the XB1/PC version because Sony charges licensing fees for peripherals and Xbox does not.

If I had it to do over I would pay the extra $50 for the PS4 CSL Elite base because you can add an Xbox compatible wheel to that base and that makes it compatible with all three platforms. (PS4 compatibility is tied to the base, XB1 compatibility is tied to the wheel)

The CSL Elite PS4/PC Wheel is sold out as an individually packaged retail item, perhaps due to the possibility that those wheel/base bundles are pre-packaged? Or perhaps they reserve an allotment of those wheels to be sold with the bases so the "entry point" remains the higher priority.

I got lucky and got My wheel and pedal set from a local craigslist sale and I just needed the base.

• I'll definitely be playing on PC, but you just doubled my cost of entry. Can't justify spending that much to myself when I'm not even sure I'll enjoy it.

• Have you used both? Is it really worth double? I have the money to buy something more expensive, but its just not how i am comfortable spending money.

• I can and have read all the specs. I understand the differences on paper. But will that actually translate to 2x the realism or 2x the fun? I doubt it. If could get a Logitech or Thrustmaster for their previously low prices, I would do that to start with, but its just not available.

It seems like you are just suffering from "grass is greener" syndrome. You are raving about the ClubSport 2.5 but have never even used it. Stick with what you have until it doesn't work anymore. Don't let what you are missing take away from what you already have.

If you must, sell if while its still in good shape to help pay for the upgrade you so desire.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

• I have the money. I choose not to spend it. I have an NB Miata, lots of fun, but I don't track it or anything like that. Just do back roads sometimes.

I wasnt trying to get into a fight about what is good and how much better it is. My original questions were about availability of stand-alone cheaper wheels and about drivers and future support. Probably questions that cannot be answered by anyone outside Fanatec.

• i have tried both, i ran the 2.5 on i racing and ACC for about a year before ever trying the CSL Elite, i used to sim race at a place with membership and would get in maybe 2 hours a week, now i purchased an elite because it is multi compatible and even if it doesn't work for the new ps5 later we still have it for pc for i racing, if you watch twitch and some popular sim racing streaming guys a lot of them are using elite, even though it is fair to say the vast majority is on the 2.5 but for double the price i would not say it is worth the 2nm, simple. I and many others would say spend the extra money on a shifter and brake cell or better pedals entirely. even a cockpit u may be able to find in the price, so you do have to weigh it out. I think your on track though,

• Thanks for the input. I did see a good deal on a cockpit today and ordered it. Still don't have wheel and pedals. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still planning to get CSL when Fanatec get some stock.