Uninterruptible Power Supply For DD1

I had a power failure last night with 5 minutes left in my race and since my DD1 is plugged directly into a 115vac/15amp AC wall outlet per the Fanatec DD1 documentation, I lost my steering and crashed. All of my other equipment: routers, computers, etc. are on high quality UPS sources and of course they all were operational and I stayed online without a glitch.

So, I would like to put my DD1 on a UPS so this never happens again. So my question to Fanatec is: Is this possible and if so what UPS output do you recommend?

I have previously tried to use my DD1 with a 900W/1500va UPS and it would occasionally freak out and lock up in the middle of a race so I learned pretty quickly, that was a bad idea!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator

It is best and highly suggested to plug directly into the wall however if you choose to plug into a surge protector, make sure it's a quality build and use the AV Receiver or TV Monitor input.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Robert,

Our products are not designed for use with an emergency power supply, therefore we can't recommend one.

A direct drive wheel base is an extremely active device. It can pull 0 or 200-400W out of the power supply like an on/off switch constantly. It may drain a UPS faster than it charges. UPS' may not be up to the task of handling such a load.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• What about if he gets a more powerful UPS with more than enough back up capability? Can't that work?

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Beyond a certain specification it should work, but it's not something we can recommend.

• Dominic, could you do us a favor and forward this question to the Fanatec engineering department? I’d be very interested also. It’s a bit of an easy way out to just say it’s not something Fanatec would recommend. I’m imagining saying that to my boss with no other explanation!! Lol - an opportunity to enjoy unemployment

• Rex NLNRex NLN Member
    edited July 2022

I know this is old, but I just ran across the same issue. When the power goes out, or a circuit breaker is tripped, all of my computing equipment stays on but the wheel dies immediately. Especially in the summer with A/Cs, this can be an issue.

It takes someone in the house about 60 seconds to reset the breaker, and it sure would be nice not to crash people (and myself) out when it happens. At least buy myself enough time to pull over.

I understand that Fanatec isn't going to stick their neck out and officially recommend something, I'm just wondering if anyone has had success in anything they've tried. I'm thinking that a 1,000W UPS would handle it, but the rapid change in draw is probably something that it wasn't designed for, so it's just speculation on my part at this point.